Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people

Go down 
+2
alj
Betty Fasig
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people Empty
PostSubject: Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people   Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 5:34 pm

I had seen the movies about how the Egyptians had constructed the Pyramids with lots of slaves and not any mechanical machinery that helped with the movement of all those great rocks and lifting them up to the top. The theory looked pretty simple for moving a fiberglass house around a corner and back about 40 feet. David and I considered we could do it. After all we are not just a couple of pretty faces!

We took the old four inch sewer pvc that had been under the old trailer, sawed it into two pieces, used a jack iron and a concrete block, hoisted the whole house up on one end, shoved the big pipe under that end and went for the front.

There we were. We must have jacked that house up 50 times, adjusted the pipes, wiggled and Wriggled and finally we could go straight back.

I know that those Egyptians had more than one slave! I began to feel used and yelled at and then the pipe dropped on my big toe. Did I cry??? Hell no! I danced!

It only rained on us twice. The flowers looked happy, the dogs were dirty and soggy, my toe hurt, David was exhausted but the house was finally in place.

Tomorrow is a new day.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people   Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Quote :
I know that those Egyptians had more than one slave!

Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people 973110
Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people   Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 12:24 am

Betty,
I could visualize the actions you took, but just as pictures can distort the reality of the actual work, I may have missed out on all the sweat, grunting and cursing that ensued.
Did it all work out in the end?
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people   Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 5:19 am

Sounds like you used the system used by the people who moved my parents house back about 1948. The were accustomed to doing it in Pittsburgh where everything is on the side of one steep hill or another. They told my parents to set a full glass of water on the kitchen table and guaranteed that not a drop would spill. They were right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people   Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 11:46 pm

Betty, you really had me laughing. We have used that method to move a heavy manger for the cows. If they feed for any length of time in the rain, it gets really muddy and nasty on each end. A large limb and portiond of tree trunk work pretty good when placed under the manger, and a cable attched around it make easy work for towing it with the 4wheel drive truck.

Getting the slippery logs under the muddy manger (which sits directly on the ground) is the real trick. But we have managed to move it along the fence to fresh sollid ground many times using that method. We didn't have any pvc pipe laying around, but the logs work great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people   Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 12:52 am

Puts a whole new slant on moving house!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people   Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people Empty

Back to top Go down

Moving a 9 by 12 house, Two people
Page 1 of 1