Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?

Go down 
+13
Betty Fasig
Pam
Dick Stodghill
alj
Rhymer
zadaconnaway
RunsWithScissors
dtpollard
Phil Whitley
Shelagh
dkchristi
Afinerosesheis
E. Don Harpe
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 10:31 am

Mel, hatred scares me, too.
Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 10:50 am

In times of economic uncertainty and downright recession, people look for control over something or someone that can be blamed. It helps if they can make sure their choice doesn't look like or come from the same background or culture as they do. It's easier if a target is readily visible so you can easily point. The Nazi's made them wear the
Star of David in case the visible distinctions were not sufficient.

I work in a predominantly Mexican, Haitian and Guatemalan community, about 1% white, Anglo (and I'm probably the 1%). Historically, undocumented workers were in high demand in this country so we could eat cheap off the backs of people living worse than many animals. Some things have improved. There are now porto potties in the fields, a place separate from the pesticides to wash and eat, and water. Housing is still astronomical for sheds that house several families without one modicum of privacy.

But the lovely local Rotarians (you know, those people who put wells in Africa and fight Polio worldwide), the ones who are locals in the same 1% as me, the board members; they recently passed a rule on the water and sewer board that all water and sewer would be cut off if the user did not have a U.S. ID., without notice, with no regard as to whether they paid their bill. That would fix those undocumented workers and get rid of them, even though most of their children are U.S. citizens and all of them work from sun up to sun down in jobs no one else will take at pitiful wages and pay their water and sewer and exorbitant rents. So those afraid they would be deported away from their U.S. citizen children were relegated to find water at community parks and defecate in the fields like animals with no recourse.

Fortunately, several advocates for these poor souls put it in the newspaper, about how Canadian ID's and the ID's from other Western European countries were sufficient for water and sewer; the water for paying customers was turned back on eventually, as long as they had a valid ID from any country.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Afinerosesheis
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 10:54 am

alj wrote:
Ahh, Legends of the Fall! The character, Tristan, makes me think of Audie Murphy, as I came to "know" him. I really, really liked that one.

Ann

I loved Legends of the Fall. In that scene where Tristan comes riding in on his horse with the long black coat made me nearly swoon. And I don't swoon! I even wanted to name Adrian Tristan. Hubby didn't like that idea. He's a stick in the mud sometimes. LOL

I always liked Brad Pitt until he dumped Jennifer Aniston for Jolie and all the babies. Now I don't like him anymore.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 11:02 am

Think about it. How would it be in marriage to a man whose whole career is play-acting being attractive to women? It's probably like the plumber with faucets that leak. Once the play-acting is over, there's nothing left.

I must say, though, I had a thing for Paul Newman. He and his wife seemed to separate themselves from the glam and live a sort of normal life while contributing to charities and such.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 11:23 am

I still have stars in my eyes over Robert Redford!!

Another good movie is The Spitfire Grill. I heard "Balm in Gilead" sung for the first time in this movie. Loved it!
Back to top Go down
Afinerosesheis
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 12:56 pm

Nicholas Cage. Not that's a man who gets my blood stirring!

***SIGH***
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 1:43 pm

Viggo Mortensen is my all-time "go to" guy. Not only do I appreciate his fine features, he has a poetic soul. A win-win!
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 2:08 pm

Dick Stodghill wrote:
I'll watch for all of them on TV. The last time we went to a theater to see a movie was 1992.

I am the same, Dick. The last movie I saw in a theater was The Color Purple!

Last edited by zadaconnaway on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 4:17 pm

I love movies. Fried Green Tomatoes is a fave (I even tried to cook the tomatoes like that!). I actually love relationship movies - Love Actually (Hugh Grant!), Moostruck (Nicholas Cage and Barbara Streisand), The Mirror Has Two Faces (Barbara again).

I like to redeem my airmiles for movie passes (it'll take me a million years to fly anywhere with them anyway!) and my daughter and I love getting out to a show.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 4:51 pm

Pam, my wife has mastered fried green tomatoes. So as not to derail
this thread any further, here's her blog post describing the perfect
method.

REBA's FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 5:01 pm

See how you are, Brew/ Tongues flapping out of heads; hahahah. Nice.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks Brew, for the link. I copied it and mailed it in an email to myself. I have finally gotten the bright idea of a recipe folder in my inbox to hold these treasures for me. Now I can save them and not have to wonder which post contained something I want.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 6:02 pm

If you have a Luby's Cafeteria anywhere near you, they do a very good job.

Ann
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 6:05 pm

A Luby's? I will try to remember that the next time I waltz across Texas, Ann. Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Phil,

Your Pam has got to be the greatest cook!

Ann
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 6:16 pm

Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 67296 Phil the thread is fully derailed now, but was looking for a topic that stuck! Besides, I am giggling that Ann thinks your wife's name is Pam, when really you are teaching me how to cook and eat right. I have learned a lot about food in this forum...and clearly one of the ingredients I need more often is cornmeal (I'm going to look for the blended flour, but I might have to create something). We use far too much white flour 'round these parts! Come on summer - I need some tomato plants on my balcony!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 6:29 pm

My bad!! I meant to say Reba. Pam just got in the way. Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 467431
Back to top Go down
Afinerosesheis
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 9:12 pm

I finally watched Twilight tonight. It was a great love story.

Now wonder what happened to Don Harpe...?
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 5:08 am

Maybe he got tired of hearing about all these handsome actors. The thing I like about is I've never heard of any of them except Newman and Redford. As for frying a tomato . . . well, I won't say it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 4:10 pm

** giggling madly **
I think it's the coating on the tomato (and, of course, the oil it's fried in) that really make the flavors pop.

Disclaimer: I have never actually eaten a fried green tomato, so my statement above is conjecture.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 9:30 pm

My daughter's sister-in-law went to the movie theater to see Twilight eight times.

I love Robert Redford, Paul Neuman, and Harrison Ford.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 9:36 pm

I think that Sean Connery will always be my most favorite, and right behind him is Redford and Newman.
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 9:36 pm

Oh, how could I forget Harrison Ford!! And, Michael Douglas!
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Quote :
As for frying a tomato . . . well, I won't say it.

Not just any tomato, Dick. It must be a GREEN tomato.

Didja ever notice how many southern foods begin with the word "fried"?

It took us the better part of a hundred years to get used to not using lard to fry in. I still miss the flavor...
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 4:39 am

And now some nutritionists say that lard and butter are the least unhealthy way to fry things. No trans fats.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?   Am I missing something, or is another thread missing? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I missing something, or is another thread missing?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next