Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors

Go down 
+8
Jenny
Marta Stephens
Don Stephens
Abe F. March
Pam
George Maciver
Shelagh
lynnjett
12 posters
AuthorMessage
lynnjett
One Star Member
One Star Member
lynnjett

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors Empty
PostSubject: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyThu Feb 14, 2008 2:37 pm

This business of writing is a unique. Is it an art or is it a skill? Is it a natural talent or can it be learned? In my humble opinion there are storytellers, writers and authors.

Storytellers are like the untrained natural athlete. They have that "God given" knack for telling a story. Despite their mistakes in grammar, spelling and punctuation; the tone and tempo of the story shines through. The characters are interesting and the plot grabs the reader and forces the reader to continue despite the flaws in writing.

Writers are competent, learned, masters of the English language. They know the rules of grammar and punctuation. They understand how to manipulate the language to beautifully written prose, but they often lack the ability to tell a story. While flawless in its execution, the story is often lost in flowery words and over descriptive text.

Finally there is the Author, a person who has that natural knack for telling a story; yet has spent the time to become proficient in the skills of writing. Authors write stories we love to read.

I for one know I am not a master of English language. I went into engineering because the English language seemed so illogical. Seriously think about it, “I” before “e” except after “c” except in words like weigh (which by the way has the sound of an “a” not an “I” or an “e”). Yet I find myself drawn to putting pen to paper and jotting down these stories in my head. The more I compose the more I enjoy it, and the stories keep coming. The problem I have is taking the time away from the storyteller to become a “writer”.

For me, once I have written a story, it is time to move onto the next. Do others have this experience? If so what suggestions do you have?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/lynnjett
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyThu Feb 14, 2008 3:11 pm

Hi Lynn,

This is a fascinating topic and I will give you a lengthier answer but it's late in he UK and I really need time to think about my answer. Tomorrow, I will be able to think more clearly. For the moment, you could read the first page of The Power of Persuasion and see if you think I'm a writer, author or storyteller. I think I know the answer, so whatever you say, won't surprise me!

You'll find the first page here:

http://www.lulu.com/browse/preview.php?fCID=2048817

Click on the number 1 at the top right of the cover to page 3.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
George Maciver
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 376

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 2:15 am

Hi Lynn, thought provoking and important subject. Here is my take on this, just for you!

https://publishedauthors.forumotion.com/articles-f19/the-fire-within-t169.htm#1050
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 6:15 am

I love this topic Lynn - it's something that I struggled with a bit too. I also enjoyed reading your excerpt Shelagh, and yours George (I sent a reply on your initial thread).
For me, the terms are almost interchangeable; I think that with English we have many words we can use to describe similar things and so we can choose the one that best suits us. It's like how the Inuit have over 100 words for snow.
For a long time I referred to myself as a writer, and was mostly engaged in technical writing. Some time after publishing my first novel, however, I was introduced as an author, which really felt tremendous. I felt like I had been given a promotion or something! The dictionary makes writer and author almost indistinguishable, but for me I love to be descriptive and so the word that is on my business card is wordsmith. To me it brings to mind some of the additional elements of writing that sometimes people do not think of - the craftsman's tools of polishing, editing, chopping, rewriting and polishing some more.
It's funny to me that if I tell people I write they often nod and say things like "Cool I'd love to be a writer" because they really do not know what it means, but they may have a book or two inside of them that they day dream about. When I tell people that I am a wordsmith, then that generally leads to defining what I actually get to do for a living. For me, the wordsmith conversation is generally a much more interesting discussion than the writer one.
Really, I think it boils down to semantics in many ways, as well as the beautiful and colourful words that you choose to describe the things that you are most passionate about doing.
Cheers-and thanks for bringing this up! sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 11:39 am

Well Lynn, George seems to have said it all -- and much better than I ever could. If you applied some of your science skills to your writing you might discover a few hidden gems. I hope you do! Smile
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 12:53 pm

Lynn’s thread is interesting. I think there is a difference between Story tellers, writers and authors.

There are some people who simply don’t have the patience to deal with the minute details of anything and they become bored easily. These people are usually very good managers who know how to delegate. They should stick to telling the story and hire editing help. They might even consider a ghostwriter.

Then there are writers who are in love with style and expressions. They are proud of the wonderful work they did with good grammar and word usage. Everything looks nice and neat but the story sucks. These people need to hire a storyteller.

I think an author is a person who can tell a story and then manage to bring it all together. They still may require editing help but they are the heartbeat of the story. They know the feeling it should have and continue to work to get it right.

The above is just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
lynnjett
One Star Member
One Star Member
lynnjett

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks everyone for their input. Abe, I agree, I believe we are pre-disposed to be a storyteller or a writer. But it is only through hard work and commitment that we become authors. I guess my follow on question is 1) Can you teach an old dog new tricks? 2)Is it possible with hard work to go from storyteller to author or from writer to author.

Shelagh I think your first page is great! You have an excellent command of the English language!

Lynn
Back to top Go down
George Maciver
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 376

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 2:12 pm

You missed one category Abe - the Jeffrey Archer category. Those who sun themselves on a beach sipping iced drinks while chattering into a dictophone and scribbling long hand and who then hand their rubbish to editors to turn into something publishable.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 3:29 pm

Hmm, I wonder if I could get away with being Jeffrey Archer. On the other hand, I kind of like the entire process and I don't like getting sweaty so I guess not.
Any yes Lynne you can teach an old dog new tricks (my sister is a dog trainer, so I have seen it happen) and you can move through the stages that you define -- it is a matter of perfecting your craft, and like Abe and George say, you can always hire some of the other stuff out!
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyFri Feb 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Lynn,
Based on your opening I guess I have to say I’m a storyteller, working real hard at becoming a writer. I actually correct people when someone says, “Don’s an Author.” I reply, “No I’m a wanna-be writer that was fortunate enough to be published."
Back to top Go down
Marta Stephens

Marta Stephens

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptySat Feb 16, 2008 5:18 pm

Granted that some people may not go beyond one or two of the stages mentioned, but I see the three categories more as stepping stones we need to follow on road to becoming published.

I too considered myself a writer until someone referred to me as an author. I'll admit, it felt funny at first as if I should have several books published before wearing the title.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martastephens-author.com
lynnjett
One Star Member
One Star Member
lynnjett

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 11:18 am

Don,

You do have a great way of telling a story, I have enjoyed your stories. But I think you have progressed well beyond that storyteller stage. Bearkiller was a very good book.

A friend once told me that I write like a hurried executive with great ideas, and a staff to flush them out. He wasn't being hurtful, he was being honest. He was right, I am used to having a technical editor and incredible secretary on my payroll.

Another friend said, "One of these days when you decide to slow down, you need to seriously persue writing. You have a knack for it, but wait until you have the time because your writing is too rushed, now."

There is an old saying, "Only a friend can tell you the truth." I consider these two people very good friends.

Perhaps someday I will take the time to seriously write. But I am having too much fun at my day job right now.... We just celebrated our 1000th safe explosive demolition shot.

Lynn
Back to top Go down
Jenny
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Jenny

Number of posts : 531

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 11:33 am

For some reason I always think of storytellers as people who verbally tell stories, where as writers/authors are concerned with getting their message/story across by using the written word.

I think of myself as a writer not a storyteller.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victoriahoward.co.uk
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 11:53 pm

This is a tough question. It seems that one is on top of the other in terms of esteem. I guess I had always thought that the terms were interchangeable, except that not all authors or writers tell stories.

Could it be that authors blend the writer with the storyteller?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 1:35 am

I google therefore I am. Couldn't resist the chance to do a bit of research. I found this:

Storyteller vs. Prosist

It's worth reading the comments as well as the blog post.
Back to top Go down
Brian L Porter
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Brian L Porter

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 2:05 am

Hello Lynn,

I couldn't help but respond to your thread. I agree with all that's been said on the subject, though in my case I began my career as a poet, which is some ways is kind of like story telling I suppose, as each poem is a mini story in itself. After succeeding in getting over 200 poems published I moved on to writing short stories, and I suppose that's when my story telling moved into the dimension of the writer. As more and more of my shorts were published, I found myself wanting to develop the themes and characters I was creating to another level, and thus I entered the world of the novel writer.

I applied all I'd learned from my previous writing media to my novels, and gradually learned to hone the stories I was creating into something that publishers and editors saw as a 'real' book, as oppposed to 'a story on paper'.

So far, I suppose I've been lucky in that each novel I've created has received far less editing from publishers than I was led to believe might be the case. I'd like to think that the reason for that is that I have become an 'author' as opposed to a story teller or a writer, though I still consider myself to be all of those things combined.

I subject everything I write to a rigorous self-edit, then proof-read it three times, then submit each chapter to my own critique panel of volunteer readers around the world, who consist of a great team of people of different backgrounds, ages, occupations and genders.

Only when at least five out of the seven give the work their 'seal of approval' do I think that I might have something that will interest a publisher.

Anyway, I suppose that's more of a life story than a reply, but hope someone finds it interesting.

Regards

Brian Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors 545232
www.freewebs.com/brianlp
www.freewebs.conm/astudyinred
www.glastonburythenovel.webs.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/brianlp
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 3:28 am

What a great idea to get such a diverse panel Brian. I used my family and friends and most of them just told me how much they loved this or that; I had to tell them it was OK and that I needed them to read with a critical eye.
I also proof read diligently to make it as clean as possible, but find that I am so close to it that I still miss things so need that final proof done with a proof reader. It's always easier to proofread someone else's work and so now I have a couple of friends who trade work back and forth to proof and that works really well. elephant
Back to top Go down
Brian L Porter
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Brian L Porter

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 4:29 am

Thanks Pam,

Yes, I find it great to have a diverse group of readers such as I'm lucky to have. One is a publisher and graphic designer from Malaysia, (male aged 28), one a retired soldier here in England, (male, aged 72), one another published author in the USA, (female, aged around fortyish, I'm a gentleman in that respect), one is a Livery Yard owner in Englnad (female, aged in her seventies), one is a Charity co-ordinator, (UK), aged 55, and my wife Juliet is my fiercest critic, and if I tell you how old she is she'll kill me! lol Another is a 20 year old female university student, studying animal care and behaviour, and last but not least, is a thirtyish lady who works for a mental health charity. all in all, a great cross-section of humanity, and one that gives me a good idea how my work will be received by the general reading public.

They all give me thier honest unbiased opinions without knowing what any of the others are saying, so I receive a genuinley objective set of responses from each person.

Best regards

Brian Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors 545232

www.freewebs.com/brianlp
www.freewebs.conm/astudyinred
www.glastonburythenovel.webs.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/brianlp
lynnjett
One Star Member
One Star Member
lynnjett

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 8:26 am

Pam,

I have the same problem with editing something I wrote, I am too close to it. My mind fixes the errors as I re-read something. It is only after I let it sit for a while that I can re-read it with a clear eye. I have also found reading something outloud to a willing listener, forces me to see the errors.

Brian,
What a wonderful idea, having a diverse group of friends to critque your work.

Shelagh,
The link you found Storyteller versus Protist is exactly the point I was trying to make. A storyteller writes as if they are talking to a friend recalling an interesting tale. They don't use colorful description or agonize over word choices, it is all about the story. A protist writes beautiful passages full of descriptive text weakly linked by a plotline.

Lynn
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 9:50 am

Shelagh wrote:
I google therefore I am. Couldn't resist the chance to do a bit of research. I found this:

Storyteller vs. Prosist

It's worth reading the comments as well as the blog post.

Another informative link, Shelagh. Thank you. I thoroughly enjoyed it all.

It seems there are varying opinions and no decisive definitions to keep them separate, but rather, they blend together in different degrees. That is probably why there are so many different writers and at varied degrees of popularity. It probably depends on what a reader likes and looks for.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 9:55 am

Barian, that is a very wise course of action. I have only two readers. One is an author who writes well, and the other is an avid reader. I get honest opinions from them both, and have made revisions according to their responses and suggestions.

In fact, my latest is being revised due to their comments after reading it. I will send it to them when I am done, and get second opinions from them.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 9:42 am

I think that it can be summed up in this way: All authors are storytellers, but not all storytellers are authors. Storytelling is the art of creating a story which will draw and keep the attention of those who read/hear it. Authorship, on the other hand is the art and skill of putting a story into the written word. There have been storytellers much longer than there have been writers, as prehistoric peoples told stories long before the invention of wirting.
Back to top Go down
Karina Kantas
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Karina Kantas

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 10:11 am

I'm a storyteller.

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.urbanhype101.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors   Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors Empty

Back to top Go down

Storytellers versus Writers versus Authors
Page 1 of 1