Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Good Book for Writers

Go down 
+2
Ann C. Crispin
Sue
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Good Book for Writers Empty
PostSubject: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 6:51 pm

I found a book at our local thrift store and purchased it for a quarter. It has helped me a lot. I have the 2nd edition from 2001. I believe there is a newer version. I used it quite a bit today.

"...is the handbook that attends to everyday language in everyday language...."

The Everyday Writer
by Andrea A. Lunsford from Stanford University

ISBN# 0-312-24349-9 (plastic comb)
0-312-24347-2 (spiral)

Bedford/St.Martin's
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Ann C. Crispin
Two Star Member
Two Star Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 2:54 pm

I have three favorites that I recommend to students.

THE FIRST FIVE PAGES by Noah Lukeman

SELF-EDITING FOR FICTION WRITERS by Renni Brown and Dave King

THE STREET SMART WRITER by Jenna Glatzer and Daniel
Steven (a publishing attorney)

-Ann C. Crispin
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 11:56 am

Congratulations, Marie, on your prize! It is always nice to be recognized in some way.

Thank you for the name of the poetry book. Although I am not into that 'right now' *grin* I am sure there are others here who can use that information.

Again, Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 1:09 pm

Congratulations Marie! We love to celebrate success here. Well done! Good Book for Writers 931984
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 3:41 pm

I would have voted for you, Marie.

Like Sue and Ann, I have several books on writing. They come in handy for propping up a table with one short leg, things like that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 11:17 am

I have a handful of books on writing ... they are all in storage now ... with all of my other property.

The only one I didn't store was "Formatting & Submitting your Manuscript" by Cynthia Laufenber. I have this book on the truck with me.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 10:48 pm

How to write a book – In three evolutional stages

1. Paper and pencil.

2. Manual Typewriter with ribbon and a good eraser.

3. Electric Typewriter with backspace correcting feature.

4. PC with word processing.

Subject: Hmmmmm.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 3:57 am

Abe F. March wrote:
How to write a book – In three evolutional stages

1. Paper and pencil.

2. Manual Typewriter with ribbon and a good eraser.

3. Electric Typewriter with backspace correcting feature.

4. PC with word processing.

Subject: Hmmmmm.

Abe???

What about stone and chisel?
Or parchment and quill? scratch

You jumped way ahead ... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 4:11 am

Isn't that just like a man.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 6:50 am

I hope so, Shelagh, I hope so. But Marie, I spent many years of my life using two fingers to type stories on manual typewriters. Lots of fun in its own way.
Back to top Go down
Ann C. Crispin
Two Star Member
Two Star Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 8:12 am

My first novel was written on an IBM Executive back in 1978. That used typewriter cost $400, a tremendous sum back then. I had to take out a loan to buy it.

My next two novels were written on computers at my job, staying overtime. Then, in 1983, I got my first PC, a Morrow. That was a great little computer.

I can't really write on a laptop keyboard, but that's an easy problem to overcome. I just hook up an ergonomic keyboard to the laptop, and away I go. (I fight carpal tunnel, so an ergonomic keyboard is a must for me.)

Back to the subject of books on writing...

Many writers dismiss them, but I find the three I cited extremely useful. I use them in my writing workshops, because they provide excellent examples of a number of things, such as "show, don't tell" -- a concept beginners often have trouble grasping.

Many writers claim you can't teach writing, and in a way, you can't. If a person has no aptitude for writing (this usually happens when they're not readers) an instructor can't do much to help.

But for students with some natural aptitude, who are indeed readers, I've found you can help them improve their work significantly. You can work on assorted techniques and help them avoid re-inventing the wheel. There's also a lot of information students need regarding writing a good query letter, searching for appropriate markets, avoiding writing scams, etc., that can be imparted effectively in a workshop.

I'm very proud of the fact that a class I taught back in 2000 at Dragoncon has gone on to have a really excellent success rate. Out of the 25 students in the original class, 14 have gone on to sell short fiction for professional rates. Two have sold novels to advance and royalty paying publishers.

There's something about the close-knit "in the trenches together" camaraderie of a writing workshop that fuels my own creative juices, so that's why I keep teaching them, even though it's often not really cost-effective for me to lose that writing time.

-Ann C. Crispin
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 1:32 pm

Workshops are the best place to talk to agents if someone is so inclined. I used to be the Consultant in Residence (whatever that means) at the Midwest Writers Workshop at Ball State University. It paid $300 for three days work and didn't interfere with writing a daily newspaper column so it wan't a bad deal. Some people actually wanted to consult with me, of course, but there's a downside to everything.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Now and then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Book for Writers   Good Book for Writers Empty

Back to top Go down

Good Book for Writers
Page 1 of 1