Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The future of reading ...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlie Moore
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Charlie Moore

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-08-06

The future of reading ... Empty
PostSubject: The future of reading ...   The future of reading ... EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 2:09 pm

With all the new ways to get published it seems like we're being inundated with new and fresh reading material, if you know where to look. I believe as consumers we're going to become more selective in our purchases just because of other demands on our paycheck for one thing, but also because of the increased selection. I know that sounds backward. It just that I think the increased choices will overwhelmed the average reader (of course, there are always exceptions) and cause them to sort of cocoon themselves to a comfort zone of sorts.

Being a person who loves to read I try to branch out as much as possible within the parameters of what interests me. But, because my choices are influenced strongly by my financial situation; which is basically, I usually buy one or two books, depending on the cost of my current interest, every one to two months.

What is the future of reading in your opinion? Will the average reader stay within their comfort zone? Or am I off base here?

Charlie
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: The future of reading ...   The future of reading ... EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:10 pm

The librarians of our town came to Kiwanis today and said that they didn't think books would be replaced by other media and there were many choices today, but what they found most popular were mysteries.

They have a lot of programs for kids. They said the libraries in this area were becoming overcrowded with books, in spite of a lot of technology.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The future of reading ...   The future of reading ... EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 11:33 pm

Charlie,
I agree with your views. Being inundated with choices can often mean no choice. Recommendations from others who share similar interests in books may cause a sale. And, as pointed out previously, impulse buying creates sales. Price is becoming a big factor.

Carol,
I believe that many people are returning to the library as a reading source. I was asked recently if my book was in the library. That doesn't help sales directly but may help with book promotion and author recognition.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: The future of reading ...   The future of reading ... EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 2:09 am

My book is in the libraries in town and has been checked out. The Kiwanis group purchased six of them when they were first published and put them in the two town libraries as well as the middle school and high school libraries. Five other libraries have the book, including one in California.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The future of reading ...   The future of reading ... EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 10:51 am

I suspect we ultimately will see more paperless books for a variety of reasons. But, it will still be reading. Personally, I'm not read to give up real books and buy a Kindle, but that day may be here 10 years down the road for most people.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The future of reading ...   The future of reading ... EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 11:00 am

A local newscast had a bit about how the libraries are benefitting from the economic situation. People are getting library cards in record numbers, and those who had them already are making more use of them.

At least people are still reading. That has to be good for us as authors in the long run.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The future of reading ...   The future of reading ... Empty

Back to top Go down

The future of reading ...
Page 1 of 1