Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Planning for the future

Go down 
+2
alice
Abe F. March
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Planning for the future Empty
PostSubject: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 1:47 am

I planted a nut tree.  I’m told it will take 20 years for it to produce fruit.  My plan is to sit under that tree in my mid-90’s, eat nuts, drink some wine and read a good book.  If anyone knows where I can acquire a squirrel hat, please let me know.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 6:32 am

For my 75th birthday, I thought it would be a great thing to experience Skydiving. I presented the idea to my wife and she responded with an emphatic No.  I thought if I present it to her early enough, she may get used to the idea.  Of course I don't know anything about Skydiving and thought perhaps I would contact Don Stephens who has a history of Skydiving.  I hesitate to do that until I'm certain I have the support to do it.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 7:29 am

Our friend skydived on his 80th birthday.  We all went out and watched him.  It went well--wait until you are eighty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 7:50 am

So, we have a tree, a wife, some wine, a good book, skydiving, and Don Stephens. What's missing? Oh, I know. A nut.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 7:57 am

Shelagh, you took my thought and put it in action - I knew Abe was being serious in the first post but it was so open to puns ... and now more so.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 10:18 am

Shelagh wrote:
So, we have a tree, a wife, some wine, a good book, skydiving, and Don Stephens. What's missing? Oh, I know. A nut.
Shelagh,  I thought he covered the "Nut" part when he mentioned my name!

Abe, you can go tandem freefall, no lessons just get strapped to the chest of a qualified jumper and enjoy the ride.
Planning for the future Tandum_zps016e33e3

I had planned on doing another freefall for my seventy fifth, but the back surgery took that idea away.  So instead I just thanked  God that I reached seventy-five!  For the life I've lived, I think I probably doubled my life expectancy!
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 11:09 am

D. J. (Don) Stephens wrote:
Shelagh wrote:
Shelagh,  I thought he covered the "Nut" part when he mentioned my name!
I didn't like to say. Planning for the future 467431 
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 11:17 am

Great to have nutty friends. 
Don, getting strapped to the chest of the one in the picture may help. Very Happy Is that how you made it to 75?
Just got back from eating dinner out.  I proposed to my wife that if she is opposed to 75, perhaps I would wait until 80, as Alice suggested.  My wife didn't seem to mind that.  Either she doesn't think I'll make 80 or that she'll have time to change my mind.
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 11:58 am

Abe,

I made it to 75 because of a lot of luck and some damn fine surgeons that kept plugging up the holes and putting me back together. 

I never tried doing a tandem jump, mine were all solo.

My number fourteen hundred was on my seventieth birthday.  A sixty second freefall from 12,500 feet.

Planning for the future Firstout
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 12:01 pm

Don, you know I'm a fan of your books and more so of your life experiences. 
Should I get serious about Sky Diving, I would like to do it with you, if that is possible.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 12:13 pm

There's a saying among us old pilots that Don will have heard a hundred times. Maybe a thousand.

"Anyone who would jump out of a perfectly good airplane is a nut."
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Al,

When you're right you're right!

I get some really funny looks when I tell people, I have an unequal number of airplane take offs and landings.

Abe,

Would love to jump with you, but as I said earlier, Doctors say after the spinal surgery, between opening shock and the possibility of landing wrong too many things are against me doing it safely.

Also, in the picture, the woman in the foreground is the one along for the ride.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 3:20 pm

You know, I found my three years blue water sailing with enough death defying experiences to last me the rest of my life.  I don't need any more.  But more power to those who dare.  I don't even ski anymore.  I am becoming very risk averse.  I did look at the ice skating rink the other day with fond memories...I put the skates away when I had a light concussion years ago and couldn't remember the time from skating to waking up in the hospital.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planning for the future   Planning for the future Empty

Back to top Go down

Planning for the future
Page 1 of 1