Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

What is Success?

Go down 
+9
alice
alj
Rhymer
Abe F. March
RunsWithScissors
Carol Troestler
Malcolm
RetiredName
dtpollard
13 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 10:37 am

I wrestle with this concept when it comes to my books. I think that I have been, like others, enamored with the idea of retail sales success of my paper book sales. One of my books is doing well in audio with libraries and I think I will earn out my advance, but it has a different feel that the old amazon rating number change when a book sells.

I make much more per sale on audio because the cd set costs so much more. I don’t know my unit sales yet because my statement is not out yet. I don’t know how to feel about audio downloads from net library, seeing my book available that way has a feel that is different than knowing it was bought.

Is this a symptom of the blockbuster syndrome of movies, J K Rowling, Oprah etc? Could this be a part of the last few years of over-the-top or not-at-all attitude spilling into all area of society.

Maybe I’m just along in feeling somewhat at a loss in not having a firm grip on what is success in this business at some level. It could be the issue of being an author is somewhat of an isolated venture vs the team environment of my regular job.

www.Pollardpost.com
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 11:10 am

My definition of sucess? Earning out my advance. Of course getting an advance big enough to go on a European vacation on is still a work in progress.

My biggest advance was $1,000. Got a laptop with that.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 6:33 pm

Right now, finding a publisher.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 7:23 pm

I have made enough money in writing over the last 15 years to buy several computers and printers as well as a few other things. The money came from royalties on my books for schools, writing for hire, royalties for my manual for people with life threatening illness, as well as my books with PA.

Do I feel successful? Sometimes. Mostly when I read that a story that floats around the web made a difference in someone's life, or my mother says she's proud of me, or my grandchildren ask what I'm writing. I used to say success would be flying on an airplane and the person next to me was reading my book, and they weren't a relative.

But I've never gotten an advance. I've had more rejections than successes. I have many manuscripts in my closet, and sometimes I feel like I need to forget the whole endeavor, that it is part of the past as are so many things in my life.

But sometimes there are stories in my head, or words about what is going on in the world, or just messages I put on this messageboard. Sometimes I even make sense.
Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 10:09 pm

deleted by merri

Last edited by merrihiatt on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 10:40 pm

Success comes in many forms.
A definition: "Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal."

In my view, if one is accomplishing what he/she wants to accomplish, they are successful. It is a personal thing. One should not use the success of others as a guideline. We all have our own ambitions and goals. Those are the things we need to focus on.

To some, a certain amount of money, i.e., becoming a millionaire, is considered successful. To others it might be a hundred million dollars. To others it may be finding the right mate or getting a college degree. Finding the job of choice, losing weight. Writing a book and getting it published. If you did it, you achieved your goal and were successful. If the next step is writing that second book and getting it accepted by a specific publisher, that is a worthy goal.

Last edited by Abe F. March on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 10:57 pm

Abe,

A very good definition: "Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal."

I like that. My life right now is filled with idealistic thoughts, idealistic goals.

Progressive realization is a good phrase. It isn't black or white, get published or not, make money or not. It means success isn't an end but a dynamic process that continues. And I don't think it is about accomplishing one thing and then wanting more, but being on a journey.

Thanks Abe.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Rhymer
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Rhymer

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-12-24

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 5:51 am

Speaking of success regarding writing only I measure it for myself in small steps. Writing an actual book was the first success. Seeing in in print was the next and so on. My next step is to travel down the more traditional and harder avenue of finding a traditional publisher.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/abcedit
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 am

DT,

I've been intrigued by your question since you first opened this thread, but haven't thought of a way to express an answer until now.

Success is creating something of value.

I subscribe to an inspirational video message that arrives in my email box six days a week. The sponsor allows subscribers to post links occasionally, and this seems a good time. As I watched and listened today, I realized that it expressed what my thoughts were about your question.

http://greatday.com/cgi-bin/jsenter.pl?2177p07HGucc

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 10:55 am

It all depends on where you are coming from and what your goal is.

In my case, I am alive and breathing--could be underground.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 12:22 pm

True success should not be measured solely on a monatary or material basis. True success is being able to achieve your goals and be happy in the process.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 12:26 pm

Ann,

I always enjoy those messages, and I like that success is creating something of value.

Alice,

Right now success for me is being able to walk backwards and standing on one foot for short periods of time. I just came from the doctor and "showed off" my accomplishments. He had me walk down the clinic hall frontwards and then backwards since I kept bragging about it.

I'm glad you got back home safe. Yesterday did not look like a good day to fly to the Northwest.

Love, Carol
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 pm

Now that's success Carol.
Brag away.
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 12:36 am

Carol,

I'm a cancer survivor (three years in remission now - woot! woot!) and can relate to health issues. I received chemotherapy and radiation treatment and sustained scarring and damage to the pleural lining of my right lung. For a while there, I couldn't walk from my bed to the bathroom without getting out of breath.

The story is much, much longer. Suffice it to say. I give thanks for practically anything and everything I am able to do while also being able to breathe.

You are truly achieving great success, Carol! Way to go!
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 1:57 am

Thanks Merri and Abe.

Merri, this is my second bout with cancer, the first being 20 years ago. This time I am not on chemo but had radiation and am on a hormone blocking drug with few side effects. My cancer had spread to my spine and sacrum which cut off the nerves to my legs, caused my difficulties with walking as well as blood clots. I thought my life was severely limited and it is so exciting to have improved as much as I have. Little successes really count a lot.

Carol
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 4:18 am

Carol, it sounds like you are having major success in returning to being functional. Congratulations on your achievement.

I think we all have successes in our lives if we choose to see them. Our children and their accomplishments are our successes also. A dinner party that goes smoothly is a success, as is getting published.

Personal success is what I strive for. Sure, money would be nice, but it is only money after all. Things can make one feel successful, but they are only things and can be replaced. In my opinion, my biggest successes are the friends I have made.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 5:35 am

zadaconnaway wrote:

In my opinion, my biggest successes are the friends I have made.
Mine are the best!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Tory Lynn
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Tory Lynn

Number of posts : 149

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 6:24 am

I find success in all the little things I get to accomplish. The success of my family through trials, my friends and seeing the friendships grow, my job and everything that needs to get done daily, which include watching and assisting the guys we care for achieve their dreams.

Getting published for me was a success. I would like to have many more books and stories published as well.

Vickie
Back to top Go down
http://www.torylynn.webs.com/torylynn
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 6:41 am

Vickie said "the success of my family through trials" and think that is a quite prevalent truth for most "successful" families.

I had a few children with some serious failures and I felt a failure as their mother. But they have all gone through some serious trials and I am proud of how they have handled them, and how they live their lives. I look on them as their own successes and not necessarily mine. But I know I took good care of them.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Tory Lynn
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Tory Lynn

Number of posts : 149

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 6:56 am

I think that is the hardest part of being a mom & dad, or someone who really cares for family. It is difficult to let go and watch our loved ones make decisions that may not be the best for them. We know they won't listen because they haven't up to that point. Then when they pull themselves out of what ever mess they dug, is a success. As long as they learned from it.

Vickie
Back to top Go down
http://www.torylynn.webs.com/torylynn
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 7:16 am

It is so true that our children's successes are their own and not really ours, but like Carol and Vickie, I've felt pride along with them at times, knowing I always tried to to what seemed best for them at the moment.

My children all became teachers. The girls are no longer in the classroom; one is a counselor, the other an administrator. My son and his wife are both university professors, and a few months ago, were told they are now tenured. So they all have outdone me in our field of work. I hope it is OK if I share just a little in their success.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 8:46 am

No problem, Ann. My two daughters work for the University of Wisconsin, one as a technical writer with part of the genome project and one in computers for the state two year colleges. My oldest son is in construction, next is an airline pilot like his dad, next is a machinist who played percussion and sang professionally with Caesar's in the Pokonos for two years, and my youngest is the musical director for a church.

Deciding when to rescue and when to let them fail has been the biggest problem, but I am proud of them for the way they have handled difficulties in their lives and the way they have raised their children.

I think being a grandma is much more fun than being a mom, and I know I've been successful at that role! My 20-year-old grandson is coming over to spend the day tomorrow and to try to beat us at Scrabble. I knew he'd return as his mom told me he commented on how we had "overpowered him at Scrabble" the last time he was here. He has probably been practicing. (He is on break from the university and bored, but we'll welcome him for any reason.)

Carol What is Success? 842802
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What is Success? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is Success?   What is Success? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is Success?
Page 1 of 1