Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Anthology Copyrights

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Anthology Copyrights Empty
PostSubject: Anthology Copyrights   Anthology Copyrights EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Shelagh,

Please don't take me wrong as I am very new to all of this. So my question is no reflection on you, your work, or the anthology. It is just that I don't understand all that needs to be addressed or not addressed in an anthology.

I was going through the anthology threads to see if there was anything about copyright. This is what I found:

Quote :
Shelagh said: "You can submit your work to other
magazines/agents/publishers before and after the book is published. I
won't be asking for exclusive rights. You are free to publish your work
elsewhere."

Is there something in the book or in writing (other than above) that says this? I don't mean to go all legal here but I am uncomfortable not knowing the answer to that.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Copyrights   Anthology Copyrights EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 9:51 pm

I’m not one hundred percent sure, Sue, but I’ve been thinking about it. When my short stories were published, I had to sign contracts granting exclusive rights to the publishers for a certain period, say three months to three years, except for one with a national magazine. They’ll forever own it, but that’s okay as I was well-paid. With the others, after the specified time in the contract passes, the rights revert back to me.

If you didn’t sign a contract, you should be free to publish your work elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Copyrights   Anthology Copyrights EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:45 am

Thanks for answering Sue's question Brenda! You are right about the rights. I didn't ask for any. The rights of the contributors are protected (all rights reserved) and only the authors themselves can publish their work elsewhere.

So, the answer to your question Sue is that Mandinam Press holds non-exclusive rights to publish the work of the contributors.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Copyrights   Anthology Copyrights EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:55 am

Okay, Thank you for your replies. I just didn't want to publish it somewhere else later on down the line and get into trouble. Scaredy cat here! *grin*
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Copyrights   Anthology Copyrights EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:53 pm

Sue, better to be a scaredy cat now than a skinned one later on!! There may be others whoare curious, too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Copyrights   Anthology Copyrights EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi, Zada,

I have found that both on and off the computer I seem to be the "big mouth". I am always the one who asks the questions others want to ask but don't. Or I am the one who attempts something others want to but don't. It has made my life very interesting indeed. And it hasn't hurt me. Just made me stronger ... and wiser. Wink
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Copyrights   Anthology Copyrights EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 7:52 pm

Sue, I am glad to hear it. In the work force, I was always the 'big mouth'! Always shaking the vine, rattling the tree. Even a union organizer at one time!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Copyrights   Anthology Copyrights EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 6:16 am

Me too, and look where it's got me. On second thought, don't look.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anthology Copyrights   Anthology Copyrights Empty

Back to top Go down

Anthology Copyrights
Page 1 of 1