Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The book-signing that wasn't

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-09-21

The book-signing that wasn't Empty
PostSubject: The book-signing that wasn't   The book-signing that wasn't EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 11:00 am

Just wanted to share this odd little adventure. I had published my first novel, The First Impression, a mystery published by Amazon and set in my hometown of Lynchburg, Virginia. I queried the owner of a local bookstore about stocking my book; he checked while we were on the phone and said he could get it from his distributor. And he sounded enthusiastic about the book having a strong local angle and a hometown author. Well and good ... or so I thought.

Several weeks passed, during which time I moved from Washington, DC to Lynchburg. Once settled in, I stopped by the bookstore and the owner suggested we have a book-signing. Well and good again ... or so I thought.

I designed a nice poster (I also do commercial work in Photoshop -- I designed the book cover as well), and the store owner had several printed to let his customers know about the signing.

Come the appointed day I arrived at the store, pen in hand and ready to roll. The owner was out, but his employees had set up a table in front, and one told me I could put my books there. "Where are the books?" I asked. "You brought your own, right?" She said.

After lobbing that one back and forth a couple of times, it became very clear that they expected me to bring the books to sign, while I assumed that this being a bookstore -- that's BOOK store -- they would be selling the books that I signed.

So it turned into a book-signing with no books, almost. They had a couple of copies that I had sent them earlier, when I was asking if they'd like to stock it. A few people came in bringing their own copies for me to sign.

No bloodshed, but not much gain either. I pass this wacky little tale along to anyone contemplating a book-signing. As obvious as it might seem, make sure you have a clear and mutual understanding about who will furnish the books.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkthomasson.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The book-signing that wasn't   The book-signing that wasn't EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Good point David.  I had a similar experience in the early days of my book being published.  My publisher didn't use a distributor at that time.  I was expected to bring my own books.  I ordered them and they didn't arrive when promised.  It was a disaster.  My interest in book signing turned sour.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The book-signing that wasn't   The book-signing that wasn't EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 8:41 pm

I’ve never hear of writers having to bring their own books to a book store. What are they thinking?

I think I’d tell the customers, “Oh just pick any book in the store, I’ll be glad to sign it for you…lol”

What did you do Abe?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The book-signing that wasn't   The book-signing that wasn't EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 10:33 pm

While in the bookstore, I called and with approval of the Bookstore, ordered 40 books to be delivered to the bookstore.  I then got stickers from the Manager and signed them to be placed on the books that read: "Book signed by author".
Back to top Go down
slb
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
slb

Number of posts : 926
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: The book-signing that wasn't   The book-signing that wasn't EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 10:10 am

At least you were able to secure a book signing at a bookstore. I've been to only one and nobody bought one. I've had a devil of a time getting bookstores to have a signing for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stephenbrayton.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The book-signing that wasn't   The book-signing that wasn't EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 10:44 am

Book stores are no longer the "signing" place of choice.  Go to coffee shops and places related to the subject matter of the books.  You'll get a much better reception.  Seed the audience with friends and relatives so you don't feel so alone.

I did a major presentation once for six people.  Three bought books ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The book-signing that wasn't   The book-signing that wasn't Empty

Back to top Go down

The book-signing that wasn't
Page 1 of 1