Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR

Go down 
+3
Betty Fasig
dkchristi
joefrank
7 posters
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR Empty
PostSubject: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 8:32 am

8/26/2013

The young and middle age people working in Fast Food Restaurants
           will go on strike across the USA on August 29th, 2013. These are young and
           mid to late and early 30's people working in these restaurants, I do agree they
           are under paid, I do know in retail people who are making same wages and
           many big box retailers will lower their hours say from 24 to 20 to 18  to make
           money for the store and many of these stores make billions of dollars, my
           opnion I say " STRIKE !"  What is your opnion ? Here's the article interesting.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/8/19/food-strikes-settosweepthecountry.html

Cheers.......Joe.....Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 12:41 pm

When I was 16-20, fast food was the only place for teenagers to get jobs, and they were "first jobs" that taught job skills and paid minimum wage.

With the economic disaster, people desperate to support their families took whatever job they could, and I see more adults at fast-food and drive-throughs than teens. 

I'm not sure of the answer.  I know when I was a secretary we used to say all clerical workers should strike because of the sexual harassment, overwork, and intellectual requirement at minimum wages. 

The same was said about nurses.  Then came a shortage and their pay went up -along with higher pay, men entered nursing and pushed the pay higher.  My son's friend who was a traveling nurse made a very high salary on top of paid for housing and travel to destination expenses.

My belief is that one day fast food will have fewer actual people.  The food will just go down a slide to the window like a vending machine.  I'm surprised it has not happened already.  Striking might push up that inevitable day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 5:28 pm

Diane, I think you are right. 
The sad part is that actual people have to be willing to deal with that ...and they will.  They will because the distance widens every day....until people do not have to have contact with people at all.  Eventually we will all be just little mechanical people, as well...no one will remember emotions at all, there will be no remembering the idea of love, or family, and animals will not exist because every thing will be synthetic.  Stuffed, mechanical dogs and cats will be our 'children" and no one will have a single respinsibility other than poking the buttons that regulate their day. 
I think I could go and live in the wilderness and eat wilder vegetables and bugs...
I imagine this earth in such a shape in 2 or three hundred years.  It is too bad that some of the people who cause this to happen could not be there to witness the results of their greed.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 6:51 pm

It seems to me that more and more people are waking up to reality every day.  I don't think the present system will last much longer, especially if we refuse to give the old system power by focusing on the problem rather than imagining a solution.  A defeatist attitude only adds to the power of greed

The people are singing.  Think of the power of the song, "We shall overcome."

Tomorrow comes.

Join in the fight for the right to be free.

Annie

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 7:21 pm

8/27/2013

It amazes me ! I've worked in retail for 35 yrs, some of the big names
                in NYC like Macy*s , Lord & Taylor and The Metropolitan Museum Of Art. I
                do know in the last few years retail has become a horror, especially big box
                stores like Walmart, Kohls, Home Depot, Target, K Mart, Sears, if these
                stores were not shopped at or had mass demonstrations maybe just maybe
                they would realize their employees are more important than the almighty
                dollar, I know because before I retired three years ago I worked at Kohls as a
                manager for a dept., employees were looked at as a cash cow, if they didn't
                bring in new charge customers they were told or else ! Part timers always had
                their hours slashed every week, they went from 24 to 18 to 16 hrs. the Mgr.
                would tell them the store needs to make money ! If the employee didn't like it
                 they were told what they could do quit !! They didn't want to fire anyone because
                 they would have to fight the un-employment and they would tell the employee for
                 every lawyer you have we have four, so sue !!! It's time the situation changes..

Cheers......Joe...JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR 925501
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 11:29 pm

I don't buy fast food.  I want slow food.  I want to be served with fresh food, and those doing the serving are paid. 
Service is a big industry for those willing to work.  We have taken service away from service (gas) stations.  They are trying to eliminate the job of checkers at food stores by self-check out.  Do it yourself has cost many jobs.  I don't object to doing things for myself when it is an option.
How will people make a living when automation eliminates their jobs?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 7:21 am

Go to Bora Bora.  The food is delicious and slow.
Incredible!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 7:48 am

I guess that's why I see a fast-food strike as too late and even a push toward more mechanization.

My friend owns a large wholesale business that their son took over.  With his ownership came a massive dismissal of employees who had been with the business, faithfully, their entire lives. He mechanized everything. After all, he wanted fancy cars and travel and luxury dwellings.  He needed more profit than his parents to accomplish that.  His parents saw the business as creating jobs and helping families and earning a comfortable living to raise children and pass on the business.  Every time they had a great year, they helped someone else open a retail store and reach for their own success.

Labor is the cost of anything.  Have a home repair and compare the parts to the cost of labor.  Thus businesses cut labor costs at every opportunity to increase profits.  Labor is not only a cost, but labor intensive in itself.  An entire human relations department has to hire, coddle, pay and fire among a host of rules, regulations and requirements.  Machines are less complicated it seems.  No workmen's comp, no benefits, no vacations, no sick leave, and no personal issues.

Worse - most of the machines to replace U.S. labor are not made here either.  We can bemoan, wail and cry - but it is the way of things.  We are not returning to that dream scape of service no matter how we wish.  The new generations don't even have a clue what it was like except for the movies that look so out of date to even me - dated in the 70's - when people still pumped gas for goodness sake.

I remember about 15 years ago driving to New Jersey where they still pumped gas.  It was like I had found Nirvana.  Every time a real person answers a phone I am in shock with a mouth full of message to leave and fingers ready to push buttons.  

I am so personally addicted to my phone and computer that I am taking a short cruise to free myself from both as the power is 220; they don't furnish converters and I'm not buying one. It's an experiment.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 7:56 am

Businesses started cutting labor to part time and no benefits long before Obamacare.  It's pretty disgusting to blame Obamacare for the continued labor cuts that businesses were doing anyway.  Instead of admitting it as a generally cost-cutting measure, they have something to hang their greedy hat on, "Obamacare."  

Since it is a global economy (people began traveling to another state for jobs at one time) it may be that the future hold traveling to other countries for work and living in different places.  Skills are needed the world over.

After all, this country is importing computer people because we don't have enough skilled of our own (of course, that's another big lie so the companies can hire people who will take bottom line pay just to get their feet in the door here).
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 8:15 am

Following the crowd seems to be the fad.  I’m beginning to dislike technology.  Yes it is useful, but by the time one gets used to a system/method, it changes.  People want the latest, the fastest and that means sales for the producers.    
We are supposed to be individuals and think for ourselves.  We can choose to buy local, buy American Made, utilize service-oriented business, or conform. 
I’m at the stage where I refuse to conform.  I know what I like and want.  I will not buy clothes to keep up with some fashion designers fancy.  If what I have works, I will continue to use it.  I will continue to wear clothes that I like.  I will eat what and where I want.  I am me and will not try to be someone else or be pressured into being the dream of someone else.
I like old things and many of the old ways. 
I gotta be me.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 9:50 am

Fast food, Walmart, paper routes, pizza delivery, most service/retail jobs were historically the domain of teens and SAHMs looking for pin money. For whatever reason, they've all been gradually taken over by people who expect a living wage from them. I don't know that that's reasonable. The larger employers will eventually morph into making them living wages, or just keep importing illegals. Or the jobs will just go away.

I'm not joining any boycott.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 3:51 pm

When I was 16-20, fast food was the only place for teenagers to get jobs, and they were "first jobs" that taught job skills and paid minimum wage.

With the economic disaster, people desperate to support their families took whatever job they could, and I see more adults at fast-food and drive-throughs than teens.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR   JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR Empty

Back to top Go down

JOIN FAST FOOD WORKERS STRIKE 8/29 BOYCOTT FAST FOOD RESTAUR
Page 1 of 1