Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Blonde reasoning

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 4:10 am

A guy took his blonde girlfriend to her first football game. They had great seats right behind their team's bench. After the game, he asked her how she liked it.

"Oh, I really liked it," she replied, "especially the tight pants and all the big muscles, but I just couldn’t understand why they were killing each other over 25 cents."

Dumbfounded, her boyfriend asked, "What do you mean?"

"Well, they flipped a coin, one team got it and then for the rest of the game, all they kept screaming was: 'Get the quarterback! Get the quarterback!' I'm like...Helloooooo? It's only 25 cents!!!!"
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 5:10 am

Good one, Shelagh.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 5:45 am

Very funny.  Two people from Mars (politically correct) were given two dogs.  One they named Rolex the other Timex.  Why?  They were told they were watch dogs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 6:38 am

DK.  Were they Martian blonds?Laughing
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 10:21 am

I was born blonde.  I remained a natural blonde until my early 20's.    When my hair started turning brown, my husband told me he had married a blonde.  He was insistent that I augment its changing color.  I asked him if he married me for my looks.  He replied, "What other reason could there be?"

Still don't know why I didn't just kill him right then.  Probably could have gotten off with justifiable homicide.  Instead, I started having my hair color treated so that he might be able to satisfy his fantasies.  In the end, he left me for a brunette.

Even before I married, I was learning by my own experiences that it was next to impossible for me to get my brain taken seriously.  Girls, in that world, were either pretty or smart.  Pretty girls got the guys.   If a smart girl wanted a guy, she did better to keep her brains a secret, and, if unlucky enough to have brown hair, she'd best dye it.  I don't know where the idea came from that blonde hair was associated with a woman's attractiveness.  Maybe it goes back to the reason my mother never thought of herself as attractive or pretty because she had olive skin and dark brown hair.  Her grandmother called her "the Indian baby."  It was not a compliment.  The "ugly rumor" that my 4th great-grandmother was Cherokee was generally kept quiet.  Mom's first cousin had fair skin, blue eyes, and blonde ringlets.  That same grandmother doted on her blonde granddaughter as she rejected my mother.  Then, after my mom married my father, God did the unforgivable:  He gave her a fair-skinned blonde daughter.  She never came to terms with that.

I don't get blonde jokes.   I cannot stop seeing them as cruel and demeaning. That's just my perspective, though.  

Sorry, Shelagh.  I get that you meant nothing by the joke.  The premise itself is not only funny, it makes sense.  There is no reason or rationale for the terms used in sports.  The girlfriend's comments were not dumb.  They made as much sense as the game's arbitrary terminology.  If the guy's friend had been a red-headed male, it would have been even funnier, it seems to me, but I realize that I am the odd[wo]man out.  Totally my bad.

I just wish that we lived in a society where demeaning jokes about women, especially blonde women, were considered politically incorrect.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 11:44 am

Ah, Ann,I have defended your point before, therefore my Martian joke.  My good friend is a natural blond who has had career issues because of her beauty. 

I was born blond and actually won baby beauty contests until the age of three when it turned brown and that was the end of winning - interesting, eh?

The rest of my life I had a womanly figure that worked to my advantage at a young age and against me now (matronly).  My hair was auburn and it wasn't until the age of 38 that I started enhancing the red part.  I still do.  Red is a cut above auburn in the scheme of things, next to blonds when you have blue eyes.

My friend and I were just talking on the phone about the difficulty of a woman of talent getting a job after 65.  Even women hire pretty women.  It's a comspiracy but reality.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 2:16 pm

That's okay, Ann. I like blonde jokes. So do blondes. Have you never noticed how blondes behind a wheel always expect all drivers (men and women) to give them the right of way? They overtake and force drivers to slow down and wait until the lane is free. They move forward into the traffic instead of waiting their turn. They save time on the roads by butting in and speeding off. In return, they smile in a way that doesn't so much say "thank you" more "haven't I brightened your day?". Well, no, you haven't. You've pissed me off. The only consolation? I can call you a dumb blonde and you will smile in exactly the same way because being blonde is everything and being dumb just goes with the territory.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 4:59 pm

No, Shelagh. I've never noticed that.  Different perspectives; different perceptions. I have noticed that since I cut my hair short and stopped lightening it, I seem to get more respect, especially from strangers.  People tend to listen more to what I have to say.  It might have more to do with living in the southern US.

It's just one of those things that sets me off.  Sorry about the rant.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 9:30 pm

We've heard comments from a woman's perspective about blonds, but haven't heard much from the guys.
Personally, I find blonds to be "happy-go-lucky".  They are not so uptight.  If non-blonds dislike blonds, why then do so many dye their hair blond?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 1:48 am

alj wrote:
No, Shelagh. I've never noticed that.  Different perspectives; different perceptions. I have noticed that since I cut my hair short and stopped lightening it, I seem to get more respect, especially from strangers.  People tend to listen more to what I have to say.  It might have more to do with living in the southern US.

It's just one of those things that sets me off.  Sorry about the rant.
I would be interested to know your take on this, Ann:

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/health/my-brunette-blunder--the-blonde-loses-her-bottle-6711289.html
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 5:38 am

That bit about the eye being drawn to the color yellow makes sense.  We have always had those polar reactions to light and dark, so I guess that's part of the whole thing, too.

I have written here before about my own favorite bedtime story being Snow White and Rose Red and the personalities of the two sisters, and commented on the ending of the story where Snow White gets the prince and Rose Red has to settle for his younger brother in what appears to be an arranged marriage - apparently because Rose liked running in the meadow gathering wildflowers better than sitting next to her mother and sewing.

With me over the years, it wasn't so much that I perceived myself differently after changing my hair color as it was about expressing a different side to my personality BY changing my hair color.  My reasons and results were kind of opposite to the author's, though.  I was always more self-conscious as a blonde, especially after I had to use artificial color to get it there.  I feel more myself with darker hair (although lately, the grey keeps coming in faster every year, so that's a whole 'nother thing.  Laughing )  I noticed that when the author's hair color was artificial, she felt more need to wear make-up as well.  That was interesting, too.

And I keep writing stories about a woman named Magdeline or Maggie who is having trouble deciding between two men who seem to represent opposing approaches to life.  Rolling Eyes 

I guess the main point is that, for better or worse, we all tend to form our first impressions of others based on externals.  That's one of the reasons I like forums, especially the use of avatars.  Our communication is more about what we write than how we look.

And, speaking of appearance and first impressions, after I noticed that the Diving Machine cover on my new Kindle Fire had the new cover, I checked back to my old iphone version and the original cover is still there - equally effective, but clearly more of a young person's appeal where the new cover appeals to adults - especially those interested in sci-fi.  Our eyes are clearly a major factor in decision-making.

Thanks for posting the article.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 6:26 am

The blonde wanted to be taken seriously, but more importantly, she wanted to be noticed. I don't have that problem. But then again, I'm a brunette. So is the Duchess of Cambridge. William knows best.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 6:33 am

Blonde reasoning 704672 
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Blonde reasoning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blonde reasoning   Blonde reasoning EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 6:58 am

For Anne Gregory
'NEVER shall a young man,
Thrown into despair
By those great honey-coloured
Ramparts at your ear,
Love you for yourself alone
And not your yellow hair.'
'But I can get a hair-dye
And set such colour there,
Brown, or black, or carrot,
That young men in despair
May love me for myself alone