Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Fraud Alert

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Fraud Alert Empty
PostSubject: Fraud Alert   Fraud Alert EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 10:37 am

ALERT

Should you receive an email from your bank requesting that you verify your account information, don’t provide it.  Instead, contact the back directly and ask if they sent the email.
Today I received such an email from my bank with an attachment.  It said that someone compromised my information and that I would not be able to log in to my account until I verify the information requested in the attachment. 
Red Flags immediately went up.  I replied to the email requesting confirmation that my bank actually sent the email.  The email bounced back DEAMON.
I logged into my account with no problem and sent a message to my bank from my online account giving them the email message.  They responded saying that they did not send the email and that I should not open any attachments and advised me to do a virus scan.  They requested that I send the email to another bank email address that they provided. I did and they responded thanking me for the information and that they would investigate and kill the source
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Fraud Alert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fraud Alert   Fraud Alert EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 10:42 am

Thank you Abe,

I get those and never open them. 
It is an effort to steal your identity.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Fraud Alert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fraud Alert   Fraud Alert EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 3:45 pm

So they've started that one again.  A few years ago, I got something similar.  I passed it by to think on it and very soon after received a legitimate alert from my bank saying the fake one was out there and delete it.

The one I want to open is from the Bank of Nigeria and I have won approximately $10 million. 

A bad one is the one that goes to your contact list and the email arrives from a real friend, stranded in a foreign country just needing a few thousand wired as their passport and ID was stolen and I think someone is also sick.  It sounds so real, and the "friend" on mine was traveling...
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

Fraud Alert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fraud Alert   Fraud Alert EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 pm

That is one of the drawbacks of having our emails accessible online through social media sites, blogs and our personal web pages. No financial institution or government agency will EVER request personal information by email. Now will our friends send us an email message that they are stranded in some Godforsaken place and need cash as a quick loan. And no African prince or their relations will legitimately need a few thousand dollars in exchange for a quick loan to help them out of some tragedy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Fraud Alert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fraud Alert   Fraud Alert EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 2:46 pm

They must work on some people, though or they would not continue spamming them.  I know my mom (age 94) talks to whoever phones and spent a couple years winning "sweepstakes."  I figured it was harmless entertainment but these days she says she spent quite a bit during those years as there was always a "fee" to collect the prize.

I still get calls like that but my stock answer to any phone call is, "Anything you wish to communicate to me do so in writing.  If you don't have my address then I am not a legitimate customer of yours."
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

Fraud Alert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fraud Alert   Fraud Alert Empty

Back to top Go down

Fraud Alert
Page 1 of 1