Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable Empty
PostSubject: Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable   Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 1:05 am

My posts on forums are written on the fly. I do edit out mistakes and occasionally restructure a sentence, but by and large, I don't pay nearly as much attention as I do to my published works.

I was looking on Google for LC's comment about garbage and noticed this blog post among the search results: No. 1 reason reviewers trash self-published books

The blogger, Patti Thorn, was addressing the issue of changing standards of the written word and referenced another blogger's post: “Bad Writing Doesn’t Matter Anymore.”

Patti then went on to write this:

"OK. I’m willing to forgive the occasional misplaced comma – and I’m sure I’ve misplaced more than a few during my writing life. But will I forgive the author of that book that has so many grammatical errors that I can’t get past the first page without going cross-eyed? About as much as I forgave that desperate housewife Nene for wasting my time on Celebrity Apprentice."

I have issues with the way she writes, in much the same way that she has issues with self-published books. OK is a contraction; it should be written as "Okay" and the full stop should be a comma. "But" is now commonplace, but it is one of the broken rules contributing to the changes in acceptable standards of writing. Then there are three "that"s in one sentence and four in the paragraph, and twenty-four in the first ten paragraphs. That was something that I found irritating!

Standards of writing are changing. Advocates of grammar rules can't change them to suit themselves and say some changes are acceptable while others are not. The rules exist so that a recognisable standard can be achieved.

http://blueinkreview.com/blog/2011/06/no-1-reason-reviewers-trash-self-published-books/

BTW No. 1 should be written "Number one"
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable   Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 4:55 am

Like you, I blog quickly. Sometimes I go back and edit. I also write a news story each week that must be perfect. I think my blogging errors are a release from the pressure of perfection. Every word written, however, is a representation of the author.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable   Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 4:57 am

Personally, I think forum writing is a medium of its own. The tone and style is conversational, because that's what forums are all about. When we participate in a forum, we write as closely as possible to the way we talk. Since inflection is missing, we come up with new uses for the old standard marks.

That works better when we understand the reasons behind the rules. Memorization without getting the why doesn't help that much in these new circumstances. It's a little like putting new wine into old wineskins.

In a changing world, our means of communication change, too. Latin is a dead language partly because the language was not flexible enough to change with the changing world.

We still need to have a standard usage; we just need to understand what the standard symbols and structures mean. And we need to consider degrees of formality, based on the purpose for the writing. A book, digital or print, fiction or non-fiction requires a more formal approach. Blogs might be less formal, depending on the purpose. A writer's blog is an advertisement, as well as a way for the writer to reach a wider audience. The idea is to write something, in such a way, that people will be willing to pay you for your longer, more serious stuff.

I think that part of the problem is the current decline in the appreciation of art. It goes with the over-valuation of technology. Schools get funding for math and science programs, but the liberal arts are struggling.

That has an effect on both writers and readers. The readers are less well informed as to the standards, so they do not always notice the minor errors. They still might find the book confusing without knowing why, however.

So, we have readers who are more comfortable with predictable patterns, and writers who do not get the education they need to perfect their craft.

The books being published by mainstream publishers have been carefully proofed for mechanics and usage, and edited to fit the formulas for each genre, but it has been a very long time since I read a book with soul. There are a few exceptions, many of them, like Al pointed out, come from authors right here on this site. Very different - all of them, but the writing, the stories being told, have a spirit to them that gives them value. Betty's animals, Shelagh's virtual realities, Alice's quirky tales, Al's delightfully young-at-heart seniors, DK's unique adventures, Victor's disturbing dreams...just to name a few, all have something special that makes them enjoyable reading.

I am more disturbed over learning that just because a book is downloaded free or paid, does not mean that it is being read. It is the technology that Kindle owners are most impressed with, the instant download as opposed to browsing through a bookstore.

One reader on another forum where I post off and on, quickly let me know that she had bought my books. A few days ago, she commented that she would have to get around to reading them someday. I mean, yes, royalties are nice, but I personally want to be read.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable   Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 6:09 am

at which point the goblin pretended to be invisible amongst his peers once more, saying "...nah, just it's two things apart in my view humans, one is trying to create one's own writing style, where by now I imagine my readers, your good selves then, have little difficulty in following me, whereas that other idea of not caring about one's writing style is my exact opposite now, where it's like painting then, me I'm nonconformist perhaps but not haphazardly so, no I'm quite careful how I trim my posts to suit my purpose..."

Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable 87_Img4

Last edited by fleamailman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable   Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 6:17 am

("...double post, oh you naughty computer, come here I am going spank you now..." went the goblin)
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable   Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:12 am

It's a cool day when the goblin visits the chatter box.

While your syntax and streaming style may be unique, your clear knowledge of standard mechanistic, grammar, and usage give you away. Far from being haphazard, you know how it's done, and are free to make your own choices in how and what you create.

Thanks for stepping out. Wish you would do so more often.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

PostSubject: Re: Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable   Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 8:29 am

"...got to be careful I suppose, I mean I've been tossed out of so many writer's forums by now that I do my best to keep my act, for search of a better word, to myself out of harm's way in the games section..." replied the goblin who needed to be here today, explaining "...I've been fraying with trolls again, yes it's great fun too, only that it can stunt one's posts into over defensiveness where your company is more open and offers me a chance refind myself again...", simply the goblin veered from one extreme to the other then, where perhaps he was neither troll nor writer now, or maybe he was just an irreconcilable both perhaps, either way then he felt he was amongst friends here until the signal changed for him to cross back to there once more

Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable Magasin_des_suicides

Last edited by fleamailman on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable   Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 9:07 am

You challenge people to think, goblin, which is not a very popular pastime these days, hence the hostility you provoke among those who prefer to be spoon fed.

Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJlz55RErX0hroVW1MBuFr0VzAhdiYZL5ldawwx9FzlftDe34GTg
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable   Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 9:45 am

fleamailman wrote:
"...got to be careful I suppose, I mean I've been tossed out of so many writer's forums by now that I do my best to keep my act, for search of a better word, to myself out of harm's way in the games section..." replied the goblin who needed to be here today, explaining "...I've been fraying with trolls again, yes it's great fun too, only that it can stunt one's posts into over denfenciveness where your company is more open and offers me a chance refind myself again...", simply the goblin veered from one extreme to the other then, where perhaps he was neither troll nor writer now, or maybe he was just an irreconcilable both perhaps, either way he felt amongst friends here

Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable Magasin_des_suicides

The Motley Crew Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable 973110
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable   Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 1:18 pm

I like the walk/don't walk sign and the little green "go" light. I'm that bearded woman on the left with the slobbering dog. Sometimes, seeing yourself in a picture is a bit unsettling. Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable 958843

Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable   Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable Empty

Back to top Go down

Changing standards of what is and what is not acceptable
Page 1 of 1