Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Acts of God

Go down 
+3
thehairymob
lin
Abe F. March
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 8:47 am

Acts of God is a legal term for events outside of human control such as sudden floods or other natural disasters. This term is used widely by insurance companies as a disclaimer to pay in the event of “acts of God.”
I’m not up to date on what insurances are available for people living in areas that God seems to dislike. I can imagine the rates would be outrageous. If these “acts of God” were in fact acts of God, I’m wondering what ticked him/her off in the southern part of the USA.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 10:04 am

Really. They never mention God doing anything nice.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 11:15 am

It's just a way for the big company to get a way out of paying up when things go wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 12:27 pm

hairymob's (billy) namesake starred in a film made in 2001 about an act of God:

Quote :
Billy Connolly plays Steve Myers, a lawyer who became a fisherman from frustration. When his one piece of property, his boat, is struck by lightning and destroyed he is denied insurance money because it was 'an act of God'. He re-registers as a lawyer and sues the insurance company and the church under the geise of God, defending himself. The accident leads him to a friendship and eventual relationship with a journalist, Anna Redmond (Davis). Written by k wedgwood

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268437/

This is funny:

Quote :

Australian Actor May Sue Producers Over Sued God

31 October 2001 | From Studio Briefing | See recent Studio Briefing news
Australian writer-actor Patrick McCarville is considering suing the producers of The Man Who Sued God for relegating him to a small "based on an original idea by..." mention at the end of the film. McCarville told the Sydney Daily Telegraph, "I was mortified and embarrassed when I went to see the movie with my wife, a friend and with the cast and crew. ... I was promised I would be credited but when the movie came on there was no sign of my name up front." McCarville, a former NBC correspondent, said he had no complaint about the money he received for the rights to his story, which he had been trying to interest movie producers in for nearly 40 years. "Now I find myself relegated to underneath the carpenter and the cleaning lady [in the credits] and I feel pretty bad about it." The film, starring British comedian Billy Connolly and Australian actress Judy Davis, opened to critical acclaim in Australia last week.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 12:32 pm

Yeah I think I saw that one. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 4:42 pm

Mayby he's ticked off at all the fundamentalist preachers in the south or mayby he's trying to remind us that we've learned next to nothing from huricane Katrina.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 2:32 am

When I went to help the tornado survivors in Arkansas in February, the people had nothing but good things to say about their insurance companies. Perhaps it was because the companies were local, but those who had insurance had been seen, estimates made and although at times there was some disagreement, the people felt they were treated fairly. There were emotional issues, such as some wanting their old homes repaired and others who wanted them torn down because of frightening memories.

I think many insurance companies were in trouble after Katrina, financial as well as poor response.

I guess I'd rather think of something as a natural disaster than an "act of God" which sometimes causes people to come up with explanations such as whole populations being punished by God for their actions. When I spoke with the tornado survivors, what I found was the opposite, amazing stories of miracles, like babies being buried in rubble, but brought out without a scratch.

And New Orleans has done a much better job this time. It is literally breaking my heart as requests come over the phone and email for disaster mental health workers to help, but health issues prevent me at this time.

No matter how much preparation they have made, the storm is arriving and I believe loss of life will be less, but damage will be severe, and once again, devastation will have hit our fellow countrymen.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 2:20 pm

God hates Republicans, apparently.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 11:09 pm

Could be, Lin. Seems most of the storms hit the south after the voting in Florida gave Bush the win.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 8:13 am

And now He trumps their convention
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 10:05 am

Abe F. March wrote:
... If these “acts of God” were in fact acts of God, I’m wondering what ticked him/her off in the southern part of the USA.

Two national guard soldiers died in the desert of Fort Irwin while my son was training there. They were killed by lightning during a storm. (I am thankful my own kid wasn't hit ... but feel for the poor families of those young men.) I seriously doubt that our creator was "ticked" at them.

We live on a planet that is moving, powerful, and alive. The sky is also filled with energy. It isn't a dead rock hanging in space. The wind is moving, the sun is an amazing force, the water cycle is a miracle ....

The result is earthquakes,floods, avalanches, lighting strikes, hurricanes, volcanoes, tornadoes, droughts, ice storms, wind storms, and all sorts of other exciting things ....

Life is not boring on planet earth ...

God may be keeping things interesting ... and sometimes the results are dangerous or even fatal.

I don't think it is because he is ticked.scratch
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 11:21 pm

JoElle,

I don't think God does these things because he it ticked off either. These disasters happen. And it is all about how we react to them. Do we prepare and help others be prepared and safe? Do we help those who need help afterwards? Do we learn what to do the next time, and do we see the miracles?

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 2:12 am

Using a phrase my mother often used: "The lord works in mysterious ways."

Let's face it, if you believe God created the world, then God has a hand in everything that is happening. We humans (God's creation) are destroying the environment that is causing much of the weather patterns to change. Is God letting that happen?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Acts of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acts of God   Acts of God Empty

Back to top Go down

Acts of God
Page 1 of 1