Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY

Go down 
+2
Don Stephens
joefrank
6 posters
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY Empty
PostSubject: IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY   IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 8:56 am

11/18/2012

It's up to the public to stop stores from opening on Thanksgiving Day, the retail greed

has gotten out of hand, this is a sacred family day, here's a sample of a big box store here.

Thanksgiving Day Door Busters Deals 6:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Thanksgiving Day Early Black Friday 8:00 PM - 3:00 AM

Black Friday 5:00 AM - 11:00 AM until late evening sales.

Doesn't the American public realize there are sales all year round, why would people get into mob

scenes ? I do know Macy's New York is closed...What is your opnion ? Mine stores should close..

Cheers.....Joe....IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY 925501
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY   IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 9:45 am

It's no skin off my nose...I don't go...don't like crowds in the first place,
sure not going to subject myself to a mod scene!

As long as the people show up...the stores will open.

I'm so old, I can remember when stores were closed on weekends!
Now some of the major ones (Walgreens) are open 24/7 only closing Christmas and Easter.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY   IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 10:17 am

Sacred to what religion, Joe? Sorry, but I have been glad to find a store or two open on Thanksgiving Day.

I am not into Black Fridays or Thursdays or Novembers. The Christmas season, for me, begins December 1st and I refuse to consider it a day earlier, but, having been in an emergency situation where the dinner depended on finding some place that might be open so I could get that last minute necessity that I had forgotten, or burned, or whatever, to appreciate those who find a way to stay open. Sometimes the workers need the extra income; often those who work those special shifts do so voluntarily rather than spend the day at home alone - it doesn't matter. It is not always about greed; sometimes it is about offering a convenience.

In fact, a business generally makes so little on such a holiday that staying open is more cost-ly than cost-productive, early Black Friday being an exception - possibly engendered by the losses incurred from staying open for the benefit of regular customers.

Not everybody is out to get you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY   IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 10:35 am

I won't go, but will let others do as they wish.

This is America! IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY 748523
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY   IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 11:38 am

11/18/2012

Ann..

It has nothing to do with religion, Thanksgiving has always

been a family day, I'm talking about Dept. stores opening on

that day, there greed is getting out of hand...One day the

public will wake up....I shop on line or all year round...I don't

want to be apart of a mob scene..........

Cheers.Joe....Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY   IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Sometimes holidays are the only days people have to shop. The people employed by those stores need the pay they receive. The bargains make it possible for people with very little to have a luxury or two.

My brother and his wife are the "perfect" religious right family. My brother worked hard at a laboring job so his wife could stay home with two children. He drove an hour be freeway each way every day of his work life in Michigan. The had few luxuries. They are Christian and vote Republican.

On Thanksgiving afternoon my sister-in-law gathered the family and the newspapers and figured out who would stand in line where - and one year I stood in line at Big Lots to get my mother a $50 leather jacket. My sister-in-law made it a family fun day - a challenge to get what they needed at the very low price. I started standing in line Friday morning at 6:00 a.m. in a blizzard - but I got one of the 100 coats. We celebrated our victories.

So, everything is a matter of choice in the U.S. I'm disappointed that we believe we must have so many things that Black Friday becomes so important to hordes of people of limited means. I prefer the presents of note cards hand made with dried flowers and candlesticks made on a home lathes - but those days are pretty much remnants of the past except in some families that make them happen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY   IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm not sure I should weight-in on this subject. It was discussed a long time ago on this forum.
Where I live, stores have traditionally been closed on Sunday's and holidays. Exceptions being restaurants and services, i.e., gas stations. As Christmas approaches, some stores extend the evening hours, but as yet, no department stores are open on Sunday's or holidays.
Having family time is considered more important than making the extra money. Since people are accustomed to shorter shopping time, they adjust their habits and make sure they have what they need. If one stores stays open, the competition feels they must also open and it begins to mushroom. It gets down to "need" -vs- "want". Convenience could be construed as something entirely different.
As Don said, I don't shop on those days and it doesn't bother me. Forcing someone to work on a special day is not the same thing. The force I'm referring to is not a demand, however if an employee would prefer not to work it could affect their employment, and in that scenario, being open is forcing people to work. Now that there is more store openings, people are beginning to ask: "Where will it end?" They know about the work ethic and the 24/7 stores of the USA and don't want that, however many Retailers would welcome it. For the most part, if all stores are closed, the retailer has not lost out to competition.
Whether I like it or not is a personal preference. I think much has to do with discipline and planning. We can get things done and find what we need when it is planned. Sometimes we goof and miss something, but it is not life-threatening.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY   IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Then we would need to close on Saturday's as well, as that is the holy day of the week for many Americans, but when we all cooperate, we can work these details out.

My father-in-law insisted that he and my son needed to keep the family insurance business open on Saturday mornings. It was not about making money; it was actually costly to do so, but many of their customers (mostly male) had a difficult time coming in during the week, during regular hours. Keeping the office open was done out of consideration - as a service, not for profit.

We live in a different world. The days of stay-at-home wives and moms is gone, and not coming back, and that is probably a good thing. Household responsibilities are usually shared these days, since moms often work outside the home. Supermarkets stay open on weekends and holidays to serve their customers who need to shop on weekends since they work during the week.

Employees who work extra hours and weekends generally get time-and-a-half, and many of them, like my son-in-law, volunteer to work Sundays because he and Lynn have no children, so that the fathers can spend that time at home. He works at an entertainment park, so most of their business, other than summer months, is on those weekends.

For those who work full time and raise a family alone, it is not so much about planning and discipline as it is finding enough time to do both jobs, especially when children are younger. So, back to my point, what we need is not a return to an older way that doesn't fit our lifestyles today; we need to focus on having a sense of rapport in the workplace, where the less pleasant work hours are shared, and each other's personal needs are honored by the group.

Having women as managers would be a step in the right direction, especially now that our values, like compassion and cooperation, are being recognized as important leadership qualities, along with having organization and planning skills. It isn't a matter of either/or.

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY   IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY Empty

Back to top Go down

IT'S UP TO THE PUBLIC TO STOP THIS..THANKSGIVING DAY
Page 1 of 1