Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Where Do You Get your News?

Go down 
+4
Betty Fasig
joefrank
dkchristi
alice
8 posters
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Where Do You Get your News? Empty
PostSubject: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 4:21 pm

MSNBC, FOX,CNN, ABC PBS or other?

Which do you find believable?

Just curious as usual:)

Last edited by alice on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 4:25 pm

I get most of my news from the Internet. I read various blogs and various search engines that list AP wire articles. I also get information from the evening news on multiple stations and even FOX and CNN sitting in offices waiting for appointments. I get my news from sources referenced by people that I go and check out for its authenticity. I think no source is the best. In today's complex world it takes many sources to come up with some estimation of the truth. The worst slant is found at FOX and its affiliates owned by Murdoch, purveyor of salatious gossip and tapper of private phones to gather such information without impunity. Disgusting man to have so much power, even owns the Wall Street Journal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 4:44 pm

10/15/2012

I don't believe any of them, their all controlled

by Washington...........

Cheers..Joe...Where Do You Get your News? 925501
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Dear Joe,

We, the people. are in control if only we exercise our vote. I have no faith in the Republican plan. All that Romney and Ryan have spoken on the news is lies. Think for your self. Understand that your small voice, like mine, is why this Democratic system works. Even if your vote is not the same as mine, it is your right to cast the vote. If ever we give up that right in anger or the feeling that our vote does not matter, then the people who would take that right from us, win. Romney and Ryan would like to take your right to vote away with malarky. That is my view. I have lived a long time. I see what is happening and it is so very subtle. They instill a small idea that you do not matter, your vote does not make a difference, but, you know Joe, you are a powerful force and a powerful voice. Vote. It is important.

Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 6:44 pm

What Betty said.

This may seem off topic, but give me a minute. Years ago, while I was writing A Myth in Action, I participated in a massage board(wouldn't that be fun?) message board that began as a Biography Channel board, after that network did a segment on the life of Audie Murphy. One of the contributors was the director of the Audie Murphy Research Foundation. When the ALM Memorial Website started its own board, we all moved there. It was the webmaster of that site who convinced me that I should get to know the AMRF director better. She became my first cyber-friend, and was very helpful while I was writing that book. One of the things that we discussed was the proliferation of inaccurate data on Audie Murphy, and what criteria one might use to decide what to trust. We came up with a few, and shared them with those on the message boards who were having trouble reconciling the media contradictions. (And, boy, are there contradictions on that particular individual!)

Mostly they involved listening to your own gut, in one way or another. Did the data ring true? Did it fit what you felt to be valid where that individual was concerned? Was it consistent?

Consistency can be tricky, for all people change over time, and their views and perspectives change with them. But even there, if you take time to think about it, you can see a pattern that helps to describe that person, and figure out whether or not they are being true to themselves.

The first thing you have to do is know yourself. That may sound a little odd, but many of us believe that we are whatever other people have told us we were. It takes a little time to look inside and see where we are different from what our family, peers, and authorities have labeled us with being - or told us what we ought to be, and that we were bad if we were not like that, so we decided to stick our heads in the sand and deny who we really were, fearing we would spend an eternity in Hell or whatever. Trust yourself. Look inside. You will find good stuff there.

So, know what it is that you truly feel and want. Then, listen to that heart inside yourself and apply the above questions. Find out as much as you can about that person by looking at the material you have gathered. Decide whether or not the source has an agenda and what that agenda is. Then decide want you believe, and act on that belief, whether it is popular or not.

One of the beliefs that many people carry around inside is that "man is essentially evil."

A year or so ago, some of us got into a discussion of the novel, Lord of the Flies. The discussion had to do with whether or not it ought to be taught in middle school. My personal feeling was that it should not. One of the reasons I felt that way was that the main theme of that book was man's essentially evil nature, and how it had to be overcome by outside control.

I, personally, have come to believe that, at their innermost core, people are good. They are acceptable to God, just as they are. If you believe that of others, and play to that in your discussions and, yes, even arguments, with them, they will be far more likely to come to see it that way, too.

The root of this problem stems mostly from the Puritan religious belief that we are a fallen species, born in sin, because our original parents sinned when they conceived us through a sinful act. (They had - oh, horror - sex.)

Today, we live in a culture that believes it is OK for young people to watch acts of violence in the media, but not acts of sex. No wonder we want to make war, not love.

Back to Alice's question. I do not use one single source. I do not watch sources that do not resonate as being valid. It becomes more difficult as time goes on to find ones that are objective, so it becomes more and more important to know myself so that I can decide whether or not a particular report is valid, regardless of the source. I do not know of any single network that I can rely on. I suppose the BBC comes closest because they are looking at us from a distance.

I wish there were an easier way to figure out what the realities are, but I haven't found it yet. We have to get beyond our fears and be active participants in the world around us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 5:35 am

National Public Radio has some wonderful afternoon programs where they have call-ins from around the world with very controversial topics and opinions discussed. I learn a lot about how other people in other parts of the world see events from their perspective and it's quite enlightening.

Many years ago, I reported news in a small harbor in Georgetown, Bahamas from my sideband radio. I had the very slanted AFRTS, Beijing, Moscow and the BBC to gather news from. I realized my own power in making those selections. Thus is the power of commentators today.

Unfortunately, there is a segment of the U.S. population that is still very afraid of the differences that are coming to this country and have been vulnerable to the hate-mongering that stirs up emotions in this regard. I am so very disappointed in the movies and tapes that have been distributed to slander President Obama - but more so that people WANT to believe that stuff to be true. The remarks by republicans that pander to this garbage has also been a disappointment to me, inlcuding their voices on FOX affiliates, Rush LImbaugh etc. When people listen to that garbage from sun up to sun down, it becomes their truth. They tell it like they experienced it themselves.
Back to top Go down
PennyDeerhill
One Star Member
One Star Member
PennyDeerhill

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 3:13 pm

I live in a tiny travel trailer with no cable What a Face but thankfully with wi-fi, so I get most of my news from Yahoo, Facebook, and just offline, word of mouth through way of the neighbors and work friends.
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsnotwhatyouknow.wordpress.com
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 3:52 pm

All of the above, except for MSNBC plus The BBC The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times, though not as often as I used to in the past. Add NPR to the list, too. But I take it all with a grain of salt as there is no truly objective news source. The BBC comes closest, ironically, when reporting on both world news and U.S. news, though it too slants left.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 7:42 am

I am fortunate to get an disinterested view. Looking from the outside can provide a more honest perspective.
I like it when the news reports "just the facts" and not a lot of commentary. It allows one to form their own opinion.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 am

Does anyone listen to Glen Beck or Rush Limbaugh?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:45 am

Actually, when I drive to and from Michigan they are sometimes all I can get or their brother/sister hate-mongering other FOX affiliates. I can only listen so long and then silence is better. It's good to try and understand what people are hearing so I can try to fathom why they have the bias and bigotry that we are working so hard to grow beyond.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 11:27 am

10/17/2012

USA Today , In this state New Mexico I was totally

shocked to learn their are 60% Extreme Leftist Democrats,

their cruelty and hatred against Republicans go beyond

words, I find this disgusting, anyone who spews venomous

hatred in any party should be thrown out of that party, that

is why this country is so divided .......

Cheers..Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Tell us more who are they and what did they do?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 4:24 pm

I will just have to wonder!
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 6:50 am

This individual cannot vote here, but voiced a couple of strong responses on his Twitter page after learning his name was listed in a Wiki article as being a Romney supporter:

Russell Crowe ‏@russellcrowe
Villagers,I don't endorse politicians.Not my thing.However, Obama is the light & the future.Keep going towards the light. Put America first.

Some of his followers who were Romney supporters voiced their displeasure over an outsider expressing an opinion; he replied:

Russell Crowe ‏@russellcrowe@xxxx I get that and by and large agree. Somebody tried to hijack my opinion, I was forced to put my cards on the table. Sorry

and went on to explain:

Russell Crowe ‏@russellcrowe
Complex time for the world. America needs to continue the Global awareness that Obama has set. A healthy America means a healthy planet.

Knew there was a reason I liked the man
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 9:11 am

Good for him! I know he is good too--Ann likes him, so do I.
I like that he is crowing for Obama, that makes him a wise man.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 9:28 am

He would never have said it publicly if the Romney team had not claimed him - another of those lies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where Do You Get your News?   Where Do You Get your News? Empty

Back to top Go down

Where Do You Get your News?
Page 1 of 1