Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

How Can We Improve America?

Go down 
+4
Abe F. March
alj
dkchristi
alice
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 10:54 pm

[quote="paul.griffiths.7543"]You could always let us run your country for you like you do ours How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 492623 [/quote

You are new to this forum so I'll let that comment pass. Where I live it is recognized that I am a foreigner and I don't mix in their politics. If I am considered a foreigner in my own country perhaps it is time to give serious consideration for making a change in my
citizenship.

Thanks Alice and DK for your support.
Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 11:30 pm

@ Abe

Germany allowed me to keep my Germany citizenship while getting my American citizenship. I have both now. Maybe there is something similar the other way around. Where one does not mean giving up the other.

I have never looked into that... but maybe you get lucky.

Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 12:35 am

Thanks Katja. From what I understand, it doesn't work the other way around unless there has been a recent change. If one takes a foreign citizenship, one is required to give up their American citizenship. There are exceptions, ie., one can be an American citizen and also be a citizen of Israel.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 7:16 am

This forum needs the strength and ideas of all its members. Shelagh has done a splendid job of keeping a group together who have shared ideas for many years and new and welcome members join too.

While some of us seem to know each other better (thus Joe and I can argue 'till the cows come home but still respect each other) we need new people to add their ideas and writing skills.

While the topic seems political at the moment, other themes will take over at different times. Some people take an emotional ownership and actually get carried away with blame and name calling of those who think differently.

Pretty much though, things calm. Shelagh is always in the background, keeping things from going too far afield.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 am

I'm not sure I understand what Mr. Griffiths may or may not have meant with his post, but since he gives his location as Swindon, England, I wonder if it has maybe been misinterpreted?

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 9:20 am

Could be, Ann.

This thread is about how to improve America though. Is Germany trying to run England?
I hear that Germany is doing quite well running Germany.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 9:46 am

Or is America trying to run England?

Maybe Mr. Griffiths would be willing to come back and explain.

Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 9:52 am

@ Ann

my post was in regard to Abe considering "giving up" his citizenship (dunno if that is an improvement... muahahha... I leave that discussion up to you).

@ Abe

You may have to ask the Consulate in Frankfurt... I doubt that they would have that splattered across their webpage.

@Dk

One can always hope.
It doesn't bother me too much, but I wonder if there are some folks who come here "new," see the political posts that are dominating the forum and turn away.
You seasoned forum folks can determine that better than I can.... I came here and the political rants were already going.
Most of the time I skip them, sometimes I read them- depending on what mood I am in and how much time I want to take away from my writing.

Huggles,
Katja

Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 10:32 am

9/26/2012

katja..

Were a bunch of old friends who are writers

and go way back together when we were published

by the samer publisher , we like to vent our frustrations

once in awhile....

Cheers..Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 10:34 am

You do have a point Katja - and Don mentioned it as well (a veteran to this forum) that we should move the political rants to a "politics" specific thread and out of Chatter. We sure want to enrich the forum with new members so your thoughts are appreciated. Sometimes when we move a thread, it dies. That is the concern about the political ones. However, I think they are dying a bit anyway and they'll be gone after November 6....if you all can hang on until then...
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 10:41 am

I'm beginning to think that that is asking a lot. It seems to be the only thing anyone cares to talk about, even though every contributor has made her or his point several times over.

Maybe if we relegate the discussion to another part of the forum, we can get back to actually chattering.

We may not be trying to run England, but we are certainly taking over a forum that includes many members from the other side of the pond - including our fearless leader.

Ann
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 10:53 am

Maybe Shelagh can help with a move if that seems the general consensus - it will diminish the thread - maybe not.
Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 11:03 am

Like I said, it does not bother me (lol... obviously I am still here and posting), but I have seen Don's post, too.
I do not think that moving it to another post will make a difference, since that is what you guys chose to discuss and chit-chat about. That is what is on your mind right now and it is good that you are going back and forth about it. Besides, most people when they come here new... I would think... look at the recent posts... and that is what they will see.
However, I have noticed that other users- at this point- either do not chime in, or are just posting links to books that they are trying to sell (I don't know if that has always just been like that). So, for the time being (lol) this is kind of a 6 or 7 member forum...lol.
No biggy Smile I like you all Smile)
Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 11:18 am

alice wrote:
"Ask not what your county can do for you, ask what you can do for your country?"quoth John F, Kennedy. We may not have voted for him ( I was too young) but were shocked and saddened by his death.

How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 67296

Your speaking of JFK reminded me of a paragraph from my short story memoir, "MEMORIES".

Every parachute jump I made was memorable, some more so than others. One particular jump never even got made, yet it is the one that is burned into my memory the deepest. It was November 22, 1963.
There were ten of us on board a C-130 circling the base, gaining altitude before heading for the drop-zone. We were climbing to twelve thousand five hundred feet to make a sixty second delay freefall.
The jump was a demonstration for a group of foreign officers (the Shah of Iran) on base to attend a training school. The Op plan was for all ten jumpers to exit the aircraft at one time, off the rear ramp of the plane and then hook up in the air to form a ten man star. We would fall to about twenty-five hundred feet, separate and open, coming into the DZ as a group.
I remember glancing down at my altimeter and seeing we had just passed ten thousand feet, just then the pilot came on the speaker. “The jump has been aborted! The jump has been aborted! We are returning to the airstrip, the President has been shot…I repeat, President Kennedy has been shot!”
We all sat there and staring at each other in utter disbelief as the pilot put the C-130 into a tight turn and headed back for the airstrip.
As soon as the plane stopped rolling at the airfield everyone raced into the main hanger. Just as we gathered around the radio to listen to the news being broadcast, Walter Cronkite made the announcement that President Kennedy had died.
Ten bad-ass Rangers sat with their heads in their hands and wept like small children.

God speed Mr. President.

Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 11:47 am

Don,

You are making me cry.
You have more than earned the right to be whatever you want to be and vote for whomever you please
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 12:19 pm

In 1963, I was a freshman at Michigan State Honors College. We had one b&w television in the group room. A friend and I were returning to the dorm, laughing and carrying on as we pushed through the door - to silence and sobbing - as everyone was glued to the little television in shock.

In that freshman class, many immediately signed up for the Peace Corps. Several planned a trip by truck to Alaska to help with cleanup from an earthquake. Everyone talked about leaving school to do something in honor of the President who inspired the young and idealistic. Our professors said the best honor was to stay in school so we could do even more to honor his memory with the advantages of a degree.

I don't remember any president who inspired people like he did. His charisma was amazing.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Don, I could visualize what you were going through based on your description of the event. As DK pointed out, the President made such an impression on all of us that what we were doing at the time when he was shot is burned in our memories. My first commander-in-chief while in the USAF was Dwight Eisenhower. We were proud to serve under him. He was a war hero and represented the best of America. The next President that brought honor to us was John F. Kennedy. He was another man of integrity. He was an inspiration to many of us.

I think that integrity is essential for any President. Also a President that cares for all the citizens of the country. We currently have such a President. I have looked and listened to the other Candidate and can find nothing that would cause me to want to serve in any capacity under his elitist rule. I have yet to hear a speech that was motivational or would make me want to follow him. With Obama, I can feel his energy and his desire to make a better life for all Americans. That's just my take on things.
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 11:50 pm

Abe,

Ike was my first Commander-In-Chief also...It was under his orders that sent me to Southeast Asia for three tours.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve America?   How Can We Improve America? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How Can We Improve America?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2