Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Today is 11-11-11

Go down 
+2
Shelagh
alj
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Today is 11-11-11 Empty
PostSubject: Today is 11-11-11   Today is 11-11-11 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 11:45 am

There are various groups that give this date special significance, just because of the repetition on the #1. I don't know if I really believe any of them, but since they frequently say that this is a high energy day, and that the energy of the areas of the vortices, our high-energy sacred places, are especially powerful on such days, I had planned to visit one of them - on my own - to just quietly and reverently observe what I felt.

And of course, that high energy vortex is located at my personal special place, the Enchanted Rock area, just 80 miles roughly NNW of my home, and about an hour-and-a-half drive away.

That didn't pan out, as my oldest daughter called earlier in the week to say she had to work late on Thursday (yesterday), so could we shift the family dinner to Friday (today).

Of course, my unconditional love for my child won out over a trip to experience something that very likely would not happen.

Still, I did spend the morning doing something to honor the day.

Our year-long drought had done such devastation to my tiny little back yard, and the heat, even early in the mornings, was so unbearable, that I had moved a portable screen to cover the glass doors at the back of my kitchen. Everything was dead or dying, and I could not bear to look, any more than I could bear the heat, especially since being out in it would do no help at all in keeping things alive. Our water use was severely rationed - one of those lesser of evils that come up in human life.

So, this morning, I removed the screen, and walked out onto my patio and yard, surprised, a little, to see how much of it was turning green again. You see, the craziness of that drought had the plant life confused. Many of them thought it was spring, and had started to grow and even bloom. (Give me a bit and I will upload a picture of some sad, scraggily bluebonnets that I saw yesterday at the park about a 1/2-mile north of my house, while I was hiking on one of its trails.)

Anyway, I weed-eated the grass (The yard is too small for a mower), cleaned up the patio, replanted a few pots of herbs I had picked up at the market yesterday, and when the basic work of restarting its care and keeping was done, I sat in a chair, put my feet up in another, facing, just in case (I had read that this was the thing to do if you couldn't get to a "sacred place" on this 11-11-11 day),the Enchanted Rock area, and meditated for nearly an hour.

I don't know if it will work in any long-term way, but I have to tell you, I feel more alive than I have since June, when the unbearable heat made it next to impossible to go outside for anything more than a few minutes at a time, so long as you didn't attempt any effort while you were out there.

The work on my patio has just begun. As it redevelops, I will keep you up on the progress, but I have to tell you, whether the 11-11-11 forces had anything to do with it or not, or whether it was just the result of the first cold snap and the work I put in before I meditated, I definitely feel reborn. Oh, and I almost forgot. While I was contemplating a stand of Mexican petunias which were growing near the back right corner, a lone little monarch butterfly flitted down and landed on one of the deep purple blooms.

Now, on to dinner. Mu daughter's in-laws are visiting their younger son, his wife, and their grandson, so it will be just the three of us, but I am grilling ground-round-steak-and-bacon burgers from our super-dupermarket's butcher section, sauteing some organic baby bellas and slivered organic brussels sprouts, and steaming a little bag of baby Idaho potatoes which I will mash with scallions, cheddar, and sour cream.

The kids are bringing the wine, probably a special cab from our favorite local winery, just outside Fredricksburg, and within a power-surge range of Enchanted Rock, which, in case you are new here, you can see in my signature.

Later, guys.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Today is 11-11-11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today is 11-11-11   Today is 11-11-11 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Four elevens today, Ann. The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the eleventh year.

Today is 11-11-11 384425_256388684413315_241150989270418_825214_976837032_n
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Today is 11-11-11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today is 11-11-11   Today is 11-11-11 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Is that the 11th hour am or pm?
Betty Fasig
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Today is 11-11-11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today is 11-11-11   Today is 11-11-11 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Wouldn't it be cool if we could put those guys to rest once and for all? Maybe that's what this new energy thing is about.

Finally peace.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Today is 11-11-11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today is 11-11-11   Today is 11-11-11 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Eleven o'clock in the morning the Germans agreed to put down their arms:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Lt.-Col. John McCrae
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Today is 11-11-11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today is 11-11-11   Today is 11-11-11 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 1:26 pm

Amen.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Today is 11-11-11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today is 11-11-11   Today is 11-11-11 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Beautiful, Shelagh. I visited Flanders Field and it is an amazing sight. All the crosses lined up so perfectly. In the midst of that beauty is sadness. Death is not something I want to celebrate.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Today is 11-11-11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today is 11-11-11   Today is 11-11-11 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 3:00 pm

11/11/2011

In honor of my Grandfather, Father, Step-father,
Uncle, We salute you.... Today is 11-11-11 748523

Cheers..Joe.. Today is 11-11-11 748523
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Today is 11-11-11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today is 11-11-11   Today is 11-11-11 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Laurence Binyon, For the Fallen (21st September, 1914)

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is a music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncountered:
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables at home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end they remain.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Today is 11-11-11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today is 11-11-11   Today is 11-11-11 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 4:06 pm

11/11/2011

Shelagh..

That was beautiful, brought tears to my eyes,
everyone , no matter where, should be remembered,
God Bless them and their families..

Cheers..Joe.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Today is 11-11-11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today is 11-11-11   Today is 11-11-11 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 4:29 pm

I agree, Joe. That was beautiful, Shelagh.

And I salute my grandfather, father, and uncles for there willingness to put there lives on the line so the rest of us could live in freedom. And I salute the veterans here to.

It's true courage, and I thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Today is 11-11-11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today is 11-11-11   Today is 11-11-11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Today is 11-11-11
Page 1 of 1