Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

In Appreciation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

In Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: In Appreciation   In Appreciation EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 3:07 pm

In Appreciation 17MoesHallowedEve

MOE’S HALLOWED EVE
Moe, the cat, was Wooffer’s special and best friend. Most cats can see and hear very, very well, but not Moe. Moe did not hear very well or even see very well, not even in the dark. When Moe listened, he always heard SOME thing, but what Moe thought he heard was often not exactly what was said and what he thought he saw might not really be there at all.
No one in the woods could ever make Moe believe that he was mistaken in what he thought he heard or saw, not even his best friend, Wooffer. The truth was that Moe did not know that he did not see or hear like everyone else. Moe was very nearsighted and almost deaf. If ever an animal needed glasses and a hearing-aid, Moe was one who did!
Moe went through his day thinking he was hearing and seeing what everyone else did. He was sure of it!
One day, near the end of October, Moe was snoozing beneath The Old Oak Tree when Old Agnes, Mother of Thousands, came strolling along with many of the young Thousands following close behind. They did not notice Moe snoozing in the tall grass at all.
Old Agnes was saying something to her children and Moe listened as hard as he could. Of course there was a lot of giggling and squeaking and leaping about by the little Thousands that caused Moe to be a little more distracted. All he heard was ‘Hallowed Eve . .. .tomorrow,’ and then all of the Thousands were out of sight.
Moe wondered about Hallowed Eve but not enough to wake up and seriously concentrate on what it might be. He considered it was more than likely just something that concerned field mice and went back to sleep and thought no more about it. The sun was warm on his back and he went on snoozing in the sun. He had just settled into a dream about a nice can of tuna that was smothered in chicken gravy when he was awakened by a great din of noise over his head in the branches of the Old Oak Tree. Three squirrels were having a very loud meeting. Moe heard it very clearly.
“We must decide on our costumes for Hallowed Eve! I was a hawk last year. I want to be an owl this year. When I knock on a door, they will sit up and take notice!” said Sir Doodah.
Mr. Hoity Toity laughed out loud thinking of Sir Doodah as a scary owl. He thought that the hawk costume that Sir Doodah had worn last year was the most frightening sight he had ever seen. It was so scary that he was going to wear it this year himself. Many a squirrel hid in their nest when they opened the door on that sight!
“What do you think of that, Mr. Corn?”
Mr. A. A. Corn replied, “Fine with me. I want to be a big black cat!” He was glaring down right at Moe.
Moe never noticed at all. As he listened to the plans the squirrels made about costumes, he began to wonder a little more about this ‘Hallowed Eve.’ First the field mice were talking about it and now the squirrels. He decided to keep his ears open and find out all that he could.
Just after dark, Moe curled up on the picnic table and washed his face and whiskers to get ready for bed for the night. He was just curling into a ball for a long night’s sleep when he saw the armadillo couple, Mildred and Claudie ‘Dillo, come out of their summer home in the ditch bank. A long line of little ‘Dillo’s were skipping along behind them singing at the top of their voices, “Been In The Creek, Smell My Feet, Give Me Something Good To Eat!” At least, that is what Moe heard. This was something to remember.
Hallowed Eve was a big holiday, it seemed. Everyone was dressing up like someone else, getting good stuff to eat just for singing a little song that did not even make sense was hard for Moe to sort out in his brains. Moe would ask Wooffer all about it in the morning. Wooffer was a very wise dog and he would know.
Early next morning, Moe caught up with Wooffer as he was on his way to visit they Bully Frogs in the ditch and began to tell Wooffer all about what he had heard concerning Hallowed Eve.
Wooffer listened with great interest.
“You mean they all dress up as someone else and go knocking on each other’s doors and say, ‘Been In The Creek, Smell My Feet, Give Me Something Good To Eat,’ and they get good things to eat everywhere they go?”
“Yes! Yes! Yes! That’s just it!” exclaimed Moe, who hadn’t gotten the whole thing clear in his own mind until Wooffer had explained it so well. “Could we have Hallowed Eve, too?”
Wooffer thought it was a great idea.
“Only, who could I be other than me and who could you be other than you?” he asked.
Moe thought for a long time.
“I know! You dress up as me and I will dress up as you!”
Wooffer and Moe both liked this idea very much. They tried all morning and into the afternoon to dress themselves up as each other. Nothing seemed to work. No matter what they did, they looked exactly like they always did. Wooffer looked like Wooffer and Moe looked exactly like Moe. Wooffer could not meow and Moe could not even begin to bark. It was hopeless. So, they decided to go as themselves, which was just as well.
The morning of Hallowed Eve dawned cool and crisp. The birds were singing their good morning songs, calling each other to breakfast and having a wing-ding of a time. The woods was aglow with the early morning sun sparkling in the dew on the grass. The spiders were busy weaving their new webs for the day, and life was good for every body and every creature.
By mid afternoon, the excitement began to build for Hallowed Eve to begin. Everyone was working on getting their costumes just right. Sir Doodah was practicing opening his eyes very wide so he could look like an owl and all of the Thousands had put on their best clothes. Each one had a little bag to put the good treats they were sure to get as they knocked on doors.
Wooffer was Wooffer and Moe was Moe.
Excitement was in the air!
As the stars began to twinkle in the darkness of the sky, the squirrels knocked on each other’s doors. Sir Doodah almost fell out of the tree when Mr. Hoity Toity opened his door dressed as a hawk. It took some explaining to make him understand that it was the very costume he, himself, had worn last year. It was a great hit. The story of the hawk costume and how Mr. Hoity Toity had frighten Sir Doodah is still told to this day when all the little squirrels are sitting around the branches nibbling on the treats they have gotten on Hallowed Eve. They all smile at Mr. Hoity Toity and roll their eyes at Sir Doodah.
Everyone was having a grand time looking at everyone else’s costume and talking about each place they had gone and what good treat they had received from each door.
There was a beautiful sound of joy on the wind that night that hung in the leaves and set the trees to whispering among themselves of the loveliness of the earth and all that surrounded them.
Wooffer and Moe set off for Old Agnes’ mouse house in the ditch bank.
Old Agnes was a remarkable mouse. She had a share in helping every one of the animals on in the woods.. Her small size had not prevented her and the Thousands from doing some very big deeds. The whole woods still talks about how the Thousands had saved Cho Lee Yen, the peacock, from starvation when he was attacked by mean dogs and could not walk. Everyone in the woods had worked together to make him well. Old Agnes and her family brought him all kinds of food to eat, even collard greens from the garden to give him strength. Old Agnes was one of a kind.
Wooffer and Moe knocked a loud, friendly knock on Old Agnes’ door and waited in joyous anticipation. They could hear the happy little squeaks of many voices coming from inside. A warm light was shining into the darkness from the tiny window in the front door and the smell of candy and apples floated on the breeze.
Old Agnes, herself, opened the door with a big bowl of treats in her arms, spilling some popcorn on the floor. She smiled out at Wooffer and Moe and said, “Happy Halloween, my dear friends! Welcome to our home!”
Wooffer and Moe looked at each other and sang out together, “Been In The Creek, Smell My Feet, Give Me Something Good To Eat!”
Old Agnes blinked, then blinked and blinked again. She could not contain herself. She began to giggle and jiggle and wiggle. She snorted and gasped until she burst out into a good loud laugh. Wooffer and Moe laughed, too, and not knowing what to do next, they decided to say it again.
“Been In The Creek, Smell My Feet, Give Me Something Good To Eat!”
They look with anticipation at the big bowl of treats in Old Agnes’s hands.
Old Agnes was still shaking with laughter as she screeched for the Thousands to can and “hear this!”
Wooffer and Moe were not too sure by this time, but they were obliged to repeat it again for the Thousands who all squealed at once, “You are doing it wrong! It goes, Trick Or Treat, Trick Or Treat, Give Me something Good To Eat,” and they all went off giggling and wiggling and laughing together imitating Wooffer and Moe saying, “Been In The Creek…”
Wooffer glared at Moe.
“Did you hear that, Moe? We should have said, Trick or Treat, Trick or Treat, Give Me Something Good to Eat!”
Moe said, “That’s what we said, isn’t it” Been In The Creek, Smell My Feet, Give Me Something Good To Eat?”
Old Agnes patted Moe on the head and gave him some treats. Wooffer went home to tell his mom all about the evening and especially about how Moe had gotten the words all wrong.
Moe went to sleep thinking that Hallowed Eve was one very strange Holiday, but nice because he got lots of treats.
###

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

In Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Appreciation   In Appreciation EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

In Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Appreciation   In Appreciation EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Great cover for a great story, Betty. The black cat at Halloween. How purr-fect can it get.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

In Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Appreciation   In Appreciation EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks Ann.
I wonder if I should (hope they will) upload all the stories at once, put the first three or four free and the rest at .99 cents.
Or, dribble them out a bit.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

In Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Appreciation   In Appreciation EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 3:56 pm

They are ll such good stories that it will probably work however you decide. I would make a point of saying, in your description, that they are "short stories," and give a word count, so the reader will know what to expect. I got a lot of flack, at first, for "cheating" by only including one "chapter" instead of a "whole book." Having different covers for each story will be a big help there.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

In Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Appreciation   In Appreciation EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

One more:

In Appreciation 12TheHidingPlace

The Hiding Place

Margaret the chicken came running as fast as her big feet would carry her across the yard, squawking and screeching all the way. “HELP! HELP! HELP! Cho Lee Yen is hurt! Oh please! Somebody help! Where is everyone?” The only one she saw was Larry, the cat. Margaret ran right up to his face and yelled, “Get help quickly! Cho Lee is hurt, badly! Go find Wooffer! Do it now!”
Larry found Wooffer at the greenhouse chasing the lizards. “Come quick! Cho Lee is hurt!” Wooffer ran with Larry and found Margaret. Margaret hurried them over to where Cho Lee Yen was lying in a patch of tall sunflowers. At first they could not see him at all. He was sitting on the ground with one leg stuck way out and the other leg under him. He was biting mosquitoes out of the air as fast as he could. “Nasty little bugs,” he exclaimed. The mosquitoes were all around his head, trying to bite him on the eyes and neck.
Wooffer said, “What has happened, Cho Lee? Are you hurt very badly?”
Cho Lee told Wooffer how he was just strolling along when, out of nowhere, three big strange dogs came and tried to kill him. He ran as fast as he could, but one of them caught him by the knee and bit him before he could fly. Wooffer sniffed at the wound on Cho Lee’s knee and licked it. There was no blood and it was not broken, but Cho Lee could not stand up. It just hurt too much. Wooffer said, “Do not worry, Cho Lee, we will take care of you while you are hurt. We will bring you food and try to keep the mosquitoes away.”
Cho Lee felt better then, knowing that the other animals would help him while his leg mended.
Wooffer told Margaret to stay with Cho Lee and flap her wings if too many mosquitoes came around. She said she would flap all night and all the next day to help Cho Lee — and she did. Next, Wooffer went to tell Old Agnes and her family and Basil that Cho Lee was hurt and needed their help. Everyone wanted to help Cho Lee.
Agnes said. “We can bring him seeds from the grasses.” And they did. Every one of the Thousands brought something for Cho Lee to eat — wild oats, thistle seeds, broom weed beans, and even some grass for his bed to make him more comfortable. Basil brought him leaves of collard greens and wild lettuce to keep him strong.
Days went by and Cho Lee was almost as good as new. He could stand and walk around with a limp, but he said he was not ready to DO anything yet. So, Margaret kept flapping, the Thousands kept bringing food, and Basil kept bringing collards and greens.
One day, Margaret noticed that Cho Lee could flap his own wings to keep off the mosquitoes so she told Cho Lee Yen that she was going about her own business for a while. It was evening and Margaret went to wait by the fence. She knew that if dogs came once, they would come again. So she waited. She waited for two days. She saw one dog come ambling up, sniffing and scratching. He was an ugly brute! She waited while he came into the yard. He began to smell around, and she knew he was looking for Cho Lee.
“Not this time!” she muttered to herself. She kept quiet and followed the big dog. His tongue was hanging out and all his teeth were showing. He kept sniffing the air.
Margaret kept following, but she was so scared. He looked just like the dog that had killed all her sisters and friends.
Others were watching the big dog at that very moment. Basil and his brother, Silverthorn, had noticed him when he came in the yard. They were eating grass by the ditch. Basil said, “This is trouble. Go see if Wooffer is about,” and Silverthorn ran off toward the house to find Wooffer. He found Wooffer just about to take Cho Lee for a walk to exercise his leg.
“There is a big dog in the yard, and Margaret and Basil are keeping an eye on him. He looks awful mean.”
Wooffer quickly told Cho Lee to go back into the cover of the sunflowers and hide. Cho Lee wasted no time in hiding himself in the sunflowers. It was a good thing because, just at that moment, the big dog came around the corner of the house.
Wooffer ran growling and showing all his fierce teeth toward the big dog, who just laughed and snarled back, “I could bite you in two in a minute!”
The more Wooffer snarled and snapped and showed his teeth, the more the big dog laughed until he was rolling on the ground and holding onto his sides, and tears were running out of his eyes. “Ho Ho HoHoooohowow,” he laughed.
Meanwhile, Margaret had come around the other side of the house. She was hopping, clucking, squawking, mad! She flew at the big dog with both her big feet and pecked him every where she could!
Basil had come around the other side of the house and gave his best scream and kick to the dog’s backside. Wooffer was still snarling and yelling for the big dog to be gone! What a scene! The big dog leaped to his feet and ran off a little way. “You have not seen the last of me!” he howled, and bounded out the gate. Margaret was very tired. That night, Cho Lee flapped HIS wings to keep the mosquitoes off of Margaret.
Brutus, the big dog that had come around looking for Cho Lee that day, lived with his two brothers, Chipoff and Blocko somewhere over the road in Lester’s Field which is, as you know, a very wild and uncivilized land, indeed. Brutus and his brothers had been trained by their owner to hunt and kill wild pigs. But something had gone terribly wrong in their training, because they hunted and killed anything they could catch. Most of the time, the three big dogs were kept in a large cage, but sometimes they were let out at night. That is when they did their mischief. In the dark when most people and animals were asleep. When Brutus got back to his house, he told his brothers how Margaret flew in his face and about Basil kicking him in the backside. This was not the first time Margaret had gotten the better of Brutus. He and his brothers were the ones who had killed Margaret’s sisters and all the other chickens. So, Brutus and Chipoff and Blocko decided then and there to get rid of Margaret for good! They made a plan to do it very soon. Cho Lee Yen was almost as good as new. He limped but he could run enough to fly. Peacocks have to run and get up some speed to get off the ground, and he could just do it. Although Wooffer and Basil and Margaret still watched over him just to make sure he was not hurt again, he could get his own food now so the Thousands went back to getting ready for winter.
About a week later, Brutus and his brothers were left out for the night again. They waited until it was dark, and then started over to Wooffer’s house. They knew Wooffer did not go out at night. They knew that Margaret would be asleep. They knew that Cho Lee would be resting in the Old Oak Tree and that he could not run fast. It was looking like an easy way to get rid of Margaret and maybe Cho Lee at the same time. They began to smile and snicker under their breath. They did look awful and mean.
What Brutus and Chipoff and Blocko did NOT know, was that Wooffer had told his mom all about the danger from the big dogs, and she was keeping her good eye on things in the yard that night. She saw the three dogs enter the gate. Now, Wooffer’s mom is no mamby-pamby-milksop when she is mad. Wooffer’s mom is a terror to behold when she is protecting her animal family. She came out the door like her hair was on fire! She found the biggest stick she could find and raced toward them screaming, “Get on back home, you HEATHENS! I am calling your mother!” She chased them all the way back to the gate and watched until they had gotten to their home. Then, she went in the house and called their mother. “If you don’t keep those mean dogs away from my family, I will call the Dog Pound! They are not welcome here!” And she meant every word!
Brutus and his brothers were slung into their cage and not let out for a very long time. Wooffer licked his mom’s face to tell her thank you, and every one of the animals slept better that night than they had for a while. Wooffer’s mom does love the animals, each and every one.

Thank you, everyone.
My heart swelleth with in my chest.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

In Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Appreciation   In Appreciation EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 10:14 am

Those covers are gorgeous!

As to your question, I would be inclined to put them up one at a time to try to build anticipation among what will hopefully be a growing fan base.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

In Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Appreciation   In Appreciation EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 10:47 am

I agree with LC. Stretch it out and attract attention.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

In Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Appreciation   In Appreciation EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 12:37 pm

I am an impulsive old bat and sometime need restraining! Thank you for you input. How far apart should I space? The free one's are up and so the next one will be .99. I still have to figure out how to do the coupons and the discounts.
One a day, or one a week or four a day and four a week????????

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

In Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Appreciation   In Appreciation EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 2:36 pm

My guess would be one per week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

In Appreciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: In Appreciation   In Appreciation Empty

Back to top Go down

In Appreciation
Page 1 of 1