Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Writer in YOU

Go down 
+10
Helen Wisocki
RosenTrevithick
joefrank
melLkinder
Shelagh
Abe F. March
Al Stevens
alj
alice
LeeBrown2010
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

The Writer in YOU - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Writer in YOU   The Writer in YOU - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 3:28 pm

I have no reason for writing. When I write, I am not me. At least not the me that everyone recognizes as me. . .not my family, not my few friends, not Jazzmin or Sara or David. Some wierdo does this writing behind my back! I hope, in my name, they become famous. Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Writer in YOU   The Writer in YOU - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 7:05 pm

I hope your writer becomes famous, too, Betty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Writer in YOU   The Writer in YOU - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 7:15 pm

What DK said.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Writer in YOU   The Writer in YOU - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 12:22 am

I think many of us have thoughts that build up over a period of time. Writing them down helps to clear the mind as in a mind dump. The dump will remain a dump unless/until it is cleaned-up or recycled into something meaningful. I have read stories that appear to have been the result of recycled garbage, where the writer wrote crap. Then there are stories where the good from the garbage was woven into a story. Writing about the smell, the stink, and how that was overcome can develop into a good story.

Newbie’s often ask us about our writing motivation. Good questions.
Some on this forum have travelled extensively and have written about it. It allows the reader to travel with the author to exotic places and gain new insights. Some authors write so well that the reader can feel as though they were there. DK’s book about her travels and sailing give the reader the experience of sailing. It also makes the reader feel the anxieties and thrills of the sailor. When the writer can capture the smells, sounds and scenery along with the feelings, it becomes a great story. Although many such books are labelled fiction, many are based on true experiences. Sometimes writing about true life experiences can be painful while at the same time therapeutic. When I wrote about a particular experience in Beirut, it was emotional, but beneficial to finally get it off my chest. A story I’m currently involved with about a WWII soldier is such a situation. He kept his experience to himself for many years and finally got it off his chest. True stories should be treasured. Writing fiction and trying to create a credible image in the mind of the reader is not easy to do, however that is the challenge. The writer is challenged to create a feeling of angst with the character or characters. Suspense drives the story. The reader wants success for the hero character and some form of retribution for the bad guy or guys. Putting the reader on the frontline, in the boots of the main character, is what good writing does.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The Writer in YOU   The Writer in YOU - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 12:35 am

LeeBrown2010 wrote:
... who else is a risk-taker like the new kid on the block???

Why did you write a book??? That's what I want to know...

I've taken a few not so risky risks in my life. But I don't think any involved writing. scratch

Why did I write a book ... and then another ... and then another ... and then ... study

Let me think. Rolling Eyes

I've loved stories, especially fairy tales, as far back as I can remember. And I can remember pretty far back. I wrote my first story in fourth grade. I still think I should submit that story as a children's story book. That same year I wrote a poem for Mothers Day, and it was presented at a school assembly.

I always enjoyed writing and my teachers told me I had a talent for it. In high school I took journalism and a few of my stories were published in our community newspaper.

After finishing high school I married, and my writing was put on a back burner.

I began writing again years later. I wrote for our city newspaper, the city's bilingual paper, and a homeschool newsletter. I wasn't paid big bucks, but it was nice to be paid for my articles. They were fiction on items of community interest.

I finally began writing my first novel when my son became an adult and achieved his dream (he became a professional firefighter when he was 18). I realized I always told him to believe in his dream, and I realized it was time I did something about mine.

I had always felt as though writing a book was something I was meant to do. I didn't want to be one of those persons filled with regrets about the things they never did.

What I learned is that stories can't be forced. I tried to write a book. Forcing myself to write the story I thought I could/should write. And only wrote about 50 pages. Then got stuck. Eventually, my story did come to me. And then the strangest thing happened. It took off on its own.

I began the novel and the first two books were published. But then the characters insisted on more. And now I have a four book series out there.

And then the stories kept coming. Right now I am working on getting my fifth novel published. It is separate from the series ... and I have three other WIPs.

I wrote a book because it was what I was meant to do.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Writer in YOU   The Writer in YOU - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 5:03 am

Most fiction authors at some time reveal that their stories and characters include aspects of their personal lives if not downright autobiographical. Even the most fanciful and creative creatures, locations and plots include bits from the author's experiences with life, imagined or real.

We all have a story to tell. The difference is those who are compelled to put their stories in writing and find that they have a reading audience.

Once, published authors were fewer and revered. They needed patrons to cover the expense of time spent writing that often produced little income on the risk that the novel would be popular. Books had less competition from electronic media; yet, electronic media makes the potential for book sales universal.

Today, anyone may publish anything. With enough marketing savvy, they can make millions of sales and then, actually become better writers. It still takes courage to make the revelation of pieces of one's self or psyche and put it in the public for review and potential rejection.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Helen Wisocki
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Helen Wisocki

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: The Writer in YOU   The Writer in YOU - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 6:31 am

Quote :
Always good to see you here, Helen! I hope the latest book is doing well and good luck with the WIP!

Thanks, Shelagh! The book seems to be doing well--we'll know better when royalties come out. The story did find its way to others who knew Marco and the priest who abused him. His estranged sister reached out to him, never knowing as a child what he had been going through. In that sense, I feel the hard work was worth it no matter how many copies sell.

Quote :
It sounds quite brave to write a book about such difficult issues Helen.
When I'm writing, I find that the project almost consumes me whole for a
while, (before regurgitating me into a three-month pile of dirty dishes
and laundry.)

It must take a strong willed person to write a survivor story and stay positive.

Rosen, it is difficult to write these stories because I do have to step into the victims' shoes and "feel" their pain. I am consumed by the story while writing, too. Knowing that it's not actually "my story" helps me get through it and keep a positive attitude.

I'm excited to write more stories based on my own experiences . . . all in good time!
Back to top Go down
http://www.innocencebetrayedbyclergy.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Writer in YOU   The Writer in YOU - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Writer in YOU
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2