Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Ann's Joy Thread

Go down 
+16
Don Stephens
dmondeo
LeeBrown2010
LC
fleamailman
Abe F. March
zadaconnaway
dday50627
Helen Wisocki
joefrank
Shelagh
Al Stevens
alice
Betty Fasig
dkchristi
alj
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 6:36 am

Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 634186  Good morning, Shelagh.

It is a good morning, even while there's no Joe with my Joe for the first time in several years.  The app went down for the last time last night, along with igoogle.

But no Joe doesn't mean no joy.  I got through another difficult chapter yesterday, and it looks like I will be able to use Kingsoft (finally got the name right) Office, here on this little tablet.  Today will be it's first trial run, while I get started on a new chapter for Jack and Maggie.

We seem to be between crises in Washington at the moment (excuse me while I cross my fingers, stand, jump, and turn around three times)

Hope everybody peeking in today is having a good day.

Annie
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 5:38 am

http://www.dailyom.com/articles/2013/40580.html

Quote :
Focus on the Good
Raise Your Vibration
by Madisyn Taylor 

Everything in the universe is made of energy. What differentiates one form of energy from another is the speed at which it vibrates. For example, light vibrates at a very high frequency, and something like a rock vibrates at a lower frequency but a frequency nonetheless. Human beings also vibrate at different frequencies. Our thoughts and feelings can determine the frequency at which we vibrate, and our vibration goes out into the world and attracts to us energy moving at a similar frequency. This is one of the ways that we create our own reality, which is why we can cause a positive shift in our lives by raising our vibration. 
"Vibrant" people radiate joy.

How many vibrant people do you know?  What is about them that vibrates such energy?  This article by M Taylor has a bit of a "new age" bent to it, but underneath the woo-woo stuff, she gives a good explanation for the power of staying positive and and joyful, and how doing so helps to create the "reality" you live in.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 5:53 am

My minister recently gave a good talk on this subject.  People ask why bad things continue to happen to people who remain positive and surrounded by positive and joyful people.  The minister smiled and said, you are not the only one whose thoughts influence life around you.  All thought works together and one person's joy may contribute to another person's agony not by desire but by circumstance.  However, if there is a preponderance of positive thought, the odds are better for positive energy to radiate further.  However, you always have the choice to view your experiences with a hopeful perspective rather than one of dismay.  You may always look for the gifts in the negatives that come your way because positive experiences may also bring challenges.

In other words, one person's positive energy may not be the same as another and the two positives may create negative energy too...thus the science of positive thought has a glitch.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 am

It's a bit like dropping two pebbles in a pond.  When the rings of water waves expand, the two sources run into each other and disrupt the pattern.

What feels positive to one person may feel negative to another, because their "realities" are different.

I don't see it as a glitch, though, just part of a natural process.

Our current political situation is an example.

I think that the main thihg is that when we feel joyful, regardless of what it is that has brought this sense of joy, the enthusiasm radiates and increases the flow of it, just as being negative can dump water on the spirit of a group, and dissipate it.

Maintaining a sense of joy is an individual thing, and needs to be developed inward so that the influence of others is less destructive.

As I see it, anyway.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 2:11 pm

bounce   I knew there wa a reason why  loved my Kindle journal - I had to add the word "blonde" to my dictionary.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Blondes not getting the attention they deserve? That'll be the day!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 7:12 pm

I have been thinking today about one of my favorite teachers, Juan Carlos Antonio De Pineda.   He was my college Spanish teacher, and he had a fascintating background.  His classroom teaching techniques were extremely structured and strict.  In fact, I just now made a connection.  He never gave a name to the practice, but I just realized (duh) that wnat we were called upon to do was to "stand and deliver," which is the title of one of my favorite films, the story of Jaime Escalante, the California math techer who led his barrio students to take, and excel on, the US College Board Advanced Placement Exam for Calculus.

The AP exams were very strenuous tests where high school students who managed to pass could get college credit for the Freshman college classes in the areas where they passed the exams.  When I first started training to teach those classes(for English, not calculus, thank God), I was told that the film, Stand and Deliver, starring james Edward Olmos and Lou Diamond Phillips was require viewing.

If you haven't seen it, and are in the mood for an inspiring story that allows yoou to shed bukets of sentimental tears, check with Netflix.  I'm sure it is still around.

But this memory is more about the actual practice.  Dr Pineda would walk into the classroom, look around, slowly, at each student, fix his eyes on one, and call out the student's last name.  That student was then required to walk to the blackboard (yes, they were still black), pick up a piece of chalk, and stand patiently until Dr. Pineda pronounced the infinitive form of an irregular verb.  The student was then expected to perform a complete conjugation of the verb - a process that involved filling all the available boards, which encompassed two sides of the classroom.  When done, we were expected to check back over our work and correct until we were satisfied.  Once we were, we signaled our professor who then called upon the other students to make any corrections they felt needed to be made.  If someone volunteered, they made whatever corrections they thought were necessary, then went to stand beside the original student.  The offer was made until every student in the class who thought they saw an error had made corrections and joined the standing group.  Then, Dr. PIneda would go over the boards and make sure all was in truly proper order, to the shame and embarrassment - or pride, of the standing students.

(Stand and Deliver)  Jaime Escalante used the same methid to teach AP Calculus.

But at least one day each month, the class members were instructed to meet in a side room in the Student Union Bu8ilding, where our professor hosted a gathering of sandwiches and soft drinks while we just sat around a table with him and chatted.  Truly chatted.  That was how we learned that he had first come to America from Cuba in the months prior to the Bay of Pigs Invasion, in order to train for the event.  This man had been Batista's chief legal advisor, and a captain in his army.  For him, participating in the invasion meant hope for his country to return to the days before the revolution.  Instead, he was captured and spent seven years in prison - three of them in solitary confinement, before he was ransomed, assigned to the city of Houston, where he pumped gas until he learned to speak English fluently enough to return to college himself and earn the degrees and certification to teach Spanish at the college level/

You might recognize the name.  Antonio de Pineda was the name of Daniel's father-in-law.  Just a little way of honoring a man I respected highly.

But my memory of him tonight is about something different.  We were in one of our gatherings when he started to talk about how expensive it was to keep an automobile in goood running order.  "I have realized a thing," he annouced.  "I work for my car."
I have been thinking about that all day.  This morning I went to my car, intent on doing some last minute shopping for the Thursday family dinner, only the car would not start.  the ignition would not turn over.  After sitting in the car for a moment - totally into complete denial, I finally accepted the reality, got out of the car, walked back inside the house, went to the phone and called my daughter and her in-laws and cancelled dinner.  Then I set about contacting my mechanic.  He eventually came by and jumped the car, which started too easily.  I groaned internally.  I had been in this place before.  I got into the car and followed the mechanic to his garage, which, fortunately was not far from my house, allowed him to give me a ride home, and set about finding something to do as I waited for the news. (Much of which invlved coming here to look for some place to make a comment)

He called me to tell me I needed a new alternator.  I was not surprised.  My car is 11 years old, and while it still has less than 30,000 miles on it, I have replaced enough alternators in earier cars to know what the symptms are.  I also needed a new belt - that didn't surprise me either.  the other day, once, when I accelerated, I heard an audible whap-whap-whap-whap-whap.  it stopped than, and hadn't come back, but that one of those noises you hear once and you just know.  It was also past time for an oil change, etc, etc.  After a while he called me with a full diagnosis.  It was all going to cost me about $780.  I wasn't surprised.  Understand, my little Focus is a lovely litte car.  I have had her, as I said, for 11 years, and this is only the 3rd or 4th time i've been hit with such a bill, so, overall, I've gotten off lucky.

And that is why this tidbit is being shared on my joy thread.  I like my car; I like my mechanic; I am glad that I only have to do this about every 3-4 years.  

Annie
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 9:41 am

I once threw a book away because as I got into it, I discovered it was about numerology, and I assumed it could not possibly contain a valid perspective.  Since then, I have become less skeptical. (Please read that phrase carefully.  one who is less skeptical is still a skeptic.)

About a year ago,  I came across a website that I now visit regularly, even though the owner of the site is a numerologist, because she so often says things that resonate.  This particular article spoke so clearly to things that have been going on inside my head for a while now, that I feel a strong need to share it.

http://creativenumerology.wordpress.com/

Quote :
As electro-magnetic beings, each of us consists of both masculine and feminine energy. This sexual vibration is what keeps life going, through the process of reproduction and regeneration. 2 is the number of CONNECTION, and when masculine and feminine willingly and lovingly connect and work together, all forms of prejudice and imbalance are pushed to the outer edges – the extremes – where their ability to disrupt and obstruct the evolutionary process is limited.

Inevitably, there is an almighty battle going on, everywhere, to keep the feminine down. This is why rape and ‘trafficking’ (enslavement), and other vicious acts against women and children (and men) are being exposed all over the world. Old misogynistic energy is digging in its heals – standing its ground – against the rising waves of fairness, equality and peaceful coexistence.
This evolutionary transition is what the war on women is all about. It is what the enormous global power-grab is all about. It is what the current surge of racism is all about. When we look at reality from different angles, we see a fuller story. When we look at 11 from a different angle, we see the equals sign.

Human beings can never be equal, and racism can never end while this addiction-driven patriarchal system we are trapped in is itself one big race for control and superiority.

People whose power is invested in the old way of life which keeps others down, are trying to drag humanity backwards to a time when men were deemed superior to women and light was  superior to dark. Today, women are gaining powerthrough self-acceptance and a greatly increased sense of responsibility. 11 symbolizes facing our own reflections and accepting ourselves as we are.  1 = SELF.  2 = ACCEPTANCE.

When women are in tune with their feelings, they have a natural ability to produce results through COOPERATION and FAIRNESS. They instinctively know that they have something vital to contribute to life. Men are evolving too by recognizing and utilizing their own ability to feel and sense – their own feminine energy. This does not harm masculine intellect in any way. On the contrary, the vibrations of our feminine feelings open the masculine mind – and intelligence increases. The merging of mind and emotion is the expansion of consciousness, and that is evolution.

And while I am still a skeptic, as I went to bed last night, I looked at the clock and it read 11:11.  And I decided to post this today because I looked at my clock a little bit ago and it read 11:11

Weird.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 10:40 am

Most of human behaviour is instinct driven. Men are stronger than women and use that strength to gain power. In a war zone, when one side concedes to the other, the victorious celebrate by raping the women of the defeated side, thus passing on their stronger seed to strengthen the next generation. No thought processes are involved. Without laws to protect victims of war, human instinct would prevail. Odd though this behaviour may seem, it is our survival instincts that drive us more than any other motivation. We can try to control human behaviour, but we will never change it. We have evolved very little since caveman days. Without law and order we are extremely base.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 11:22 am

"If you understand the United States as a patchwork of separate nations, each with its own origins and prevailing values, you would hardly expect attitudes toward violence to be uniformly distributed. You would instead be prepared to discover that some parts of the country experience more violence, have a greater tolerance for violent solutions to conflict, and are more protective of the instruments of violence than other parts of the country. That is exactly what the data on violence reveal about the modern United States."

http://www.tufts.edu/alumni/magazine/fall2013/features/up-in-arms.html
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 11:41 am

I like this.  I haven't had time to read it thoroughly yet, but I will.  So far, it seems to back up the findings in the book, Albion's Seed, which was one of my main sources for understanding my family history while I was working on Ailcy's Legacy.
http://www.amazon.com/Albions-Seed-British-Folkways-Cultural/dp/0195069056

I'm working from my Kindle and it sometimes tends to erase my posts when I add tabs, so I'm saving this before I lose it.  More to come.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 11:47 am

Shelagh's link wrote:
Before I describe the nations, I should underscore that my observations refer to the dominant culture, not the individual inhabitants, of each region. In every town, city, and state you’ll likely find a full range of political opinions and social preferences. Even in the reddest of red counties and bluest of blue ones, twenty to forty percent of voters cast ballots for the “wrong” team. It isn’t that residents of one or another nation all think the same, but rather that they are all embedded within a cultural framework of deep-seated preferences and attitudes—each of which a person may like or hate, but has to deal with nonetheless. Because of slavery, the African American experience has been different from that of other settlers and immigrants, but it too has varied by nation, as black people confronted the dominant cultural and institutional norms of each.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptySat Nov 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Still studying Shelagh's link, so far it generally echoes my previous studies, and it lists Albion's Seed as a source.  Since I was using that book as a means for studying my maternal forbears, I was most interested in the section about the Backcountry group, which is the same as what this Tufts U source   calls the Appalachian group.  I like the fact that Albion's Seed points out that the Appalachians were not the only area where this group migrated into.  For anyone interested, there is ab extensive site dealing with this group here,

The map is really cool. I particuraly like the look at the herding cultures.  As a Texan, I especially like the fact that my home state of Texas crosses a lot of different boundaries.  It is basically valid.  there are at least a couple of small areas that are  not accounted for.  One is the area where I was born and lived half of my life at this point.  Ths strongest influence in coastal southeast Texas was what Shelagh's source calls New France.

South Central Texas was primarily influenced by what we calll the nortenos ( that middle "n' needs an umlaut) culture - "El Norte" in the article - which points to the reality that there is not a single Mexican culture, either.

The area where I live now has another strong influence - that of the East European settlers, which included a strong Germanic influence.  The closest reference in Shalagh's link article would be the New Netherlands group.

The important underlying point, from my perspective, is that most, if not all, of thee perspectives are valid explanations of the patriarchal cultures that have contributed to our current situation.

I still belive that those cultures are fading.  They are all based on either industrial societies or even older agricultural societies, neither of which are compatible with the emerging informational society.

And there is a conection, I believe, to the emergent concept of the Sacred Marriage - the merger of masculine and feminine characteristics that define the new paradigm.  These are the principles of the Information Age.  The influences of both the agricultural and industrial ages will continue to decline.

But that's just me.

Thaks again, Shelagh.  I'm getting so much backgound from this link.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 9:53 am

Shelagh's article has set me off on one of those tangents, I'm afraid.  I found myself to pull out my copy of Albiions Seed: Four British Folkways in America, which,  mentioned above, was one of the sources listed for the article.

The one of those folkways in Albion's Seed that I had been most interested in was in the sectionof that book called British Borderlands to American Backcountry, since I was, at the time, researching my mother's ancestors, most of who came from that region.  In Shelagh's article, the area is referred ti as "Greater Appalachia":

"Founded in the early eighteenth century by wave upon wave of settlers from the war-ravaged borderlands of Northern Ireland, northern England, and the Scottish lowlands, Appalachia has been lampooned by writers and screenwriters as the home of hillbillies and rednecks. It transplanted a culture formed in a state of near constant danger and upheaval, characterized by a warrior ethic and a commitment to personal sovereignty and individual liberty. Intensely suspicious of lowland aristocrats and Yankee social engineers alike, Greater Appalachia has shifted alliances depending on who appeared to be the greatest threat to their freedom. It was with the Union in the Civil War. Since Reconstruction, and especially since the upheavals of the 1960'S, it has joined with the Deep South to counter federal overrides of local preference."

It is also referred to in the article as being one of the more violent areas, second only to the Deep South.  I posted a link earlier to a website that covers this portion of Albion's Seed in more depth a few posts back, should anyone be interested in a more detailed look.

One of the things I remembered, and wanted to check out again, was a reference in Albion's Seed  to the fact that this group also contributed the most US presidents of any group.  The book listed 18:  Andrew Jackson, James Polk, James Buchanan, Andrew Jonson, Ulysses Grant, Rutherford Hayes, Chester Arthur, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, William Mckinley, Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and Ronald Reagan.  We now need to add one more from after the books publication, Bill Clinton,  The Bushes are not considered part of this group; Bush, Sr is listed as Puritan, and part of the articles "Yankeedom":

"Founded on the shores of Massachusetts Bay by radical Calvinists as a new Zion, Yankeedom has, since the outset, put great emphasis on perfecting earthly civilization through social engineering, denial of self for the common good, and assimilation of outsiders. It has prized education, intellectual achievement, communal empowerment, and broad citizen participation in politics and government, the latter seen as the public’s shield against the machinations of grasping aristocrats and other would-be tyrants. Since the early Puritans, it has been more comfortable with government regulation and public-sector social projects than many of the other nations, who regard the Yankee utopian streak with trepidation."  

The article's Yankeedom holds the honor of being the least violent.

Curiously ironic.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:47 am

Not ironic when you take into consideration that Calvinism favoured democracy: "The Congregationalists who founded Plymouth Colony (1620) and Massachusetts Bay Colony (1628) were convinced that the democratic form of government was the will of God." (Wikipedia).

Democratic communities are less violent than authoritarian and totalitarian states. Enfranchised nations can vote out a democratically elected government, but only force will oust a dictator.

Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 11:00 am

Shelagh wrote:
Not ironic when you take into consideration that Calvinism favoured democracy: "The Congregationalists who founded Plymouth Colony (1620) and Massachusetts Bay Colony (1628) were convinced that the democratic form of government was the will of God." (Wikipedia).

Democratic communities are less violent than authoritarian and totalitarian states. Enfranchised nations can vote out a democratically elected government, but only force will oust a dictator.

Sorry, I was only referring to the fact that the Bushes are considered to be a part of that group.

Yes, the Calvinists were strongly democratic. They also believed that God favored good people with good things, so poverty was a sign that one was not part of the Elect.

There is a strong Calvinistic bent in the Backcountry societies, too. Maybe that's connected to why so many of them bacame presidents.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Now I see the irony.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Latest news on The Water Diviner:

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/water-diviner-russell-crowe-director-1200810315/

Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 Russell-crowe-australia

Quote :

Russell Crowe is feeling passionate about his directorial debut “The Water Diviner,” with shooting starting Dec. 2 in Australia.  “It’s a love story above all and it’s very culturally significant,” Crowe told Variety at AFM. “This is where Australia became Australia.”

Crowe has been in Santa Monica meeting with international buyers and unspooling a sizzle reel at the American Film Market, where Mister Smith Entertainment has started selling the project.

Producers are Andrew Mason and Troy Lum for Hopscotch Features, and Keith Rodger for Crowe’s own Fear of God Films. RatPac Entertainment, which recently concluded a slate funding deal with Warner Bros. in partnership with Dune Entertainment, is making its first moves into independent film and has come on board with production funding for this, its first indie project. RatPac founders James Packer and Brett Ratner will serve as exec producers for the film.

Crowe will portray an Australian farmer who — four years after Turkey’s Battle of Gallipoli during World War I — travels to Istanbul to discover the fate of his sons, reported missing in the action. Olga Kurylenko will play the Turkish woman who owns the hotel in which he stays.

“It feels very natural for me to be directing a film, since I’ve directed videos and documentaries,” he said. “I’ve spent a lot of time on sets for the last 20 years.”

Crowe admits a strong affection for Peter Weir’s “Gallipoli,” released in 1981.

“I love Peter Weir’s film but this is not that,” he noted. “The last scene in that film is a freeze frame of one of the young boys getting killed in battle. So this is where the story picks up — what happened to the people who lost loved ones.”

Crowe began working on the project in 2011 and was in “pre pre pre prep” by January. He made three trips to Turkey and met with Kurylenko to persuade her to take the part.

“She’s Ukrainian and that’s very good for this story, which is told in English, French and Turkish,” Crowe said. “We also have several of the biggest Turkish box office stars — Mirt Firat and Yilmaz Erdogan from ‘The Butterfly’s Dream’ — and Cem Ilmas, who is the most beloved Turkish star.”

Crowe is also delighted fellow Australian Jai Courtney is in the cast and has been training with the several Aussie actors in horseback riding and gun handling. “I think they have an emotional commitment to the story,” he added.

Crowe recently completed filming on “Noah” and “Winter’s Tale.”
Some of the film's shooting will be done in Turkey, at Gallipoli, In Istanbul, and several historical sites as well.

I addition, in mid-January, at Coff's Harbor, the nearest civilized community to RC's cattle farm, the gang will gather for four consecutive Garden Parties.  The groupp is a bit variable, but nearly always includes Robin Hood's Merry Men Alan Doy,e(Alan a Dayle in the film as well as lead singer of Great Big Sea, a folk-group from St. John's, Newfoundland), Scott Grimes (Will Scarlett as well as Mystery, Alaska, Band of Brothers, American Dad, and LA's musical duo, Griney and Grimes),  Kevin Durand, (Little John as well as Mystery, Alaska, 3:10 to Yuma, and many other film roles, Size 2 Shoes (the O' 0 Sulleabhian brothers, Winter's Tale) and Samantha Barke (Eponine, Les Miserables) and others that I forget.

I will be ther if I happen to win the lottery in the meantime.  Any of you who might just happen to be in New South Wales, australia  around that time, I highly recommend the show.  Here's a bit from the last show in NYC in December, during filming of Winter's Tale:

Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 10:05 am

Everybody here knows that I am a strong believer in Synchronicity, so maybe this post won't surprise anyone.

This one started several years ago, while I was still tutoring at Sylvan.  One of my little extra jobs was to train new tutors.  One day I was asked to train a young teacher whose husband was military.  They had just been transferred to Lackland.  Before that, I learned, we had both taught in the same school district in Northwest Houston, although at different times.  We had been on some of the same campuses and knew some of the same people.   Toward the end of the training session, she looked at me a little strangely and said, "I think I know of a book you might like to read.  It's called The Book Thief."  Something about the oddity of it had me looking up the book as soon as I got home.  I had just purchased my first iphone, and had added a Kindle Reader to it.  The Book Thief became one of my first Kindle purchases.
I began reading, and became so engrossed in it that I read through the night and into the weekend.  I ended up finishing it on my PC reader so I could recharge my phone.  Afterwards, I just sat, silent, trying to incorporate the story into my head.  The next week, after I went back to work, I looked for that young teacher from Houston, but didn't see her.  When I asked, I was told that she got a job at one of the schools and wouldn't be tutoring.  That night was the only night she was there.  I never got a chance to thank her for directing me to a book that had such an influence on my life at the time.  The book was so beautifully written and told such a powerful story that I made up my mind that I just had to take my own writing more seriously.  It wasn't long after that I started remembering a group of stories that I had written in my journals back in the late 80's and early 90's.  The stories involved a hero who had discoverd a secret source of power, hidden deep underground, and began to devote his life to protecting that power source.  He had lots of names early on, but eventually, he, along iwth his descendents ant later incarnations, was eventually given the name Redstone.

Then, about a week ago, my Kindle, as I would turn it on, showed an ad for a new film: a movie version of The Book Thief.  At around the same time, ads for The Book Thief movie started showing up on TV.   It is still showing up on an unsusally frequent basis.

So I have been rereading this story, narrated by Death, about the life of a young orphan girl in Germany during the mid 30's and into the mid 40's, and her life with her foster parents during Hitler's regime.  The child heroine's step-father had a Jew hiddden in the basement for several of the years she lived with them, and that young Jewish man became her close friend and confidant - her teacher and source of strength as she protected him.

The wiki link below can tell you probably more than you might want to know if you should decide to read the book or see the film, which is being released this Friday - major plot spoilers, but here is the link - read as much or little as you choose.  The book is far more beautifully written.  I think I may be going to the movies this weekend.

Sometimes the essence of truth is clearer in fiction than in recollections and perspectives of history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_Thief
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 2:17 pm

Pre-ordered my Kindle Fire copy of Man of Steel a week or so ago.  It arrived today. 

Watching movies on the Kindle works quite well.  Even though the screen is small, there is an intimacy about watching it up close that is different from seeing it in a theater, but more connected that watching a TV screen across the room.

I ha dreally liked the film, in spite of the overdone CGI violence, especially near the end.  That, too, was less shocking on the smaller screen.  I still like it, maybe even better now.

What the film does, from the beginning scenes on Krypton is point out the importance of taking care of the planet.  The leaders on Krypton have been too busy arguing politics and getting nothing done (also sounds familiar) and are ignoring their head scientist (Jor-El, superman's birth father) as he warns them that their misuse of the planet's resources is destroying it.

The film also came out on DVD today.  for anyone who hasn't seen it and is wondering about it, here is a feature clip:

Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 7:37 am

Another inspiring Daily Motivator from GreatDay.com:

http://greatday.com/cgi-bin/X10/video.pl?3695p07HGucc

Beautiful reality +++++++++++++++++++

Act not out of judgment, but out of love. Live not from a position of fear, but from a perspective of joy.
Let go of the need to prove how good you are. Live in such a way that real goodness, joy and generosity flow naturally from all you do.

Instead of seeking to gain more advantage, discover new ways to give more value. Instead of worrying about what might be, live the immense treasure of what already is.

Don't waste your time looking for happiness in this thing or that. Let happiness always find you right where you are, doing whatever you are doing.

See life not as a contest where some must lose in order for others to win. See it as an opportunity to lift yourself higher by lifting many, many others through your unique gifts.

Let go of the illusion that you must struggle. And let in the beautiful reality of how very good life can be.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 4:03 pm

There are several more little vids on the film at the YouTube site, BTW

Wasn't "Death by Water" from TS Eliot's Wasteland?  Betty? Shelagh?  Anyone?

The thing is, though, no phrase worked better for what we've seen so far of Aronofsky's version of "Noah."
http://www.bartleby.com/201/1.html

In this decayed hole among the mountains 385
In the faint moonlight, the grass is singing
Over the tumbled graves, about the chapel
There is the empty chapel, only the wind’s home.
It has no windows, and the door swings,
Dry bones can harm no one. 390
Only a cock stood on the roof-tree
Co co rico co co rico
In a flash of lightning. Then a damp gust
Bringing rain
Ganga was sunken, and the limp leaves 395
Waited for rain, while the black clouds
Gathered far distant, over Himavant.
The jungle crouched, humped in silence.
Then spoke the thunder

(I have no bleeping idea what that "allow script access" stuff is all about. It doesn't show up on the edit page, either format, so I can't delete it.)
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Death by Water by T. S. Eliot: http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoem.do?poemId=7629
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 5:17 pm

That's Eliot's own voice, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 2:57 am

"The recording of 'The Waste Land' presented here is a particularly exciting find. It dates from 1935, a decade earlier than the well-known and much more widely available 1946 recording. Whilst the sound quality is understandably not so good, the recording is fascinating for Eliot's faster, more energetic rendition. Listening to this urgent interpretation blows the dust of this iconic poem and helps us encounter it afresh."

Historic recordings of other poets:

http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/historicRecordings.do;jsessionid

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ann's Joy Thread   Ann's Joy Thread - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ann's Joy Thread
Page 25 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29 ... 34  Next