Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Tomorrow I will be a new mom

Go down 
+2
James
Betty Fasig
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Tomorrow I will be a new mom Empty
PostSubject: Tomorrow I will be a new mom   Tomorrow I will be a new mom EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Tomorrow I will become the mother of one pound of red trout worms. They are babies. It will be a new adventure for all of us.
I will not tell the chickens.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2010-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow I will be a new mom   Tomorrow I will be a new mom EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 3:59 pm

If I can look like Eddie Fisher Betty, you can be the mom of a pound of red trout worms (notice the clever way I used your term "mom" instead of "the mother of?" I should be commended for that!)

We used to raise chickens - so I know you are well advised not to tell the chickens, or the Robins, about the worms!
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow I will be a new mom   Tomorrow I will be a new mom EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks James. I remember Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds and then Liz. After that I lost track. I always thought he was nice looking in an Italian kind of way. I remember Oh, My Papa!

The worms are now in their new bed which is called a worm factory. It is a contained composting system. The worms are fed table scraps (ground in a food processor) and shredded newspaper as food. The media is coconut fiber and a little composted soil. This will produce compost for gardens and liquid fertilizer. I would like to see how much of these two things the one pound of worms produces and how long it takes, how many new worms are the result and if it is feasable to do this on a large scale.

I am still thinking of the honey bee adventure.

I have not named all these worms. I will wait to see if they have any personality. Smile
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2010-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow I will be a new mom   Tomorrow I will be a new mom EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Dear Betty

It sounds like a real adventure - how are you going to know how much compost and liquid fertilizer this will produce? Does it spread or increase in some manner?

P.S. I'd think naming the worms would be kinna tough - they all look alike to me!
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow I will be a new mom   Tomorrow I will be a new mom EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 3:08 pm

I've heard about this. I am so proud to know someone who is using it. One more step toward sustainability.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow I will be a new mom   Tomorrow I will be a new mom EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 4:56 pm

A worm farm--how clever--leave it to you
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow I will be a new mom   Tomorrow I will be a new mom EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 2:28 am

Hi Mom, this is such an interesting project. I wonder if the fertilizer would be good for the strawberries?
If successful maybe you'll branch out and farm silkworms.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow I will be a new mom   Tomorrow I will be a new mom EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 6:22 am

My son-in-law has a large container in his basement where he grows worms for his garden. Doesn't look good, but seems to work. The garden does well, and some are used to go fishing.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow I will be a new mom   Tomorrow I will be a new mom EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 3:33 pm

The way this is supposed to work is a worm high rise. The worms compost the media they are in in one try, breed and multiply, another tray is added on top of the first tray. Each tray is perforated with holes so the worms can travel upward to the next tray, the food on the second tray, which is attop the first, attracts the worms to move upward through the little holes to get to the food in the second tray so the media in the original tray is free of worms and can be harvested for compost, the liquid that is generated by the ingestion of the worm food drains through the media and is collected in a bottom tray that has a faucet for easy removal and collection. Worm pee.

It is clean, does not smell. The abundance of worms that are concieved and born in this system and grow to adults are used to start other factories or sold as fishing worms.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow I will be a new mom   Tomorrow I will be a new mom EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Update on the worm farm

I have gotten the feeding down to a science. I put the potato peelings the shredded newspaper, the left over rice, noodles, whatever into the food processor until it is puree. I put it into zip lock containers that hold about a cup and freeze it in the ice cream freezer that is is the same building as the worm farm. Once a week, I thaw out a container of it, mix it with water so that it can be poured over the farm and there I am, good for another week. After a month of this, I add another tray to the top, put the shredded newspaper, some composted leaves, some soil and top it all with the food from the freezer, cover it with wet newspaper and put on the lit. Ahhh,
So far, so good.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tomorrow I will be a new mom   Tomorrow I will be a new mom Empty

Back to top Go down

Tomorrow I will be a new mom
Page 1 of 1