Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

$1.5 million advance for Assange's biography

Go down 
+2
alice
LC
6 posters
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

$1.5 million advance for Assange's biography Empty
PostSubject: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 9:16 am

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/12/28/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-to-write-his-autobiography-f/?icid=maing%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec2_lnk2%7C33551

What crap. I hope everyone boycotts this book and anything else that Knopf publishes. I sure will.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:23 am

LC,

I am with you 1000%
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:33 am

What about the hundreds of millions that will be spent on fireworks New Year's Eve?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:37 am

N/A

Last edited by alice on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 11:21 am

What the hell do fireworks or tree logging have to do with this POS Assange getting a million and a half for his biography?

Last edited by LC on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 11:22 am

N/A

Last edited by alice on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 11:23 am

No, just clarify.

Maybe Bradley Manning will be the next book celeb!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Anyone who has the talent for writing and feels badly for not having a best seller should take note of what makes for a great seller - a name.

Therefore, if fame and fortune is the goal, forget the great novel. Instead look for the notorious activity that will create name recognition. Then, it doesn't matter what is written, the publishers will line up. Here are a few suggestions: mistress to Senators and Congressmen, preferably presidents; high end criminal activity; extremely dangerous activity; marry a celebrity or billionaire; marry someone in the mafia; commit treason or acts similar thereto; become incarcerated in a foreign country - there are certainly more for this list that someone else may recommend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 7:30 pm

I forgot to add, publishers do not look for the great novel; they look for the great seller.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 9:00 pm

I understand all that. I am objecting to the concept of rewarding criminals for their criminal behavior. Which is what this amounts to.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 11:34 pm

Rewarding criminals for criminal behavior happens often. The criminal may go to jail and while there, he receives offers for a book worth millions. He doesn't write the book, as DK mentioned. I don't think many people would believe that GWB wrote his own book.
With a name that sells, the publisher will find a willing writer to coherently write the words.
To become famous, either do something extraordinarily good, or bad. Best selling newspapers, magazines or books are seldom about something good. People want to hear about dirt. The dirtier the person is or is perceived to be, the greater the sales.

You want to be famous? Steal something big, Get sexually involved with a public figure, or even resort to kiling. Killing the bad guys is not as salesworthy as killing the good guys. Acts or even thoughts of vegeance can be book-worthy.

Many writers try to avoid controversal subjects. Those subjects are often the ones that are attractive to the reading public, and therefore publishers.

We know who we are by the people we associate with and often by what we read about.

The above opinions are my own.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 2:50 am

Abe I'm still waiting for the fireworks from my first kiss.
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 6:24 am

"Whom god wants to destroy, he first drives insane". I read that somewhere.

I've seen a lot of authors and artists craving for fame... who have been driven insane. Some often also commit suicide.

The internet is not a very good place to be in constantly. Use it sparingly, is my motto Smile
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 7:47 am

Ahad,

$1.5 million advance for Assange's biography 950944
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 1:13 pm

LC wrote:
What the hell do fireworks or tree logging have to do with this POS Assange getting a million and a half for his biography?
My point was that we will throw money away on fireworks, and think nothing of it, but feel cheated if it is spent on something else we don't believe in. Those who buy the book may be looking for entertainment, and if they get it, they got their money's worth. If they light a firecracker and get enjoyment out of that, they got their money's worth.

I'm not sure about the tree logging thing. I know that trees need to be cut to produce books. Killing the forests is making money for someone whether it be in the Amazon or in the Rockies. Creating jobs is not always a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography   $1.5 million advance for Assange's biography Empty

Back to top Go down

$1.5 million advance for Assange's biography
Page 1 of 1