Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Earthquake

Go down 
+2
dkchristi
James
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2010-10-14

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 2:11 pm

This subject is worth following

Central Arkansas growing weary of relentless tremors
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/12/23/arkansas.earthquakes/index.html
The article reads
Quote :
More than 500 measurable earthquakes have been reported in central Arkansas since September 20, ranging in magnitude from a barely noticeable 1.8 to a very noticeable 4.0 (recorded on October 11),
In Part Four of my book, The Gods, I lay out the physics for earthquake being a form of lightning (similar to atmospheric lightning) that is contained (and flashes) within the earth
One of the criteria is a path where large flashes can find passage! The article mentions that there are salt water disposal wells in the area. Salt water conducts electricity in fine order
This is atmospheric lightning - but it gives you an idea of the power involved

/
Earthquake Lightning1
/
James
/
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 7:38 pm

And I thought all the earthquakes were in California! That picture is phenomenal! Joe took some similar pictures where he lives. If we could only harness it we'd have all the energy we need forever.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 8:13 pm

DK,

You and me both! I didn't know Arkansas had earthquakes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 11:37 pm

There was one in Germany yesterday. It was mild, but could it become a trend? I hope they place a heavy duty on earthquake imports. I'm thinking about a place to export them. A few places come to mind, but then the innocents may be harmed. I don't think collateral damage is acceptable.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 7:06 am

Abe,

Did you feef it? Earthquakes are the worst.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 11:42 am

No, didn't feel that quake. The only quake I feel is when I get angry.
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 6:41 am

The greatest tragedy associated with earthquake is not the destruction wrought upon property and humanity, but in the failure of the scientific community to be forthright about its cause.

The immediate consequence is felt in the schools where hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of students are led astray. In communities that are unprepared to issue proper building codes, and (now coming full circle) the resultant destruction wrought upon property and humanity
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 8:30 am

???????????????????
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 8:40 am

It's all in understanding the real cause of earthquake, alice

It is in my initial post.

Happy Holidays - James

/
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 9:09 am

How would that prevent them?
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 9:16 am

You can't prevent earthquake, alice but in understanding them you can build in a manner as to reduce the destruction and the suffering!

/
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 11:28 am

As Abe said well built homes withstand time and weather best. I don't think folks build cheaply becasue they want to-- more like because they have to.

Is there a conspiracy everywhere?
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 11:59 am

Building cheaply has nothing to do with it alice.

It is building correctly, according to building codes that are written to prevent earthquake damage

And time and weather is not the issue

The issue is understanding the origin of earthquake

James
/
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 7:11 am

According to my son the PhD physicist, "Lightening is caused by a charge imbalance between the clouds and the ground resulting in an electric discharge when the charge separation overcomes the ability of the atmosphere between them to resist the flow of current."
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 7:32 am

alj
Quote :
According to my son the PhD physicist, "Lightening is caused by a charge imbalance between the clouds and the ground resulting in an electric discharge when the charge separation overcomes the ability of the atmosphere between them to resist the flow of current."

James) That is true, but what you did not mention is that there are charge imbalances between the clouds themselves (hence lightning from cloud to cloud) and there are charge imbalances within the earth that result in lightning discharges in the ground that we never see.

It is these in ground discharges that (when they reach the surface) are what we call earthquake

And don't forget that all power companies use the ground as the return circuit in the electrical distribution system. You can go out and look at your own power pole and you'll see a heavy copper line going from your power box to a rod in the ground. this is the return circuit

James
/
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 8:23 am

The copper wire goes into the earth to ground the potential of the circuit. Earth has a very low dielectric coefficient and thus acts as a resistor, and does not participate in the circuit. Earthquakes occur due to stresses between tectonic plates, which is why we see it happening mostly in fault zones where plates are shifting. I would say given the incredible loss of life in recent earthquakes in China and Haiti that the most productive use of scientific effort would be to participate in the real discussion rather than trying to take shortcuts and ignoring the scientific community.. Where did you train as a physicist?

Sincerely,
Ann's son
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 8:38 am

Here is a good plan alj

Look out your window at the wires coming into your power pole. There will be two black wires (each at 120 volts) and a bare ground wire. Get someone to open your power box and you'll see that the bare incoming ground wire and all ground wires from inside your house go to the same buss.

All these ground wires are grounded to the earth, There is NO outside overhead return ground wire

Where did YOU train as a physicist?

Here is a typical system
/
Earthquake 350px-TT-earthing.svg

James
/

Last edited by James on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 8:55 am

alj wrote:
The copper wire goes into the earth to ground the potential of the circuit. Earth has a very low dielectric coefficient and thus acts as a resistor, and does not participate in the circuit. Earthquakes occur due to stresses between tectonic plates, which is why we see it happening mostly in fault zones where plates are shifting. I would say given the incredible loss of life in recent earthquakes in China and Haiti that the most productive use of scientific effort would be to participate in the real discussion rather than trying to take shortcuts and ignoring the scientific community.. Where did you train as a physicist?

Sincerely,
Ann's son

The question came from Ann's son! lol!
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 9:03 am

Here is a typical system (Notice the ground wires)

/
Earthquake 350px-TT-earthing.svg
/
J
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 9:27 am

In the UK our over head cables are AC not requiring a 'return' cable due to the polarity of each feed changing as depicted in an AC sine wave hence the term alternating current. AC current is produced from the generators at the power station. The domestic Ground lead is just that an earth which allows the current to flow safely to earth in the event of a problem with the circuit. A safety measure, if one were to disconnect these it would not stop the power station from producing power.
Every generator requires two separate cables, an automobile alternator is a good example on a smaller scale the principle is the same. Our UK system is a phased AC supply, 3 phase the overland cables carrying thousands of volts which are stepped down through transformers to domestic voltage of 240V.
I would assume the system in the US would be similar only 110-130v.
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 9:43 am

dmondeo
Quote :
an automobile alternator is a good example on a smaller scale the principle is the same.

James) You are correct - but be sure you are understanding it correctly. The frame of an automoble is the ground wire. Also recall that an automobile alternator generates AC current - but it is rectified and DC current is fed into the system

Observe the ground connections at the battery and the alternator - they go to the frame
/
Earthquake Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSd_F0xWgr3jOs7R1nl0x8fEFjhzZrKC97YDQn2eKXAsZxoXoPVQ

James
/
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 10:12 am

James,

Your sources please?

Thanks!

I am noticing a pattern here.

We are to believe you.

Why should we?
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 10:45 am

alice
Quote :
We are to believe you. Why should we?

James) because it's the wiring diagram for the automobile system that dmondeo said was
Quote :
an automobile alternator is a good example on a smaller scale the principle is the same.

NOTE he correctly said: the principle is the same

Just look at the grounding system, it is connected to the frame - just as the domestic and industrial AC systems are connected to the earth as the grounding system

James
/
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 11:54 am

James wrote:
dmondeo
Quote :

James) You are correct - but be sure you are understanding it correctly. The frame of an automoble is the ground wire. Also recall that an automobile alternator generates AC current - but it is rectified and DC current is fed into the system

Observe the ground connections at the battery and the alternator - they go to the frame
/
Earthquake Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSd_F0xWgr3jOs7R1nl0x8fEFjhzZrKC97YDQn2eKXAsZxoXoPVQ

James
/
The frame or chasis of the automobile (depending on make ) will be either positive or negative polarity in the circuit this is designed like this to economise on usage of cable. There is no ground or earth in reality just positive or negative connections although the references to ground merely refer to grounding to the chasis.Their is no earth connection to the physical earth as in a mains system. The chasis is most commonly negative although I have owned vehicles that have been wired reverse making the chasis positive.
The alternator provides an AC current rectified to DC via a built in rectifier pack. I have replaced many of these in my time.
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 1:05 pm

dmondeo
Quote :
There is no ground or earth in reality just positive or negative connections although the references to ground merely refer to grounding to the chasis

James) It is true that some auto systems ground the negative terminal - and others ground the positive. But it is not true that the ground refers to grounding the chasis! The chasis (or frame as I refered to it) is a return "wire" in every sense of the word.

The alternator is grounded internally and in turn is grounded to the chasis as a functional "ground" return "wire"

If you isolate the alternator mounting from the engine or chasis - the system will not work. In turn all electrical items in the vehicle have a single power line to it (with some exceptions) - and is then grounded as the return circuit

James
/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthquake   Earthquake Empty

Back to top Go down

Earthquake
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next