Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

EBooks Don't Count

Go down 
+4
fleamailman
dkchristi
Al Stevens
slb
8 posters
AuthorMessage
slb
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
slb

Number of posts : 926
Registration date : 2010-11-04

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 10:39 am

As part of my marketing strategy to promote the release of Night Shadows (January 15, 2011), I have contacted several colleges and universities respectfully inquiring about interest in a guest reader, or, as a professor at my alma mater suggested, putting on a workshop with some of the creative writing students, offering critique, and editing and marketing advice. The professor I spoke with thought the workshop would be a better way to relate to the students. After my book is released, this professor will receive copy for reading, then we will talk about scheduling a visit.

On my website, www.stephenbrayton.com, I wrote about a recent visit to William Penn University. The professor I met at this institution was ecstatic about having me attend a couple of classes. As I mentioned, the first visit, I offered my writing experience and how I became contracted to Echelon Press. Afterwards, the professor offered me a short story written by one of the students and the next time I attended, I offered some critique.

We both felt honored by the experience and the last communication I had with her left the door open for a future visit to a beginners' writing course next year.

Currently, I'm in contact with other institutions hoping to schedule future workshops. However, I recently received two rejections I feel I have to discuss. I won't name the colleges or the professors I contacted, but I was bothered by their reactions.

When I received rejection notices from publishers and agents, I chalked them up to inexperience, felt bad, but continued to persevere. I do not know how many more workshops or visits I may have at various colleges/universities, but I will keep trying.

The first rejection came via a phone call. The professor sounded bothered I had contacted him in the first place, annoyed he felt he had to call back and, in my opinion, didn't really want to listen to my proposal. He said there was no interest, “at least in this school.” before a quick termination of the call. Fine. One can only try so long before one realizes, ahem, it ain't gonna happen. Oh, that I would have realized this many moons ago when asking women for dates...but that's another story for another time.

The second rejection I received through email. This particular institution selects guest authors a year in advance and chooses only ones with “significant publications and who have won major awards.” Absolutely understandable. I researched some of their past guests. Names include: Edward P. Jones, Adrienne Rich, Ana Castillo, and John Edgar Wideman. I'm not going to put down any of these people even though I've never heard of them. I'm sure other writers and readers are familiar with their work. These authors have written some interesting material and, yes, have won some pretty prestigious sounding awards. So, I can understand this particular college wanting to have them and not me. I do not have numerous books published...yet, and I lack the awards...so far.

What really burnt my toast, however, was the first line of the email.

“E-books are not counted at the university level.” Excuse me? I'd like to know the reasoning behind that statement. Was this person saying e-books aren't REAL books? Yes, there are sites where any schmoe can put up his story, worthwhile or no. Buyer beware. But if you're with a publishing company that has a number of years under its belt with authors and editing and with some know how, then the unreality of e-books idea is not credible.

Or maybe he was thinking e-anything wasn't legitimate. I counter with: then nothing on the college's WEBSITE is credible either. Or the fact the message was sent by EMAIL might be a bit ironic. I didn't do any investigating, but I wonder how many of this college's guest authors have their own websites. I guess Stephen King and several other successful authors had better be told the news their works aren't acceptable, at least at the university level.

I've lowered my blood pressure since reading the email and took a few days before writing this post. And as I mentioned, I shall persevere. In the following weeks, I shall present some fascinating people, their thoughts, their books (e-books and tangible alike), and their successes. I think they will be entertaining and informative. Some have won awards for their work, whether written or otherwise, and all enjoy what they do and what they write. I think all of them offer advice, intelligence, and exhibit intestinal fortitude worthy of any guest appearance anywhere.

So, starting next week, let's have some fun and on the count of three, everybody give a raspberry to the notion e-books don't count. One, two...
Back to top Go down
http://www.stephenbrayton.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 11:30 am

I think you should forget it and move on. If rejection elicits this much repsonse from you, your future as an author will be speckled with a high density of little round purple spots. Aka sour grapes.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
slb
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
slb

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 11:51 am

Oh, I have moved on, sir. I just was surprised at the coldness of these rejections. They were at the opposite end of the spectrum from the acceptance I received from William Penn University. These were not the first rejections I've received, just a couple of the strongest. I'm cool with it now and still having fun and looking elsewhere. I just felt this warranted notice. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 1:42 pm

I found that occasionally an analysis of rejection can be helpful. Everyone has not jumped on the ebook bandwagon. Universities require their professors to publish or perish in specific literary publication types and formats. After this pressure, an ebook author does look "less than."
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 7:02 am

Quote :
What really burnt my toast, however, was the first line of the email. “E-books are not counted at the university level.”

"...well they can say what they like to you, because when you've done that ebook, you'll then dedicate it complete with quotes too to whoever rejected you now..." mentioned the goblin, adding "...chin up, if it's any consolation, think of me in my fight to be accepted too, and how many times I've got myself banned from writer's forums by not compromising my writing style here, why should I...", though perhaps too, it was unfair to use this parallel here, in that everyone knew that goblins were made of sterner stuff than humans were, after all, rejections just piled up ones winnings for that one final winthoughpoint here, saying "...the only losers are quitters..."

EBooks Don't Count 3624clown
Back to top Go down
LynnCSWC
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
LynnCSWC

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2011-06-25

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: And the classes are...   EBooks Don't Count EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 9:08 pm

Stephen Brayton,

My initial thought was...aren't some classes done online? So are they less than or not at the same standard as classes taught traditionally. I can quite understand your initial reaction. I'm sure my blood pressure would have sky rocketed.

Shocked EBooks Don't Count 143616

Good for you that you 'shook off your sandals and went into the next city' (so to speak).

Back to top Go down
https://cswcllc.weebly.com/
slb
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
slb

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 5:39 am

Thanks, Lynn, I never thought about mentioning online classes and comparing them to 'regular' classes.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 9:06 am

lol@ how both of you are running with the assumption that the prof really meant ebooks aren't valid or -even more outlandish- that he meant e-anything isn't legit. It takes a serious lack of intuitive comprehension skillz and understanding of nuanced language to think he meant that. He was being very polite, actually, and did you a favor by responding. Instead of "burning your toast," why don't you ask yourself this:

Why do you think you're qualified to offer college students writing, critiques and marketing advice?
Back to top Go down
LynnCSWC
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
LynnCSWC

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2011-06-25

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:00 am

slb wrote:
Thanks, Lynn, I never thought about mentioning online classes and comparing them to 'regular' classes.

You're welcome.
Back to top Go down
https://cswcllc.weebly.com/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:39 am

Even though it has nothing to do with the price of rice in China. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:47 am

LOL! LC, I wouldn't expect any other response from you! In fact, I was about to comment on our own academic when I scrolled down to your post!

You once told me how little patience you had; no truer word ever spoken! Academia is awash with professors who find it difficult to value a book that isn't made from dead trees. They will all retire eventually, the new breed of academics who search, sift and gather information electronically will embrace digital (by that I mean electronic not POD!) books and this whole ebook v real book debate will be past history.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:53 am

Shelagh, it's not a matter of valuing dead trees over electrons. Telling SLB he didn't want ebooks was code for saying he didn't want THAT ebook.

College profs aren't looking to bring in speakers who solicit their classes as a marketing tool. Their speakers may, indeed, benefit from the exposure (which may motivate them to come), but it's secondary. They need bona fide credentials in the field.
Back to top Go down
slb
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
slb

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 11:46 am

Very fine points, LC, and yes, marketing was one reason I contacted the colleges. However, it wouldn't have been done me any good either if I had contacted before the book was published. You asked about qualifications to speak. I think the years learning the craft, writing the book(s), striving to find a publisher, and learning marketing techniques, learning from mistakes all these years would be good qualifications. I was also hoping they might enjoy someone local. I understand where the professor is coming from though based on the guests who have been invited. I wonder, however, if an author they invited had suddenly come out with an eBook how that would be accepted. Maybe it would be, I don't know. But, you know, it's a learning process. I'm not bitter about being rejected. I lost out, but I also think they did, too. I'll move on, learn from my mistakes, and strive to do better next time. Maybe, somewhere down the road, I'll get an invitation I wouldn't have thought I'd get. Maybe not from this college, but from elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Stephen,
you make some valid points. Trying to do a presentation at a university without the qualifications they normally require, is a tough thing to do. There are always exceptions.
I don't have a PhD, however I was asked to give a presentation at Penn State University when I lived in State College, Pa. They wanted someone with experience in industry to give a talk. Classroom theory is often without practical application or feedback. The presentation was well received. More importantly the question and answer session was a hit.

Your approach to the unviersity should fit their agenda. If it is a writing class, practical experience in getting published as well as current trends in the publishing industry could be a good theme.
Make sure you do your homework. Those college kids are smart.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Quote :
I think the years learning the craft, writing the book(s), striving to
find a publisher, and learning marketing techniques, learning from
mistakes all these years would be good qualifications.

Capped off with a commercial book contract (the kind that kids in college writing classes aspire to) and a successful book, yes. Alone, no.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

EBooks Don't Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBooks Don't Count   EBooks Don't Count Empty

Back to top Go down

EBooks Don't Count
Page 1 of 1