Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Photoshop experts, help!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Photoshop experts, help! Empty
PostSubject: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 5:06 pm

I can't figure this out. I want to non-destructively edit images. I'm told to put the edits on a different layer. Thing is, whenever I add a new layer, nothing is on it, so I can't select or use the spot healer or other things. The adjustment layers seem to be just about color adjustment.

How do I set up an adjustment layer that will let me do anything? Is there such a thing? If not, how do I use, say, the healing brush on a layer OTHER than the background layer or a duplicate of the background layer?
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 5:47 pm

I'm not an expert, but I've used it a lot.

I don't understand what you mean when you say you "want to non-destructively edit images."

How does one edit something without changing it? Can you be more specific about what you are trying to do? Then maybe I can figure out how to do it.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 5:50 pm

The instructor and the text use the terms destructive and non-destructive editing. Destructive editing is changing the original image. Non-destructive editing is putting each change on a different layer so that you can remove that change later, if you want, without disturbing anything else, and the original (which is always the background layer) remains untouched.

She encourages non-destructive editing because she says it's more time-efficient when you have to go back and change specific things due to the client not liking what you submitted.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Okay, I understand now. Here's how I'd do it.

1. Start with a layer that has the original image.
  2. Duplicate that layer and put the new one over the first.
  3. Lock the new layer to the old so that when one moves, they both move.
  4. Make your edits to the topmost layer.
  5. For successive edits, duplicate the topmost layer and repeat steps 2,3, and 4.
  6. When you want to back away from an edit, delete the topmost layer.

There might be a better way, but this way works.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Ok, Al, thanks, I will try that! Will probably be back with more questions. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 2:06 am

Try this:

1. Paste in background image and resize to either fill the area or leave a border (doesn't need to be white -- I use a background colour that blends in with the background image).

2. Add layers of text and images that can be resized and moved around at will (not locked down).

3. If layers overlap, use Layer --> Arrange --> Bring to front, Send to back ...

4. Save the image in photoshop format.

This image is your template and can be changed anytime.

If you want to lock down layers, make a copy of the template and lock down the layers on the copy leaving the template unchanged.

Now, you can save this as a jpeg image for your clients.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 7:35 am

Shelagh wrote:
4. Save the image in photoshop format.
This image is your template and can be changed anytime.

You cannot, however, undo previous image edits when you reload the photoshop file in a new session. They become permanent upon save.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 10:00 am

If you save the file without locking anything down, when you reload, you can edit text layers, move them around, change fonts and font colour. You can re-size image layers, edit them and make copies of them as new files. Psd files are saved exactly as you left them.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 10:51 am

Quote :
Paste in background image and resize to either fill the area or leave a border (doesn't need to be white -- I use a background colour that blends in with the background image).

You lost me here -am not that advanced yet.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 11:51 am

1. Start by clicking New...

2. Choose size of file.

3. Select background colour. (you can do this before you click "New" and then select the background colour option when you set the width and height.)

4. Open an image file that you want to use as background.

5. Select part of the image you want to use as background. If using all of it, click (hold down mouse) and drag it across.

6. Resize the background to fill the area as much or as little as you want.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Shelagh wrote:
If you save the file without locking anything down, when you reload, you can edit text layers, move them around, change fonts and font colour. You can re-size image layers, edit them and make copies of them as new files. Psd files are saved exactly as you left them.
Right. But what you cannot do is undo an image edit made with, for example, the Burn tool.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

One of the problems is the ambiguous way that Photoshop uses the term "image." It is used interchangeably to refer to the complete composition (as in the Image menu) and individual graphical images added as layers, which is the way everybody else uses the term.

I think that ambiguity is what is causing our misunderstanding of LC's question.

She refers to the "spot healer" and I think she is referring to the "healing brush tool," which you use, among other uses, to "heal" blemishes in a photograph. When you use the tool and then save the photoshop file, the history of those changes is erased, and you cannot undo them in a subsequent session.

Given all that, I don't believe your solution addresses LC's specific problem.

Last edited by Al Stevens on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 3:12 pm

You are quite right, Al, my suggestions were alternatives. If you keep adding layers the way you suggested, you can peel off those layers. I was suggesting a simpler way of keeping the basic layers as a template and generating any number of copies. Instead of having a stack of layers:

Photoshop experts, help! Six-layer_stack-up

You have a number of jpeg images generated from a template:

Photoshop experts, help! Photoshop_actions___101_by_night_fate
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Yes, I meant the healing brush tool. I'm also having trouble with the pen, the option where you click two points and a line forms between them. Why is it that I can get it to do that beautifully sometimes, and other times it won't work at all?

Shelagh, thx for the explanation, even if it wasn't what I immediately needed, I'll go through the steps you outlined, as it's all new, useful stuff to me.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 7:54 pm

I've not used the pen and those tools much. I find Photoshop's graphical image editing tools to be below par although others get stunning results with them.

I edit graphical images in other programs and import the images into Photoshop through the clipboard.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Al, what are those other programs you use? Illustrator?
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 9:58 pm

I use Paint Shop Pro. For simple edits I use Windows Paint.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 12:04 pm

'Nother question...

I know that if I shift/click in the layer panel, all layers get selected. But how do I select just a few of them, so that I can move the graphics on them together without disturbing the rest of the piece?
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 2:00 pm

1. Go to the Layers pane.
  2. Select one of the layers in the group you want to control.
  3. To the left of the layer selection is a little paintbrush icon.
  4. That icon is blank in all the other layers.
  5. Click the blank icon in another layer.
  6. It gets what looks like a paperclip icon.
  7. You have now clipped the two layers together.
  8. When you move one of them, they both move, and so on.
  9. Click other layers' icons to have them join the group.
  10. Click again to clear the clip.

My terminology might not be correct vis a vis the paperclip.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Do you mean the layers panel? Here's a screenshot. I don't see a paintbrush, but there's a lock. Same thing? Or am I looking in the wrong place? This is CS5, btw.

Photoshop experts, help! Screenshot
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Yes, that's the place. The square framed icon to the left of each layer name is the one I'm speaking of. I have Photoshop 7.0. On that, the leftmost icon has an eyeball icon. If you click it to clear the icon, it makes the icon not visible. Play with it and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 6:18 pm

The eyeball on this version just means the layer is visible. When you click it, the eyeball is removed and the layer is invisible. Oh well, I'll keep fiddling with it.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 6:45 pm

That's the same way mine works. Click to the right of the eyeball and see what happens. Use the Move tool after you do that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photoshop experts, help!   Photoshop experts, help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Photoshop experts, help!
Page 1 of 1