Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Marta Stephens

Marta Stephens

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website Empty
PostSubject: Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website   Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 12:29 pm

This is the second in a set of six articles based on the things I learned during my first year as a published author. The articles will outline a few of the things authors should consider in order to gain an Internet presence. I have a background in public relations and several years experience in project management and promotions in higher education. My experience has been in the area of campaign development, press releases, advertisement, graphic design, and event planning. Marketing my book took me into unknown territory, but being one who loves a challenge and is something of a risk taker, I embraced the opportunity. But even I had to admit that as my debut novel SILENCED CRY was about to be released in April 2007, I was a bit apprehensive. My hope is that in sharing my experiences with you, you’ll find some useful solutions to your marketing questions.

The Author’s Website

An average visit to a web page is 60 seconds or less. That’s your competition; time and why it is so critical to make sure that your site, particularly your home page, is visually pleasing and easy to navigate. Your website is your persona to the world. It should reflect your writing style, your genre, and carry a consistent theme throughout each page. It should be informative and entertaining. All the links must work and each page should have a link that navigates back to each of the other pages especially the home page.

The first thing to consider is your domain name. It can be purchased ahead of time to make sure you are able to secure the name you want. Purchase a domain name that identifies you. Make it short and easy to remember and identifiable.

Web design: Websites don’t have to cost a lot of money; in fact there are several free programs available. Unfortunately, these have limited capabilities but they can be just as effective in drawing in attention if done correctly. If you don’t feel comfortable developing your site, it’s worth the money to have someone help or do it for you. Check with your local college or university. Students studying web design are on top of the latest techniques and would welcome the experience and extra cash and it will be easy on the pocketbook.

You’ll want a site that looks clean and professional. Consider the layout. Will you display your menu across the top or on either margin? How many columns will you require? Whatever style you choose, you must use it throughout the site for visual consistency. Use only two easy to read fonts such as Arial, Times New Roman, or Verdana. Use the same font throughout the site for your text. The second font can be used for all the page titles and menu options.

Select an appropriate color scheme that reflects your writing. Develop a theme and run it through the entire site. Don’t use any flashing or distracting images/borders/ or loud music that will divert the visitor’s attention from your writing. Nothing will turn viewers away faster than a site that is hard on the eyes and ears. Select the pictures you plan to use on your site and make sure they’re saved as JPGs.

Once you have decided on the layout and scheme, you’re ready to enter the information and start building your website. What should you include? A good start will include your book cover, author photo, bio, excerpt, reviews, events, book trailer, and reader comments.

Choosing a server. The selection is endless and their services vary as much as the costs. Again, if you don’t know what to purchase, ask someone you trust to help you. Start with an economy plan that allows you to secure the site and your domain name for a year or two. Initially you won’t need the amount of space the larger options offer. You’ll want to purchase the least expensive offer available to track traffic to your site. Take advantage of every feature your server offers to help keep your site visible. It is feasible to obtain all the basis start up services for under $100.

Once you have built and launched the site, you need to draw readers to it. Insert as many tags (key words) as possible within the code section of your site and install a web crawler to make your site accessible on search engines such as Google. Include your URL on EVERYTHING, e-mail signature lines, bookmarks, letterhead, blog signatures, articles, bios, flyers, post cards, etc. Cross promote your site. Set up a section on your site to list other authors’ links in return for them listing your link on theirs. Update your site and blog on a regular basis--at least once or twice a week. The more the better.

My server allows me to generate all types of reports. One report shows me a list of "referrals." This indicates to me where readers are finding the link to my website. Let's say if you click on my website from ABC authors’ forum, the report will show the name of that forum. Why's that important? Because it shows which sites are active and that its members are interested. Therefore, those are the sites in which I’m going to continue to promote my work.

To give you an idea of the types of reports available, my stats from the day I launched my site on March 12, 2007 through December 31, 2007 are:

8,490 visitors
6,768 unique visitors (new)
15,992 pages viewed
29,111 hits
Viewed from 82 countries
Home page viewed 3,173 times, average time 00:49, 1.35% of stay

Have fun designing your website, but remember it’s your first step toward obtaining an Internet presence. Get them there and get them to stay!

The next article: Book Trailers

Marta Stephens is a crime/mystery author of SILENCED CRY
www.martastephens-author.com

To view other articles, please visit my website and look in the link titled, "Author to Author."
Back to top Go down
http://www.martastephens-author.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website   Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Very good information, Marta. Thank you for posting it here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website   Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 9:23 am

I use Google Analytics for my reports... it helps your page get crawled and indexed faster if Google has to go there anyway to generate reports.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website   Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 3:36 pm

Great Info! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website   Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 7:56 pm

Actually there are limits to the amount of keywords you can use, and if you use keywords that don't match your content search engines will downgrade your ranking.

You don't install a web crawler on your page. They are browsing bots from the search engines. The interaction between your site and those crawlers is highly complex and professionals who specialize in SEO (search engine optimization) continually change the ways of dealing with them.

You HAVE to get a domain before hosting your own site, actually. Domain registrars have search boxes that allow you to try names until you find one that is available, then you pay them by the year.
If you are planning on having your own site in the future, you should consider reserving your domain now. So it won't get taken and because search engines like older domains. Also, if you register it with the big directories like Google and Yahoo (which you jolly well should) it takes months for the listing to become active.

The most effective way to get eyeballs to your site is through links, especially for book sties. (You know what your chances of coming up in the first 10000 for "romance novels" is?)
In addition to directly bringing people to your site (like the URL's posted in this forum) links create a network of connectedness that lights you up to search engives. IF the links are from sites whose content is similar or appropriate to yours. Placing your URL on a bunch of junk directories is a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website   Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website Empty

Back to top Go down

Developing an Internet Presence: The Author’s Website
Page 1 of 1