Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Holy grail of crime prevention

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Holy grail of crime prevention Empty
PostSubject: Holy grail of crime prevention   Holy grail of crime prevention EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 2:18 am

I had my bicycle stolen a couple of months ago. I usually put two locks on it. Just this one night I was in a rush and I forgot to put both locks on and left it parked in a quiet street outside my friends house and the next morning it was gone.

Seriously though I believe any society requires itself to be "self policing" where everyone watches everyone else.
That seems to be the trend today anyway, and it's no different to how things will have to be in the future.

I thought I'd add this as something to think about:

http://firstarktoalphacentauri.wikia.com/wiki/Wristcom

Do you think neighborhood watch schemes are working where you are? What manner of criminal things have happened in your neighborhood lately and how do you feel about them?

Last edited by A Ahad on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Holy grail of crime prevention   Holy grail of crime prevention EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 4:43 am

Appalling, Ahad, I wish you lived in my neighborhood. People ask before they remove an item from our garbage can.

Across town my mother-in-law has people trying to steal her car.

What benefit has this brought you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Holy grail of crime prevention   Holy grail of crime prevention EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 7:23 am

I realised that we are still in the age of horse drawn carriages when it comes to crime elimination in urban neighborhoods...

"To every adversity, there is a benefit" - Abe F. March

Last edited by A Ahad on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Holy grail of crime prevention   Holy grail of crime prevention EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 7:51 am

Ahad,
when things happen it often takes a long time to realize a benefit. Learning from adversity is just one.

Theft of any kind is unacceptable. I remember a guy in White Plains New York that had his car stolen twice. He needed some outlet for his anger, so he got a car from a junk yard and placed it in his front yard. On it he placed a sign that read, "For Theft". Got lots of attention, but no takers.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Holy grail of crime prevention   Holy grail of crime prevention EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 8:27 am

You can't keep a bike on my daughter's university campus. Theft of bikes, and bike accessories, is rampant. She learned that fast when her expensive bike was stolen from a bike rack her freshman year. This year, her baskets, which had been screwed to a second, cheaper, bike, were stolen (a $100 accessory), along with the whole back rack. We replaced the baskets, and this time inverted the screws and tack welded them to the bike. So far they're still there.

You really have to take defensive measures with everything, even on a college campus.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Holy grail of crime prevention   Holy grail of crime prevention EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 8:31 am

Especially on a campus. That's the number one area for bike thefts.
One thing I love about living on a small island...nobody can really steal bikes. They couldn't drive it here without somebody seeing it and if they take it on the ferry it'd be noticed and the ferry guys would know their name.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holy grail of crime prevention   Holy grail of crime prevention Empty

Back to top Go down

Holy grail of crime prevention
Page 1 of 1