Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Problem encountered

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
luigie
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
luigie

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Problem encountered Empty
PostSubject: Problem encountered   Problem encountered EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 1:47 am

Hi
In my book there is a rape scene.....
My daughter says she won't be able to let her chilren read the book because of this. There are also a couple of other 'love' scenes.
I do not want to omit the scene but rape is always going to be ugly.
Do you think that I should do a limited edition (childrens) version?
I'll place an excerpt in the Work-in-progress forum for comment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tudor.vc/tudor/harritudur.html
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Problem encountered   Problem encountered EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 2:35 am

Did your daughter allow her children to watch Braveheart? Is reading a book different to watching a film?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
luigie
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
luigie

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Problem encountered   Problem encountered EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 3:58 am

Hi
Good question!
But I suppose being written by 'gramps' is somehow different. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.tudor.vc/tudor/harritudur.html
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: Problem encountered   Problem encountered EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:24 am

Yes, but the book will go on, as they say. The children will grow up.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Problem encountered   Problem encountered EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 5:26 am

Shelagh's right. Kids know more than the parents think they do.
Anything you try to hide they will seek out. In this case, I think they would consider Gramps rather cool.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: Problem encountered   Problem encountered EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 6:16 am

The story is as the story is. I wouldn't change it just to suit people who might not like it or be ready to read it.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Problem encountered   Problem encountered EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 6:41 am

Luigie,
Here is a short from one of my books, "Naked in West Upton." The whole town is naked. ( you would have to read the book to understand why.)

Josh is a married man. This is a sex scene. In it I use deer, and weather to show the act.

Joshua held the drawings up to the dusty window, examining each separately. Miss Quigley put her arm across Joshuas shoulder and pointed to the two red symbols. He could feel the softness of her body on his back.
“The writing may be Celtic,” she said softly, “if so, this represent the signs for Lords wealth.”
She pressed closer, “And that little thing there, means cursed.”
They both turned as the door creaked open.
“It does that all the time,” said Josh. “This is and old building.”
They stood facing each other in silence...each feeling the heat of the other.
Gates stood with the old timers on the steps of Woody’s drug store. Across the street a large owl perched on the steeple of the church watched them.
“That’s strange,” said one of the old timers, with a warning in his tone, “never saw an owl sitting exposed like that in broad daylight before.”
“Ah,” said Gates, “he’s just old like you. Probably can’t even see.” With a dismiss of his hand he turned and went into the drug store. The old timers stood watching, waiting for something to happen. In the distance dark clouds slowly crawled over the low lying hills filling the valley to the north. By noon the sky was gray. A light rain softly fell, wetting the trees and the ground. The deer mated, losing all sense of danger, lost in their natural passion. A blinding flash of lighting filled the valley, quickly followed by a thunderous vibrating explosion. The deer scattered into the darkness of the thick forest, as if hiding from something they had done. The owl dived from the steeple, spread its thick wings and flew toward the old shoe factory. The old timers watched until it faded into the rain. Miss Quigley slowly walked back to the Library. She carried her hat and sandals. The feel of the rain felt good on her body. She smiled, it was a beautiful day. Josh turned as the door again swung open, than closed with a bang.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem encountered   Problem encountered Empty

Back to top Go down

Problem encountered
Page 1 of 1