Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Where In The World Have You Been

Go down 
+2
alice
Betty Fasig
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Where In The World Have You Been Empty
PostSubject: Where In The World Have You Been   Where In The World Have You Been EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 4:41 pm

This is an old topic posted by Carol Troestler on the PA message board when it was a wonderful place to post. I decided to look up old post there, just bring them back up with a reply as if they were yesterday. I consider it a way to honor some of those lovely conversations.

Where In The World Have You Been Palogo
Welcome to PublishAmerica's Author Message Board! Here PublishAmerica authors can voice your questions or comments. You must Register BEFORE posting messages. This board is moderated by PublishAmerica personnel only. We will address any issues or questions sent to us by email to our support team.

Disclaimer: Posting on this message board indicates agreement to allow PublishAmerica to use the posted text for marketing or other purposes, at its discretion.

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_mini_faqFAQ Where In The World Have You Been Icon_mini_searchSearch
Where In The World Have You Been Icon_mini_profileProfile Where In The World Have You Been Icon_mini_loginLog out [ Betty Fasig ]

View Old Public Message Board

Where in the world have you been?
Goto page 1, 2Next

Where In The World Have You Been PostWhere In The World Have You Been ReplyPublishAmerica Forum Index -> Author's Lounge

AuthorMessage

View previous topic :: View next topic
CTroestler

Where In The World Have You Been 594145c7bcf604977

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:20 pm Post subject: Where in the world have you been?Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

I told a friend the other day that my mother told me she wanted to go around the world, and I had gone around the world with my two daughters and husband. My husband was an airline pilot with wonderful travel privileges so we traveled quite a lot.

My husband and daughter planned the trip: England, India, Nepal, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, home.

I thought they were crazy. It was fascinating.

What interesting places have you visited? It doesn't matter if it is half way around the world or just down the road. A little description would be nice. It is vacation season, but with gas prices as they are, we might only be able to relive the past adventures.

Love, Carol
ctroestl@merr.com

Where In The World Have You Been Spacer
D. K. Christi

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:54 pm Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

Arirang: The Bamboo Connection is a bit of a grand tour of six continents with a list too long to name but including Iraq, Iran, Bahrain, Egypt, Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Finland, Iceland, Turkey, Italy, Greece, Germany, Switzerland, England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Monaco, Venezuela, Mexico, Commonwealth of the Bahamas, British Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, Leewards, Windwards, Martinique, Turks and Caicos and more. In the U.S., Michigan, Idaho, Washington, D. C., New York, Florida, Texas, Oregon, Washington, California, Nevada and more. Each location is described with the sights, sounds and aromas. The most exotic and culturally challenging are those locations in Asia; yet, the beauty of ancient cultures and the contrasts between palaces and simple farms is breathtaking. In Korea, talented people receive pensions as \"national treasures.\" Istanbul, Turkey is such an East/West crossroads of diverse cultures with markets of all worlds that it is one my favorites. Of course, the Greek Isles are as romantic as Tuscany in Italy; and I recommend both. For sailing, I loved the British Virgin Islands, eight days of tacking from island to island and one day's broad reach on the return in protected seas with sometimes a 25 knot wind. Beaches in Florida when you can find a few of the still untouched are still the most beautiful with their powder white crushed shells and long shallows into the sunset. Idaho is the unsung gem of the West in my opinion. Wide open spaces on the highway to majestic mountains and streams and deserts with primitive hiking and camping that takes one back to the wild west. In Boise, you can play golf in the spring and drive up the mountain for an evening ski session.

There are many more tidbits of travel highlights found in Arirang: the Bamboo Connection. Some read it for the romance, some for the adventure, some for the travel. Enjoy all three.

jwoods

Where In The World Have You Been 13219431b3d19e61e2

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:55 pm Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

I place map pins in my old paper globe to show my travels, which now includes multiple stops in some 70-odd countries on six continents, and forty-nine of the U.S states. Never made it to North Dakota. Most recently, late last year, my South pacific cruise took me to Hawaii, Samoa, Fiji, New Zealand and Australia. In 2000, I circumnavigated South America, and have covered so much ground in the southern African countries I feel like a native. Next year I'll touch on Newfoundland, Greenland and Iceland before heading back to the Nordic countries and Russia once again.

Jim Woods
www.ultrasw.com/jwoods

Stephanie Johnson

Where In The World Have You Been 259504710349a01f57

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:13 pm Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

I have never been out of the country, but I love to go on road trips (planes are not my thing!)
I have been to West Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida several times each. When I was in high school, I visited Washington, DC. I have also driven to New Orleans, Detroit, and Des Moines--all for Junior Olympics. My younger one competed in tumbling for several years. I went on the mother of all road trips last year with my aunt when we drove all the way to Glacier National Park and back to Indiana. We stopped everywhere along the way too, Badlands, Yellowstone, Black Hills, Pipestone, you name it. That was an awsome trip.

My favorite trips are when I can see things that are very old. For cities, my favoriites were New Orleans and Savannah. For my extreme sports fix, ACE Adventure center in West Virginia is the best--rafting, caving, hiking, horseback riding...so much to do! And I loved the entire trip out west, but I found South Dakota somewhat unsettling. There was too much desolation there! Creepy...

This weekend me and a bunch of friends are going camping at a lake locally. In July I am taking a weeks vacation to the Ozarks and Branson. Never been there so it should be interesting. I love new places!
www.myspace.com/stephrocks75

Betty Fasig

Where In The World Have You Been 32164282b24e00d4f

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:52 pm Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

Dear Carol,
I have been to places like Sedona, the Grand Canyon, the island of Marathon, San Diego and Fort Benning Geogia, but those were not my favorite memories of places that I have been.

I have been to the meadow.

My grands were small and had watched Bambi. They came to visit. I wanted to show them the woods all around. The woods freightened them a little because of the quiet. They were so used to noise. Noise from traffic, televisions, radios, people talking...a constant din of noise that they were so used to that the silence seemed a little eerie.

We walked down the road and crossed the ditch into the trees. I know the sound of trees, the whispering hush and the rustle of the leaves that have fallen long ago. All these sounds seemed mysterious and a little ominous to my little grands of five years old. The trees were so very tall. Birds flushed and flew. I talked my cheerful banter and pointed out different flowers and strange liverworts along the creek and insects that they will never forget. Where In The World Have You Been Icon_eek

I really think they wished that their mama was there!

How wonderful it was that at the peak of nervous wonder (I think they were a little frighted Where In The World Have You Been Icon_biggrin ) the woods opened out into a clearing of grass and wildflowers.

MY grandchildren rushed out just like Bambi and shouted, \"The Meadow!\"

I will never forget that meadow. I do not think they will either.

Love,
Betty

alj

Where In The World Have You Been 7950470410ea89f87

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:22 pm Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

I don't travel as much as I once did. One of the pleasurable memories of my now defunct marriage (along with the three children it produced) was the places we went. I've spent time in Europe and Asia, as well as the US and Mexico.

The place that is striking me right now is a place that may no longer exist. It was first made famous by the early Gemini astronauts, who considered it their ideal \"getaway\" place. My husband and I discovered it in 1964, and several times over the next ten years or more, managed to get back on a nearly annual basis by introducing it to clients and prospective clients for my husband's business.

It was called Las Brisas, and your first view of it, after leaving the Acapulco airport, would be as you rounded the mountain road into your first view of Acapulco Bay. Looking up the mountain from the road, you could see the little, individual pink and white casitas, which dotted their way up to the mountain top and it's gigantic white cross. Just below that mountaintop chapel was a splendid tennis court, carved literally from the mountainside, and an open air, mountaintop clubhouse, where top quality musicians played Latin dance music and rhythms into the night. Looking down the mountain from the same roadside stop, you could catch glimpses of the larger villas and villitas along the narrow road that wound down to the mountain resort's private beach club, La Concha. It was in one of those villas that Henry Kissinger and his bride spent their honeymoon. Most of the publicity pictures were taken at La Concha. We did not stay at Las Brisas that trip, but remembered, and a couple of years later, stayed there for the first time. Our little casita had its own private swimming pool, and each morning as the sun was coming up, I would leave the casita, and find, on the patio, a pot of steaming coffee, a basket of hot fresh breads and rolls, and a bowl of sliced tropical fruits. The little pool, just beyond that patio, was always filled with fresh hibiscus blossoms. For the whole of out stay, we were provided with a little pink and white striped jeep, which we would use to ride throughout Acapulco during the morning. During the afternoon, we would drive down to La Concha, and swim in the very large seawater pool, and sip margaritas brought to our lounge chairs by a traveling bar attached to the back of one of those pink and white jeeps. Some afternoons, we would drive up the mountain to the tennis courts, and play and see an unbelievable view of the entire bay. At night, we could either go down to the clubs and restaurants in the main part of the city, or drive back up to the mountaintop and dance to the samba, rumba, Cha-cha-cha and tango rhythms at the mountaintop clubhouse.

It was, without any doubt, the most idyllic place I recall ever being. I remember the words of one of the clients we took with us during the early 70's: \"I've died and gone to Heaven!\" He kept saying it over and over again throughout our stay.

Good times.

Ann

alj

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:24 pm Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

OK, Betty,

We cross-posted, and reading your post, I find your meadow to be as idyllic as that mountain resort in Acapulco. Simple things are so often the best!

Ann

Bob Buckholz

Where In The World Have You Been 14046fbf18c117d5

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:34 pm Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

Fortunately for me, our government provided much of my travels. I have been lucky enough to go to many countries after being stationed in Europe for eight years. I have also been to the orient and enjoyed the cusine of Monkey brains and Kimshee-(sp).
I have visited all 50 states and am proud of that fact.

Being all over the world I have found one thing, whatever other countries have, we have right here in America. From deserts to mountains, to sprawling plains and inviting rolling hills. Thousands of lakes, two wonderful oceans and a hell of a gulf.
We have buildings that are the envy of the architectural world, art that inspires all kinds of awe, and people that are every kind of ethnic background you can think of.

I love to travel, plane, bus, train, or car, it is a wonderful and enlightning experience. Where In The World Have You Been Icon_biggrin
Chased Into Reality

www.bobbuckholz.com

CTroestler

Where In The World Have You Been 594145c7bcf604977

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:42 pm Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

These responses are all great: from meadows to far off lands.

I love reading them and hope you keep them coming.

Carol
ctroestl@merr.com

alj

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:51 pm Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

D. K. Christi wrote:
For sailing, I loved the British Virgin Islands, eight days of tacking from island to island and one day's broad reach on the return in protected seas with sometimes a 25 knot wind.

Dianne,

I remember sailing for a day on a converted 12-meter out of Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda, and spending another day of that trip at \"the baths.\" It was the last vacation we took together, and kept us married another whole year!!

Ann

Brew

Where In The World Have You Been 232074808223da305e

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:58 pm Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

I have never been out of the USA, and only once north of the Mason-Dixon line; but I have seen quite a bit of the rest - as far west as Yellowstone and the stupendous Rockies, all over Texas, and just about all of the Atlantic coast from Florida to Dauphin Island off the Mobile shore.

What I love to do is travel by car with no deadline to the destination, and stop frequently to see the sights in-between. For example, on the trip to Yellowstone, I stopped at Cheyenne, Wyoming because there was some event going on. Turned out to be \"Wild West Days\" where working cowboys gather for a very real rodeo. Stayed there for two days.

When I got to Yellowstone and saw all the tourist stuff, I heard about the hiking trail in what they called \"North Country\". I loaded up my backpack with trail food and a small pup tent and headed out, all alone with only the instructions to the others in my group to \"pick me back up here in a week\". No one told me that you are supposed to tell the Park Rangers where you are, and when you plan on returning.

That was one of the most memorable times of my life. A soul-healing experience.

CAKelly

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:40 am Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

Over several years, we took cruises all over the Caribbean islands from The Bahamas down to Trinidad/Tobago - into the Panama Canal and all around the Caymans, everywhere but Cuba and a couple small islands. Was even on the island that later suffered the severe volcanic situation. Grenada was another one and was sooooo sad when Hurricanes hit and destroyed so much there... as well as some of the other islands we had toured. Stayed a week in the Dominican Republic (not to Haiti) and enjoyed that - especially their fabulous coffee. Snorkeling near many of the islands was also a treat.

Mexico all-inclusives in the Cancun area and Puerta Vallarta and went on numerous inland tours. Have enjoyed seeing the ancient ruins a lot and talking to some very interesting historians and yes even some archeologists who were in the process of opening up the most ancient area of CoBa (pronounced KO baaaa).

As for the USA states - several mostly middle of USA, FL, AK and some of the western states.

They all have created beautiful memories, provided terrific pictures to aid in recalling those trips and of course the delight of doing sketches in many places.

Memories! Where In The World Have You Been Icon_smile

C A Kelly
\"Orfies\"
www.orfies.com

Dick Stodghill

Where In The World Have You Been 259264525551e994f4

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:05 pm Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

I've been to Knockemstiff, Ohio and Gnaw Bone, Indiana. I've been to Kokomo, Keokuk, Dubuque, Tucumcari and Albuquerque.
Like Bob Buchholz, the government sent me on trips. Destinations included France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany. The problem was, people were shooting at me when I got to those fine places.

I have been to forty-four states and most of the countries of Western Europe. My favorites? Fontaine l'Eveque in Belgium, Bayeaux in France, London and New York City.

Betty Fasig

Where In The World Have You Been 32164282b24e00d4f

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:50 pm Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

I have to envy all you whom have seen so many places. I am a little like Ho Chi, the pig in the Wooffer stories. I would like to see the world!

I love caverns and caves and canyons. I remember Carlsbad Caverns and the blind salamanders, the other world feeling of it.

When I lived in Arizona, we would go out into the desert and come across an old abandoned mine. One was a manganese mine. We decended by a rotten old ladder and shone the flashlight all around the sparkling walls of that cave. Blackness is what is under this earth's mantle. Without a light, it is so black but with a light it is a wall of stars.

I am sure that in this day and time those places are boarded up.

Somewhere in my past, problably when the earth was still in the oozing and bubbling state of evolution, I was, perhaps, a rock in a small stream, washed and polished and drifting with the water until I was part of the canyon walls. The oldness of the earth.

Odd imaginings.

I have been to Yellowstone and to Canada. Lake Louise. Paddled a canoe there on the most beautiful cold water with mountains covered in ice all around and fog drifting halfway up the trees.

I have slid down a glacier in Montana.

Frozen my feet in Flagstaff, Arizona even with fur lined boots.

I have been to Rocky Point, Mexico and fished for sailfish with George Anderson on a boat that he built himself. Read Hemingway on the bow and romanticed about The Sun Also Rises. He and Barbara were my foster parents. I remember the shower was outside and full of big red ants. The children sold shells on the beach. I still have them. One is a big yellow scallop, complete except for animal. It stands on my printer table.

Thanks for the smiles, Carol.
Love,
Betty

James Elders

Where In The World Have You Been 240245492920a27f2

Where In The World Have You Been Icon_minipostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:05 am Post subject: Where In The World Have You Been Icon_quote

Like a few others on these boards, I traveled the world via the US Government and on the taxpayer’s bill. I have been on every continent and visited or worked in over 80 countries, except Antarctica (Why in hell would anyone want to go there?). I especially would like to thank all you taxpayers for financing those two lovely and excitement-filled trips to Vietnam and a few incursions into Cambodia and Laos. Vietnam is a beautiful country, but the beauty was over-shadowed by the prospect of not coming back alive. My ten years in Europe chasing Eastern Block agents was also fun-filled, except for one little incident when some Slovakian commie managed to tag my rib cage with a bullet from his .32 caliber pistol. Thanks to my West German partner, he won’t be doing that anymore. I have also been to every state in this Union, even Cobbtown, Georgia. I think I was the only person there other than a couple of moonshiners and some guy whose truck was stuck the sand on Main Street, which was unpaved and the only street that could be identified as having been previously navigated by anything resembling homo-erectus. I enjoyed seeing the Grand Canyon, but it made me feel insignificant. New York City sucks; it is much like Vietnam but without trees, except for that crime-riden place they call Central Park. There is no place on earth as beautiful and peaceful as the moss-laden live oak trees of coastal Georgia. Y’all come on down and visit for a spell, y’heah. But don’t wear those multi-colored shorts and sandals with argyle socks or you will be immediately spotted as a Yankee spy.

Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First

Where In The World Have You Been PostWhere In The World Have You Been ReplyPublishAmerica Forum Index -> Author's LoungeAll times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2Next
Page 1 of 2

Watch this topic for replies

Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Where In The World Have You Been   Where In The World Have You Been EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 5:58 pm

lol!

Last edited by alice on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Where In The World Have You Been   Where In The World Have You Been EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 6:50 pm

We haven't changed much, have we. It was especially fun reading Dick's post.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Where In The World Have You Been   Where In The World Have You Been EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 7:01 pm

As I reread Dick's post and his mention of Knockemstiff, Ohio, I wonder why I didn't ask him if he had ever been to Cut'n'Shoot, Texas

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Where In The World Have You Been   Where In The World Have You Been EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 7:30 pm

Apparently Las Brisas does still exist:

http://www.peaktravel.com/images/LasBrisasAcapulcoRoom.jpg

http://bookit.com/mexico/acapulco/hotels/las-brisas-acapulco/?GCID=C30626x110-Acapulco&adid=Ps_1

But, Betty, just today I ran across some pictures of the old Shangri-La swamp-land park we discussed a few weeks ago on this board. I will see if I can scan and post one. I still love your swamps and meadows.

Ann
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Where In The World Have You Been   Where In The World Have You Been EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 11:53 pm

It would be nice if James Elders came over here, has anyone ever invited him?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Where In The World Have You Been   Where In The World Have You Been EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 12:50 am

James Elders here?Where In The World Have You Been Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Where In The World Have You Been   Where In The World Have You Been EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 1:12 am

My feet have trodden the earth in more than 30 countries. I have seen the sun rise over the Persian Gulf and the sun set in the Canadian Rockies. I have sunbathed by the Mediterranean, roasted in Riyadh and dined in Damascus. I was beggar-beseeched in Baghdad, shortchanged in Saudia and saw bloodshed in Beirut.

I have been called Mister, Monsieur, Herr, Sayyidi, Kirios, Signor, Sir and other names. I have eaten with Bedouins and dined with Royalty. I have been rich and I have been poor.

In the USA, I resided and worked in:
Pennsylvania, Illinois, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maryland & Georgia.
I traveled to every other state, mostly on business, except for: Hawaii.

In Canada, I resided and worked in:
Ontario and Alberta.
I traveled to and/or through all the other provinces except for: Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and the Northwest Territories.

In Europe, I resided and worked in:
Germany, France, The Netherlands & Greece.
I traveled to and/or through: Sweden, Denmark, England, Luxembourg, Belgium, Austria, Yugoslavia, Italy & Switzerland.

In Asia, I resided and worked in:
Lebanon.
I traveled to and/or through: Cyprus, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, The Emirates, Kuwait, Syria, Jordan & Turkey.
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Where In The World Have You Been   Where In The World Have You Been EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 4:08 am

LC wrote:
It would be nice if James Elders came over here, has anyone ever invited him?

LC,
He's too famous for this board!

Where In The World Have You Been Lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where In The World Have You Been   Where In The World Have You Been Empty

Back to top Go down

Where In The World Have You Been
Page 1 of 1