Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

What to read?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

What to read? Empty
PostSubject: What to read?   What to read? EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 am

There are so many books on the market that it is difficult to select what to read. We interact with other authors whose genre is often different from our own. We share insights that often clash with the views of another because writing styles differ.

I try to mix my reading. I will read a Number One Best Seller and then one from an unknown author as with one on a forum such as this. It is easy to become judgmental and that may be unfair given the experience and support afforded a best selling author. One has only to read the acknowledgments page to see the support they enjoy. Sometimes there are several pages of people that provided input to the work.

How many of us sent our work for review/critique to multiple persons before rushing to publication? How much research was included to insure credibility?

When I reflect on the books I have written, I see where they could have been better with more input - critique. When I read a book from a fellow author I like to share my impressions about the book as a way of helping. Some politely acknowledge my unsolicited comments while others are genuinely appreciative. Having multiple critiques before publication would be more beneficial than after the fact. I do appreciate knowing when someone has read my books. Their comments, good and bad, are welcomed. If they see flaws, other readers may see them also.

What to read next? Unfortunately, there is only so much time available for reading if one is writing, and the choices are enormous.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

What to read? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to read?   What to read? EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 11:14 am

Too many books and too few readers.

A sad situation for book writers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

What to read? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to read?   What to read? EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 2:13 pm

I have read some good books lately. One is "The Lost Quilter" a civil war story about a feisty slave girl. The picture of life as a slave was filled with horror and inhumanity but has a very happy ending. It takes place in South Carolina when we have lived and vacationed. It is a part of a series of quilter books.

Before that, I read "Those Who Save Us" which takes place in Nazi Germany where a woman falls in love with a Jewish man and becomes pregnant. She hides this man in her father's home where her father finds him and turns him in. She runs away to work at a bakery where they leave bread in a hiding place where the prisoners can find it. She is discovered and instead of she and her child being killed, a Nazi officer says he will be there every Thursday to have "his way with her." Thus comes the most disturbing part of the book.

She eventually marries a US army person, but is forever haunted by her past, as well as is her daughter who does not have an understanding of her mother's life.

Before that I read "101 Secrets of the Freemasons" another excellent practical realistic book about this very old organization.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

What to read? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to read?   What to read? EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 6:56 pm

Just finished Dan Brown's latest, The Lost Symbol. Set in D. C., it explores the symbols and rituals of the Masons, and the importance of recognizing the use of metaphors and not taking our Holy Books literally. It looks toward a reconciliation of religion and science. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

You might like it, Abe.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

What to read? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to read?   What to read? EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Thanks Ann. It is on my "to read" list.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

What to read? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to read?   What to read? EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 11:08 pm

I'll have to read that one, Ann, now that I understand 101 secrets of the Freemasons. The book played up how once something is secret, all sorts of false assumptions are made. You know even Audie Murphy was a Freemason.It is an organization of symbols, of belief in a higher power with goals of becoming more knowledgeable and spiritual. Some of my favorite relatives belonged.

And it is way beyond time for science and religion to be brought together. To me they are one and the same with God the great scientist. What is the problem?

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Sponsored content

What to read? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to read?   What to read? Empty

Back to top Go down

What to read?
Page 1 of 1