Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kdu
Two Star Member
Two Star Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press Empty
PostSubject: Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press   Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:30 am

I'm sure all of you have heard of this already but I wanted to spread the word just in case someone of you missed the big news.

Harlequin Books decided to open a vanity press division called Harlequin Horizons (Now DellArte Press), a rather expensive vanity press operation.

Big publishers owning a vanity press/self publishing press is nothing new (RandomHouse/Xlibris, for instance). The difference here is Harlequin puts links and promos for DellArte in their rejection letters and the DellArte website is riddled with the usual deceptive vanity press speak, "Fullfil your dreams, "Let your book see the light of day", etc. In addition Dellarte makes a vague promise about how their best selling books will be picked up for traditional publications.

The deceptiveness of this new venture has been discussed on Writers Beat, Absolute Write and Writer Beware, so a quick look at those sites will help you fill in the details.

Harlequin has been busy trying to spin this venture of theirs but already the SFWA, Mystery Writers of America and the Romance Writers of America have issued warnings and strong rebukes.

In the end, Harlequin has chosen profiting off the naive writer over it's well earned good name. Probably within six months, unless something changes, Harlequin Books will classified a vanity press which is a shame for it's current (and future) roster of authors.

Writer beware.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press   Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:50 am

It's obvioius from every view that the publishing business is undergoing revolutionary change just like many other areas of our life. The necessity for an informed populace to be able to sift through the changes and find their own best choices is greater than ever because change is so rapid.

Amazon.com had a contest for new authors to possibly win a publishing contract with Penguin Press. They limited it originally to 5000 entrants. I don't know how it is recently; but the "losers" were strongly encouraged to use Amazon's self-publishing products, Createspace and Book Surge. The contest was a great marketing technique to reach a market of 4,999 vulnerable writers who believed their manuscript was the next best seller - and with their rejection came the promise of fame and fortune with self-publishing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press   Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 9:00 am

Or, maybe they'll just close the venture when it turns out to be a bad business decision.

This is a real poor answer to the writers complaining that there's no way to get in the front door or a major publisher.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press   Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 10:30 am

Really.  We're the guardians of quality that keep out all those self-published riff-raff.   But slip me the money and you can slip under the rope.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press   Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 11:12 am

I don't get what all the fuss is about.

In the film Once (2006), a street musician and an immigrant female pianist get together and hire a recording studio (£2,000 for two hours use of the studio) and make a demo disc that he can take to London in hope of landing a music contract.

What is the difference between a professional studio charging unknown musicians for the use of their recording equipment and a professional publisher charging unknown writers for the use of their printing resources?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press   Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm

I tend to agree with you Shelagh; it's just that changing rules require an ever-more savvy consumer. It's one thing to offer services (Amazon's ploy is quite clever - to capture a vulnerable audience but with no false promises) and another to pander to the vulnerable with a cloaked switch and bait tactic.

I am glad for my experience with Publish America, in spite of its business plan. I learned a lot. I know people who have literally self-published and done quite well. My experience with L & L Dreamspell (small press) has been exceptional. However, each of these three avenues to publication require careful thought and analysis.

If potential publication is the goal, with desires for fame and fortune; it's a good thing there are web sites that clearly list the pitfalls of various publishing venues to spare people the disappointment of an unclear understanding up front. Business is business. Writers have to watch out for their own self interest in like of services they are purchasing.

I am relatively sophisticated; yet, when it comes to contracts, my hopes and dreams sometimes cloud my rational reading. I just made a big mistake on a car purchase because I was vulnerable to the sales pitch.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press   Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Young folk have been making demo recordings of their musical endeavours for as long as the technology has been around for them to do so. Only one percent of these musicians go on to sign a recording contract. In the sixties, many recording artists were paid a one-off payment and gave up the rights to their songs. The record companies made millions out of these recordings while the artists faded away and took regular jobs. The Beatles formed Apple in much the same way that writers today can form their own companies. Success comes from a dogged determination and not everyone has that.

The present technology around for writers enables new ways for budding authors to see their work published. Many of these published books are "demos" in musical terms and, in parallel with the music industry, only one percent of these vanity/self-published authors will sign contracts with major publishers.

I sympathise with you about the car but, when car salesmen lean on me, I walk out of the door. It's just the way I am -- it's also the reason my husband takes me with him when we change the car!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press   Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 3:22 pm

I make the mistake of believing a business that has a good reputation has salesmen that tell the truth - and they do - the half that works for them. Oh well, next time I'll go elsewhere. It's a four cylinder; it won't last a lifetime and it won't break the bank.
Back to top Go down
kdu
Two Star Member
Two Star Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press   Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 5:09 pm

"I don't get what all the fuss is about"

That about sums it up, doesn't it? It perfectly explains your (lack) of moderation here and the distinct lack of understanding the basics of publishing.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press   Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 2:06 am

Well, if you are right, Chris, then the old publishing way will survive. The new wave will collapse and published authors will regain their rightful place in the world. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press   Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press Empty

Back to top Go down

Harlequin Horizons/DellArte Press
Page 1 of 1