Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Sometimes good stuff happens

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Sometimes good stuff happens Empty
PostSubject: Sometimes good stuff happens   Sometimes good stuff happens EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 7:53 pm

Ever get in a funk and find yourself focusing on all the stuff in your life that you don't want there? I was in one of those moods today. I found myself sort of asking, or suggesting, to the universal-powers-that-be or who/whatever might be out there that it was time for something good to happen. I went to tutoring, and found out that I had been assigned to two young men who were studying for their SAT exams, the MATH part - MATH. SAT test Math. Me, who gets in trouble when she is assigned to teach the first graders how to count money!! The scheduler admitted she had made a mistake, but that it was too late to change it, and not to worry, the instructor's manual was very specific and complete. Well, the three of us made it through the hour, but on my way home, I found myself chastising those powers. That, I said to the world at large, was not what I had in mind.

So, I got home, checked my phone, and noticed my daughter Lynn had called. Oh, dear, I thought, now what? I returned the call, though, and Lynn asked if I had noticed the public service ad that had been on our local TV lately, about people who were owed money by the state, but didn't know it. I told her I had, but didn't see the point in checking it out. It turns out that Lynn decided to look online as the ad suggested, and found, not only her name - for an old apartment deposit of some sort, but she found mine, too. It seems, she said, that there were a couple of old checks for car insurance premium refunds dating back to 2001, while I was still living in Houston and teaching, for a total of nearly $200. I went online, and sure enough, there they were. The site said I could download an application form, but that I would need to provide a photo ID (embarrassing but do-able), proof of my SS# (not too hard) and something that proved I actually lived at my Houston address at the time. Bummer. That last meant a trip to the garage and an old storage file. But I went out, pulled the box down and opened it, and the single sheet of paper which was lying on the very top of the box was a notice of the direct deposit of my paycheck for December of 2001, with my name, my Houston address, and my SS#, all clearly showing. Right on the very top of the box!

I popped it into my scanner along with my driver's license, scanned it, downloaded the PDF application form, and all are already signed, sealed, and ready to be delivered to the post office as soon as it opens tomorrow. The website said it would take 60 to 90 days for everything to be processed, but that's OK. I'm taking the whole thing as my something good from the universe. I'm a happy camper.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes good stuff happens   Sometimes good stuff happens EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Haha, that's even better than putting on a jacket and finding a dollar in the pocket (always my day-brightener, lol).
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes good stuff happens   Sometimes good stuff happens EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 8:01 pm

LC, the dollar in a coat pocket would have filled the bill just fine. That would have brightened the day almost as much.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sometimes good stuff happens   Sometimes good stuff happens Empty

Back to top Go down

Sometimes good stuff happens
Page 1 of 1