Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Ok I have a question for you

Go down 
+5
blackrosewriting
Karina Kantas
Pam
Sue
Carmine
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Carmine

Carmine

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-01-12

Ok I have a question for you Empty
PostSubject: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 4:55 pm

Hello everyone , I know I have not been around much , just finish a small animation short using flash player and posting it , working on another small animation short on a TV story that I been writing on and off , I know I can not get it publish but I have posted it on the fan site and some have said its quite good , Why I write it and know it will never be publish well what can I say I love the show when it was on in New Zealand that my imagination goes on over drive , lol! , it seems that is what happens to me every time I watch a good TV show or movie , for example when I first watched the movie the Titanic , I began to play a story in my head on a submarine that was hurled back in the past and the Capt. had to decide to allow the ship to sink again and allow history to move forward or prevent it , and change the course , I had three chapters of it started and then stopped sadly because I had other things in my life at the time going and never continue, I know you are probably saying so what is the question for crying out loud , Rolling Eyes sorry I wanted to tell you how I get inspired to write and yet I stop because of other things or just begin to imagine another story because I changed my viewing habits , I am an avid Sci-Fi buff and always will be ,

but on to my question Question , how or you get inspired on writing and what it is that keeps you going until you finish , I know that some of you would have secrets or items you have that inspire you.

I know that Ray Bradbury used his office as an inspiration to his stories like the Martian chronicles, and the Illustrated Man.

If you don’t want to tell that is ok, if you already publish a story well I don’t see then not to tell on how you inspired in making that story.

I don’t know if I would try to make the story again about the Titanic and Submarine god know I read a lot of submarine books both regular and military ones from world war one and 1990 to work my story but who knows.
study
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 7:59 pm

Hi, Carmine,

I do find I write better in the morning when I wake up before I go downstairs and get caught up in 'real life.' Once I go downstairs I end up doing other things and the writing gets pushed aside. I have difficulty finding the time to write on a schedule. Though I do try. I know one fiction author who leaves her home for 2 weeks at a time just to write. I met a non-fiction writer who does the same thing. Another I have met sets certain times during the day, 5 days a week and doesn't move from that time slot even if nothing comes.

As for inspiration, for me it just comes. I have all my books just 'there' all the time. They are constantly in my head until I get the information down on paper. If I don't write stuff down it literally haunts me. So I guess you can say my mind is always buzzing and is always busy since.

I have 2 non-fiction that are going through my brain. One is similar to my current book. I am collaborating with someone else on a workbook for my current book. Also, I have 2 romantic novels haunting me, my life story (which I have been encouraged by doctors to write), and a 5 book murder series based on murders that I have in some way been involved with.

Now to find the time to get them all done. *sigh*
Back to top Go down
Carmine

Carmine

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 2:28 pm

lol very interesting , on the last part LOL
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 3:40 am

There was an involved thread about this topic a few weeks back Carmine, so you may find some interesting insights there too. Here is one of my favourite quotes, from a favourite author...

"I don't take notes; I don't outline, I don't do anything like that. I just flail away at the goddamn thing. I'm a salami writer.I try to write good salami, but salami is salami. You can't sell it as caviar." - Stephen King.

Love that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Karina Kantas
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Karina Kantas

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 6:57 am

S.E. Hinton's Outsiders ( book & film) and her following books, Rumble Fish, That was then this is now, and Tex, inspired me to write In Times of Violence.

Huntress, (due summer 2008) was inspired by the book, Under and Alone. ( true crime)

Heads & Tales was inspired by the Iron Maiden album, Best of the Beast.

Illusional Reality, 2 books fantasy series (unpublished) was inspired by Lord Of The rings ( books & films.)

What keeps me going is the love for the characters and the excitement of the conflicts they face. Their power and toughness.

I can't rest until the plot has exhausted itself.

Illusional Reality took 3 years, Huntress took 3 months. When I'm in the "Zone" there's no stopping me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.urbanhype101.wordpress.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:35 am

Jeez Karina, I had almost forgotten about The Outsides and Rumble Fish. I loved those stories!

Good luck with finding your zones!
Back to top Go down
blackrosewriting
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
blackrosewriting

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 11:58 am

Never say never... think positive!

Keep on trying, and if it's good, a publisher will see the talent someday!

We are currently open to submissions!
Back to top Go down
http://www.blackrosewriting.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 pm

Well Reagan you certainly get full marks for your continued marketing efforts within the forum Ok I have a question for you 634186 How successful have you been with market saturation on the books that you have published so far?
Back to top Go down
blackrosewriting
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
blackrosewriting

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 12:09 pm

My own novel, not through Black Rose Writing, has done fairly well... I learned a lot and now understand more on taking it to the next level!

But within our publishing house, we have our first 3 novels nearing release!!! So the future is bright and we will be able to answer your question someday, Pam! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.blackrosewriting.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 12:11 pm

C'mon Karina and Pam, Reagan's waiting for your submissions! Do you submit?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 12:13 pm

Okay okay, I submit already bounce And I am glad Reagan knows that we're a bit nutty round here at times and yet still puts up with it all. Thanks Reagan!
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 12:23 pm

A bit nutty? The very idea. jocolor Ok I have a question for you Fahr10
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Carmine

Carmine

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 3:28 pm

LOL Well if your all nutty well then I go for just be crazy , You are all so lucky in your writings and originality I wish I could be so , my inspirations was more on books by JR Tolken and Isaac Asimov and Ray Bradbury , my minds imagination sadly would be from some movie or TV show to make a continuation of said TV or Movie , Other then that I make good stories for the web , now that doesn’t mean I don’t like it , I do get a sense of satisfaction when someone compliments me on it , I was trying to write an animation on a TV show that stop showing and even wrote to the studio , and got no response , not surprising on that part , but a friend told me to do the animation in a short film and broadcast it on the web , and don’t forget to created the studio and what not to cover your butt , it will get there attention , nothing short of streaking across there studio.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Carmine, don't go streaking, sometimes it can land you in jail!! I just get an idea in my head, formulate a plot in my head, then sit down and type it out. I may do several chapters at a time, then go blank for a short while. Then my mental computer goes into overdrive again, and I am off and running. I often go back and add things before I even go to edit my work once I get rolling.

Reagan,I will have to check your submission guidelines again I think, to see what genres other than poetry you handle. Good job of shameless promotion!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Karina Kantas
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Karina Kantas

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 12:19 am

I have a few open submissions with UK literary agents so until I hear from them, I won't be submitting anywhere else.

I had a nice chat with Reagan and she gave me the ins and out.

Pam.

If you read, and enjoyed Rumble Fish and Outsiders, then you have to read In Times of Violence.

The E-book cost only $6.77. Go on treat yourself.
Smile

Last edited by Karina on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.urbanhype101.wordpress.com
Carmine

Carmine

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 3:45 am

zadaconnaway wrote:
Carmine, don't go streaking, sometimes it can land you in jail!! I just get an idea in my head, formulate a plot in my head, then sit down and type it out. I may do several chapters at a time, then go blank for a short while. Then my mental computer goes into overdrive again, and I am off and running. I often go back and add things before I even go to edit my work once I get rolling.

Reagan,I will have to check your submission guidelines again I think, to see what genres other than poetry you handle. Good job of shameless promotion!!

Well one I lack the body and might be thrown in for just wearing my underwear , on to creatative I found my old stories and I will see if I can pursue on maybe finishing them
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 9:23 am

Cool-thanks for the tip Karina!
Back to top Go down
rowena cherry
Two Star Member
Two Star Member

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 11:43 pm

Hello, Carmine,

Characters and impossible situations inspire me. One of my favorite science fiction books was The Gods Themselves, by Asimov because of the impossible equation, and the three partners necessary to produce a Hard One. It may follow that I also enjoy watching Mythbusters, The Planet's Most Extreme, and other shows on Discovery and Animal Planet for inspiration.

Best wishes,
Rowena Cherry
Back to top Go down
http://www.rowenacherry.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you EmptyThu May 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Carmine wrote:
but on to my question Question , how or you get inspired on writing and what it is that keeps you going until you finish , I know that some of you would have secrets or items you have that inspire you.

Inspiration just happens to me.

The main ideas for my first novel zapped into my brain when I was driving
throught the Willamette and Deschutes forests. Then my characters and story just kind of took off from there.

I've discovered I stay inspired if I work on two or three novels at a time.

Another novel was inspired after I saw a beautiful homeles man in Southern California. Yes, he had the most serene and contented face. He was just fascinating to watch.

And another story was inspired by my son's girlfriend's red Jeep Cherokee. Odd how that one popped into my head. The story isn't even about a Jeep ... it just inspired the opening scene and then the story just took off.
scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ok I have a question for you   Ok I have a question for you Empty

Back to top Go down

Ok I have a question for you
Page 1 of 1