Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?

Go down 
+6
RetiredName
joefrank
Shelagh
Dick Stodghill
LC
alice
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:23 am

Shelagh wrote:
It isn't very brilliant making sales from ghost written books of media stars; it is just good business.

Says who? If someone has the ability and connections to ghost write, and makes good money from it, I consider that brilliant. Brilliance isn't limited to stars, the support staff needs lots of it, too.

Quote :
I would also add, LC, that you admit that writing fiction is too difficult for you. Maybe promoting books is too difficult for you. Why don't you allow those who want to write and promote to do just that without telling them that they are wasting their time.

Again, I never said anyone shouldn't "promote." I am questioning the effectiveness of the cheapskate promoting suggested here. So far, no one has posted how free press release and freewebs sites have achieved their goals (or maybe I'm misunderstanding their goals). And again with your Beatles stories -so a teacher told them to stick to their knitting. The Fed Ex guy was told that by a college prof, too. What's your point, I haven't told anyone to NOT WRITE BOOKS anymore, have I?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:37 am

LC,

What is your point?

It eludes me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:43 am

LC wrote:
Shelagh wrote:
It isn't very brilliant making sales from ghost written books of media stars; it is just good business.

Says who? If someone has the ability and connections to ghost write, and makes good money from it, I consider that brilliant. Brilliance isn't limited to stars, the support staff needs lots of it, too.
Ghost writers of books about media stars have zero impact on sales. They might have a negative impact but they won't increase sales by a single copy. The same with authors paying for promotion -- they might as well throw their money away. You may think that free press releases and free websites are ineffective but you won't lose any money if you use them but you mostly certainly will lose any money you spend on promotion -- and that includes bookmarks and all the other promotional stuff. BUT authors like to do it. So, let them.
LC wrote:
Again, I never said anyone shouldn't "promote." I am questioning the effectiveness of the cheapskate promoting suggested here. So far, no one has posted how free press release and freewebs sites have achieved their goals (or maybe I'm misunderstanding their goals). And again with your Beatles stories -so a teacher told them to stick to their knitting. The Fed Ex guy was told that by a college prof, too. What's your point, I haven't told anyone to NOT WRITE BOOKS anymore, have I?
No the Fed Ex man was told not to pursue an academic career and was told what a wonderful musician he was.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:50 am

Quote :
but you mostly certainly will lose any money you spend on promotion -- and that includes bookmarks and all the other promotional stuff. BUT authors like to do it.

I wonder -do authors really like doing it, or have they been misled by the mushrooming numbers of websites who tell them it's necessary, and have a vested interest in their believing it?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:52 am

Quote :
Ghost writers of books about media stars have zero impact on sales. They might have a negative impact but they won't increase sales by a single copy.

I was thinking of brilliance in the context of making money via writing. The ghostwriter's "sale" was made to the publisher.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:59 am

Authors like the feeling of being authors. They like that more than the royalties -- although they make a song and dance about low royalties. You are a very good example of how that works. You have been posting on websites for twenty years telling everyone that you are an author. You say that to add extra weight to your arguments; you do not call yourself an author as a means of increasing your royalties.

Now, you tell me, why do you call yourself an author?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 8:05 am

LC wrote:
Quote :
Ghost writers of books about media stars have zero impact on sales. They might have a negative impact but they won't increase sales by a single copy.

I was thinking of brilliance in the context of making money via writing. The ghostwriter's "sale" was made to the publisher.
This is not the same in academia. When I published in fee paying journals (The British Journal of Healthcare Computing) the work was viewed as an article in a magazine not a paper in a journal (Journal in the title made no difference). Paid articles were not as highly regarded as papers that appeared in peer reviewed journals.

You might say that academic work is different. I would answer by saying that fiction is very different to non-fiction but it doesn't stop you from pontificating on how fiction writers should approach publishing.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 8:08 am

I have been on websites for 20 years but on writing websites for less than two. The others have been parenting, fitness, fashion, and satire sites.

I don't recall ever describing myself as an "author." I wrote a couple of books and am writing a third, but it's an income-generating hobby that will never replace my day job. And I don't have to call myself anything to add extra weight to the argument that freebie promotion doesn't seem to have any kind of significant impact:no one here has shown me otherwise.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 8:10 am

Shelagh wrote:
This is not the same in academia. When I published in fee paying journals (The British Journal of Healthcare Computing) the work was viewed as an article in a magazine not a paper in a journal (Journal in the title made no difference). Paid articles were not as highly regarded as papers that appeared in peer reviewed journals.

I have no idea whatsoever how this relates to anything or what you're talking about now, so I guess I'll just bow out. Enjoy your free promotions, I hope it brings you all you're looking for, seriously.

Bye.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 9:24 am

Good luck--you will need it--just like the rest of us do.

Free sounds good to me.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 11:52 am

9/20/2009

I remember reading once a guy tried to get a
acting job at a famous studio, he was told his ears were
to big and he would never make it as an actor. We'll guess
what , that guy became CLARK GABLE ! Always believe in
your dreams.......

Cheers...Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 12:44 pm

I read somewhere in some promotion "how to" I can't remember where, that any author can claim that their book is best selling.
For example I have published one book I can rightfully say it is my best selling book, It is the only book I have selling hence it is my best selling book. It is all down to view point.
So If I were to publish on my website a list of everybody's on this forums books and call it a bestseller list you will all be listed bestselling authors.

Let me know if you want to be on my list How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 1:00 pm

David,

You are a hoot! Count me in. lol!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 1:04 pm

Count me in! My Arirang: The Bamboo Connection is #75 for books about the Dominican Republic on Amazon.com - that's got to be a "best seller."
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 3:40 pm

This is the way Jeffrey Archer writes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flK44wCjtLw&feature=player_embedded#t=189
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?   How Does One Become a Best Selling Author? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How Does One Become a Best Selling Author?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2