Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mjgoodnow
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
mjgoodnow

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think? Empty
PostSubject: Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think?   Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think? EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Evolution of the Fallen

A novel written by Michael Goodnow

Michael, and 18 year-old schizophrenic, is finally discharged from the local state psychiatric hospital and sent to live in a group home in Connecticut. He reluctantly meets his housemates but soon realizes that finally he has found a place to call home. His housemates are three physically and mentally teenagers much like Michael. Jon comes from an abusive home. He is a compulsive overeater who struggles with bouts of anger and depression. Sara is a cutter which is believed to have stemmed from a rape when he was a young child. Then there is Stephanie who is a deaf-mute struggling with depression and shyness. All of the personalities in one house will make for interesting conversations over the dinner table.

Beth, their house mother, provides them all with notebooks and sends them to their rooms to journal about what they had done and what they can do to make themselves feel better. Michael, who is bored with the project, takes out his guitar and begins to play a song he was writing with his inspiration coming from one of Stephanie’s poetry writings. Through the air vents, the other teens here the music and venture out to see who is playing the guitar. Jon, who loves to play the drums, begins tapping out the tune, while Sara who also plays a guitar begins to play along. Surprising to them all, Stephanie the deaf-mute then begins to feel out the music by the vibrations. She then takes out her bass and slowly begins to play along. When Beth discovers their talents she begins a program, of music therapy. From there a band was formed which they called Black Shadow. The group still carries their own fears and lack of self-esteem, but the healing powers of the music they create bind them together as they begin to heal. Black Shadow then goes on to make a cd and play at Madison Square Gardens!

This 66,844 word Drama novel will move the reader to tears while inspiring them in so many ways. Music can inspire, heal, and bring joy to those who are truly searching. This novel, written for those of all ages, proves that ‘we are all truly blessed’!

Michael Goodnow resides in Minnesota. This is his first book.

Evolution of the Fallen awaits your consideration.

Book Proposal for “The Evolution of the Fallen”

Author’s Name: Michael Goodnow
Proposed Book Title: Evolution of the Fallen
Daytime Phone: 952-484-8941
Email Address: mjgoodnow@gmail.com
Physical Address: 915 11th Ave S #2, Hopkins, MN 55343

Author’s Age: 34 years
Manuscript Word Count: 66,844 words
This is a work of Fiction
It falls into the category of young adult or general fiction.
I was self referred to Weaving Dreams Publishing through their website
This book has an inspirational theme and ends on a highly positive note.
The audience would be adults of any age, teens and possibly those with emotional handicaps.
Promotion: The book can be promoted on my website and on any website that can cross promote with my other book Red Storm- Regime Guard 1000 Years of War.

The book will have great appeal to anyone with any type of mental illness.

Competing titles: I Never Promised You a Rose Garden—this book doesn’t involve music and involves only a single character. It is also a very old book. It is also like the book and movie Girl, Interrupted; however, this book is ten years old and involves a main character who spends most of her time in a psychiatric hospital. The four main characters in this book are not hospitalized. This manuscript is also more inspirational. There is always a need for books describing the successes of those people that society has written off and I believe this manuscript does this very well. This book is unique in that it involves a musical element and spends less time on the illnesses of the teen than their strengths.

Career Experience: This is my first experience writing a novel or any kind of published item.

Time Spent Writing: I finished the book in about seven weeks, taking about 120 hours to write and edit.

Language and Photos: This book contains less than five words of profanity which could easily be changed in order to broaden the readership. I would be amenable to changing any objectionable terminology. There is minimal technological language involving the mental health industry or the music industry. There are no photos.

Promotion: I have unlimited time to devote to promotion and marketing.

Multiple Submission: This not a multiple submission.

Derogatory statements: There are not derogatory statements towards anything currently real in this book.

Marketing: I have an internet site that I can market the book on; book signings and appearances; seminars, when applicable. I know theater troupes and musicians that will help market the book.
Back to top Go down
http://regimeguard.net
ann

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think?   Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think? EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 9:35 am

Hi,

I think you want to structure your query letter a bit differently. Here's what I would do:

Dear Agent:

'Evolution of the Fallen' is young adult story contemporary fictions of approximately 67,000 words.

Michael, an 18 year-old schizophrenic, after (x number of years or months), is finally discharged from the local state psychiatric hospital and sent to live in a group home in Connecticut. He thinks he will be as unhappy there as he has been anywhere else, and just wishes ….(fill in something here about goals). His three housemates all have their own severe psychiatric problems, and Michael just wants to stay away from them. By chance, the four discover they have a common interest in music, and try to form a link by forming a band. They struggle to overcome their own fears, eventually finding commercial and emotional success as a group through the healing powers of music.

Last paragraph-just write one or two sentences about your education and current job, or even leave this part out altogether if you don't think it will help you.

You don't want to call it a 'drama' novel, and you don't want to describe how it will make readers feel. Agents hate this. You also don't need to submit a book proposal; that's for non-fiction. You will eventually need a synopsis, so you might want to try your hand at that.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down
lovesamy

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think?   Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think? EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi Michael!

I am one of those people who likes to see examples, and in case you are like me, you might want to check out the BookEnds website/blog. The address is bookendslitagency dot blogspot dot com.

On the right hand side are links to actual query letters than landed contracts and other posts that provide great information (under 'Must-Read Posts').

If I have time later I will try and take a stab at your query as well if you'd like.

Best of luck, your premise is very interesting.

study
Back to top Go down
mjgoodnow
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
mjgoodnow

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think?   Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think? EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 6:41 pm

Your input is generous. Thank you so so much
Back to top Go down
http://regimeguard.net
lovesamy

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think?   Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 9:34 am

You're very welcome!

Something I find recommended by many agents is that you do a little research in order to target agents you think may be interested in your work. There are multiple ways to do this. First, you could search through agentquery dot com to find agents who handle your genre. Or you could do some leg work to determine who represents novels similar to your own, familiarize yourself with them, and use that in your query letter. Another agent who has multiple great resources for aspiring writers is Nathan Bransford. Do a search on ‘Nathan Bransford Query Letter Mad Lib’ for a neat way to baseline your query letter.

My take, using some of Ann’s suggestions (just re the story blurb):

Michael, an 18 year-old schizophrenic, is finally discharged from the local state psychiatric hospital and sent to live in a group home in Connecticut. He is convinced that he will be as unhappy there as he has been anywhere else, and just wishes ….(fill in something here about goals). Michael’s worst fears seem to be confirmed when he meets his three housemates, all of whom have their own severe psychiatric problems. He does his best to stay away from them until by chance the four discover they have a common interest in music. They forge a link by forming a band, and despite their fears and lack of self-esteem the healing powers of music work their magic and the group begins to heal.

Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think?   Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 10:23 am

The Bookends web site is very good, and has some great info. Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
lovesamy

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think?   Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 10:33 am

You are very welcome!

study
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think?   Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 10:55 am

MJ,

I love the premise of this book. I have rewritten the summary

Michael, 18 years-old and diagnosed with schizophrenia, is discharged from the state psychiatric hospital and sent to live in a group home in Connecticut. Although reluctant, he realizes that he has found a place to call home. His housemates are three teenagers much like Michael. Jon, who comes from an abusive home, struggles with compulsive overeating, bouts of anger and depression. Sara's problems with cutting are believed to have stemmed from a rape when she was a young child. Then there is Stephanie, who is deaf and struggles with depression and shyness.

Beth, their house mother, provides them all with notebooks and sends them to their rooms to journal about what they can do to make themselves feel better. Michael, bored with the project, takes out his guitar and begins to play an original song written with inspiration from one of Stephanie’s poems. Through the air vents, the other teens hear the music. Jon, who loves to play the drums, begins tapping out the tune, while Sara begins to play along on her own guitar. Surprising to all, Stephanie begins to feel the vibrations of the music, takes out her bass and slowly begins to join them.

Beth discovers their talents, and begins a program of music therapy. From there a band is formed which they called Black Shadow. Members of the group still carry their own fears and lack of self-esteem, but the power of the music they create binds them together as they begin to heal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think?   Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think? Empty

Back to top Go down

Evolution of the Fallen proposal- let me know what u think?
Page 1 of 1