Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

A modest proposal for a new century . . .

Go down 
+5
dkchristi
joefrank
Abe F. March
alj
Victor D. Lopez
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

A modest proposal for a new century . . . Empty
PostSubject: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 9:55 pm

Once the auto stimulation of the Republican and Democratic
conventions is finally over and the echoes of bombastic speeches full of sound
and fury signifying little are swept off the stage along with the confetti, it might be wise for all
Americans to do some out-of-the-box thinking about what could be done to save
us from a government that too often gives anarchy a good name.

So, with advance apologies to Jonathan Swift, I would like to offer my own
six-point modest proposal to save our democracy via some creative
Constitutional Amendments for a new century. Since the Constitution is a
living document under the prevailing jurisprudential view, let us inject
some vibrancy and new vitality into the old, dated, dry, parchment.

1. Send every single politician in Washington D.C. on a one-way junket to any lesser-developed country on earth that still practices cannibalism as both foreign aid and a
good-will gesture that shows our respect for all cultural predilections;

2. Replace the anachronistic electoral college system and representative
democracy with direct democracy--one (live) person one vote (even in Chicago);

3. Disband the executive and legislative branches of government and their attendant bloated bureaucracies and replace
both with a supercomputer (HAL 2012?) to implement the direct wishes of the
people through appropriate legislation literally interpreted and enforced;

4. Use the savings from the dismantling of the federal bureaucracy for direct
programs at home to provide a true safety net for needy individuals, enhance
everyone's health care, and provide practical work-related training and support
that every American may once again take pride in being a useful contributor to
and stakeholder in a great society that actually lives up to the name;

5.Send displaced federal bureaucrats for retraining that they may utilize their innate
skills for other more useful purposes--guano farming and cesspool cleaning services
come to mind (no disrespect intended to guano farmers or cesspool cleaning
professionals). Those who resist can be offered a free trip under Paragraph 1;

6. Provide the same benefit under Paragraph 1 to federal judges who
subvert the people's will and the Constitution by interpreting square
legislative pegs as anything but square legislative pegs.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Quote :
Disband the executive and legislative branches of government and their attendant bloated bureaucracies and replace
both with a supercomputer (HAL 2012?) to implement the direct wishes of the
people through appropriate legislation literally interpreted and enforced;

What's wrong, Victor??? A modest proposal for a new century . . . 733985

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 2:00 am

Ann, I think Victor is fed up. I agree with most of his proposals. The extreme views are understood by the frustration we face and our ability to change things quickly.

As for the vote, I think the Electoral College is antiquated. The popular vote needs a critical evaluation. Either it counts or it doesn't.

Another thing that is overlooked by many is the policy of spending: When things are going well, that is the time to save - to build a reserve for the bad times. We know that nothing lasts and that includes the good times. When times are bad is when the government can release the savings to stimulate the economy. Spending is required. When things are tough is not the time to tighten the belt - It's already too late for that.

The above applies to personal finances. When things are going great, many will spend as though there is no tomorrow. Saving for that "rainy day" is prudent.

Fiscal responsibility is good when applied at the right time. Taxing fairly means everyone contributes. Giving tax breaks to the rich is pure stupidity. You don't expect them to pitch in and help when times are bad. They sit on their money and cut their payroll and benefits to continue their corporate profit objectives. To try and balance the budget on the backs of people who are struggling to survive is irresponsible. Taxing the poor is not an intelligent concept.

Yes, it is frustrating and I can see how sending the legislators to a country where they must stuggle to survive would be a good lesson, but it is not a practical solution. If our votes are to count, we are in a position within a short time to act on it. And if the votes don't count, then we must change the constitution or whatever else requires change to make our voices heard. Taxation without representation is one of the major causes of the American Revolution. If necessary, we must revolt. Peacefully if possible.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 4:32 am

I understand what Victor is saying, Abe. "What's wrong, Dave?" is what Hal the Computer kept asking Kier Dullea's character in Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, while Dave, the main (human)character, was trying to take back control of the spaceship and shut the computer down after Hal had taken it over.

It was a perfect metaphor, I thought, for the situation we face today. "The machine" seems to be in control, and oblivious to the fact that it is leading us toward destruction.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 8:02 am

Perfect, Ann. Exactly right! A modest proposal for a new century . . . 973110
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 8:04 am

9/5/2012

Victor...

I love it .....A modest proposal for a new century . . . 973110

Make all politicians including President

and Vice-President read the the Constitution

take a test and if they fail they don't get the job !

Cheers..Joe...A modest proposal for a new century . . . 925501
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 9:23 am

I think the point is that the Constitution is not sufficient for modern times and needs some changing.

In spite of its fluff and corruption, our system still provides for a peaceful change in government and pretends to incorporate the voices of the people.

I do see in the Affordable Care Act the implementation of concerns about health care and the correction of some issues particularly heinous for women and parents.

Some positive legislation does get implemented. The costs to get there, however, would end the debt. The costs of this campaign are criminal when so many people in this country are in desperate need.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:16 am

9/5/2012

I don't think the Constitution needs changing, it was meant

to protect the american public...

Cheers..Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:47 am

It's already been changed many times to add rights for citizens that were left out initially. It is not sacred. That has been the strength of the U.S., a document that can be flexible enough to be a framework as the world changes. Believe me, our founding fathers had no idea about this global economy and technology.

However, changing the constitution is purposefully difficult so that it takes careful consideration.

There's plenty in Congress to clean up before changing the constitution anyway.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 1:39 pm

9/5/2012

" CONGRESS IS FIRED !"

Cheers....Joe.....
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Well, you can do that by going to the polls and voting out the ones who sat on their hands and turned over their vote to the Lobbyist Grover Norquist. Thanks to them, we lost our AAA rating as a nation and more. They tied any legislation to implementing legislation that limits female choices regarding their own bodies which no one in their right mind would see as related to a jobs bill or an economic improvement bill. What a bunch of bozo's except for their lack of patriotism and their single minded desire to sink the nation which sinking President Obama amounted to.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 3:11 pm

9/5/2012

I still say both parties democrats and republicans

Congress and Senators to President and Vice-President

all should be thrown out of office, Oh yes many Presidents

don't know or their too dam arrogant to understand they

are nothing more than a figue head, they hold "NO POWER"

Congress has all the power. And under the Constitution it

states any president who does an act of treason of any kind

they will be tried and put in prison.......

Cheers..Joe.....A modest proposal for a new century . . . 925501
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Joe, you clearly have some strong feelings about this. I would like to understand your perspective. Could you be more specific about what has upset you?

Are you saying you think the president has committed a treasonous act? What was it?

Ann
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 4:38 pm

9/5/2012

Ann..

I didn' say he committed an act, I'm just stating what's

in the Constitution, I'm so tired of politiicians, they all lie

tell the public what they want to hear, and they fall for

it everytime... Oh yes and I'm sick and tired of people

playing the " Race Card !," if you don't like a politicians

politics your a racist that has to stop, no wonder this

coutry is so divided...Does that make me anti gay because

I can't stand to look at and listen to Barney Frank ? " NO !"

We are all Americans and I'm so sick and tired of this country

when everyone is put into little cubby holes , White, Black, Hispanic,

Mexican, Chinese,Japanese, Italian, German, etc, or sex oriented,

I think I've said my peace till 2016 when Hillary becomes Pres.

Cheers..Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 5:07 pm

Well, I clearly hear your frustration, Joe. I can certainly agree with you about the racism issue. That is part of what I liked about last night. I didn't hear anyone using a race card. What I heard instead was that minorities could be successful contenders. To me, that means we are moving in the direction where those cubby holes will be irrelevant.

I liked the focus, for instance, on the idea of an individual's rights and freedoms not being limited because of "who they love," and that women are no longer being denied or paying more for health care on the basis of having "preexisting conditions" simply because they are women. Isn't that about getting rid of cubby holes?

I get that you are fed up with the lies; it seems to me that many of them come from the media. We definitely need to be discerning about what we read and who we vote for.

I think we are all feeling frustrated these days. Everyone has a different way of dealing with that frustration. If taking yourself out of the discussion gives you some peace, go for it. Take a few deep breaths; get out in that gorgeous southwestern scenery. Nature is a great healer.

But don't stay away too long. We would miss you.

Looking forward to those horse books, BTW.

Annie
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Tonight's speakers to the very end were exceptional; I am proud to be an American tonight and grateful that we have a President who can lead us into the future, a man of character and leadership.

I am not proud of the Congressional representatives (with a few exceptions) and, like Joe, I feel powerless to do anything about them.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Bill Clinton was able to say what Obama could not without looking like he saw himself as a victim. Sandra Fluke and Elizabeth Warren had already voiced the progressive agenda. It was left for us to realize that the proper response to the economic problem is the progressive agenda. We will overcome the current situation by strengthening the middle class and by giving women, minorities, and the disadvantaged a voice and the power to control their own lives.

I am looking forward to Obama's address tomorrow.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Suggested 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to any and all elected officials."
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 1:12 am

D. J. (Don) Stephens wrote:
Suggested 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to any and all elected officials."

Totally agree, Don. How can we get this promoted for enactment?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 2:07 am

When it comes to voting, we know that the GOP is trying to make it difficult where it should and could be simple.
We are in the electronics’ age. Why can’t we vote electronically? Those who go to a voting station should be able to punch in a code identifying them and cast their vote.

Everyone of voting age has a SS number. A security code could be given as is with a Credit Card. A central processing unit could identify and SS duplication. Leave it to the experts to figure out the proper security method, however it can be done. Those qualified to vote without a SS number could be required to present themselves at a voting station, etc., etc.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 7:35 am

Abe, you are absolutely correct. Voting is archaic in this modern technology age. However, since politicians still hope to "control" it somehow, they keep the current systems messy.
Back to top Go down
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 11:07 am

Don,

I absolutely agree with your proposed 28th Amendment. The hypocrisy of congress in exempting itself from many of the laws it passes (including the Civil Rights Acts, Americans With Disabilities Act, etc.) is simply astounding.

Abe,

With all due respect, I don't think your characterization of the GOP as trying to make voting difficult is accurate as it implies some nefarious intent to disenfranchise people. The simple fact is that what the GOP wants (and Democrats always oppose) is to ensure that only people entitled to vote cast votes, and then only once per eligible individual. (Read: no illegal aliens, no convicted felons in jail who have lost the right to vote as part of the punishment for their crimes, no dead people from the Windy City or elsewhere, and no pets) If we can get beyond the demagoguery by special interest groups and, frankly, most vocal Democrats on the issue, Americans of all party affiliations should take a stand against voter fraud.

Reasonable measures to deter voter fraud include showing a picture I.D. as proof of identity before casting a vote do not pose an unreasonable burden on voters. This is no different than having to prove who you are before cashing a check or applying for a passport. Every state that requires voter ID provides free forms of acceptable identification to anyone for the asking--as long as they can prove they are entitled to vote through a valid passport, tribal birth certificate or U.S. birth certificate, for example. Of course, this does not help people who want to cast fraudulent votes, such as illegal aliens or people wishing to register to vote from multiple addresses or through multiple identities.

Stuffing the ballot box and illegal voting is something that no political party should defend or tacitly support by attacking and mischaracterizing every rational effort to prevent the practice.

The elephant in the room is not disenfranchisement but the tacit encouragement of voter fraud by parties whose only interest is winning at any cost and who believe that, of course, the ends justify the means. Beyond the facade of fairness used to justify the recent unprecedented (and I believe patently illegal) executive order by President Obama, pandering to illegals and increasing the Democratic voter rolls was its transparent primary motivating factor. President Obama implemented his version of the Dream Act in direct violation of existing laws and the expressed wishes of our elected legislative body--Congress. Again, the (self-serving, politically motivated) ends justify the means. The oath of office and the rule of law be damned. To my colleagues and friends who cheered this 'courageous, correct" action I remind them that, if it is allowed to stand, then conservative Presidents in the future will be just as free to refuse to enforce the laws they find inconvenient or distasteful and legislate by executive fiat--just like every good, old fashioned banana republic.

What offends me the most, and I do not use the word lightly, is that the (mostly Democratic) talking heads that decry the death of democracy if we make the slightest effort to stamp out voter fraud are as silent as the long-dead voters in Chicago when thousands upon thousands of absentee ballots from our military personnel, who safeguard our freedom to wring our hands about the imminent death of our democracy in the safety of a homeland they make safe with their blood, with their hardship, and too often with their lives are thrown out for arriving late or for other minor irregularities outside the control of people stationed far from home who must rely on military mail drops to exercise their right to vote. No one from the DNC pumps their fists in the air raving about the outrageous injustice in their disenfranchisement; Where are the voices from the DNC raised in righteous indignation in defense of those to whom we owe our freedom on the issue of their disenfranchisement? Surely the silence on those occasions--including the last presidential election--has nothing to do with the fact that too many of these unquestionably valid votes are much more likely than not cast for Republicans!
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 3:15 pm

9/8/2012

Victor....

BRAVO..........A modest proposal for a new century . . . 973110

You would be great as a Congressman !

Cheers........Joe....A modest proposal for a new century . . . 925501
Back to top Go down
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Well, I'm kinda chubby these days and would probably roast nicely for the benefit of any cannibals . . . Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Victor,

With all due respect, obtaining and showing a picture ID is not always a snap. Take the Nursing home residents for starters.

Far from being illegal fraudulent folks, they are veterans of wars and can't vote because of the difficulty of getting picture ID.

Last edited by alice on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A modest proposal for a new century . . .   A modest proposal for a new century . . . Empty

Back to top Go down

A modest proposal for a new century . . .
Page 1 of 12Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next