Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Royalties

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Royalties Empty
PostSubject: Royalties   Royalties EmptyMon May 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Via a link form Brandon Sanderson, a post about royalties:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Royalties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Royalties   Royalties EmptyMon May 25, 2009 3:45 pm

Thanks Chris! Very informative!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Royalties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Royalties   Royalties EmptyMon May 25, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks for the link. Very easy to read and good explanation. Most authors don't realize any of this. I am not saying ones here, but most that I deal with.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Royalties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Royalties   Royalties EmptyMon May 25, 2009 8:15 pm

I don't like the way he referred to an advance as a loan. That's inaccurate, since loans have to be paid back. Advances don't.

I have contracts with three houses. None pay on the cover price. That would be too simple, I guess. Mine are on the net, and there's no one net price. Different customers get different net prices, none of which are disclosed to me. There's also a paragraph in all my contracts discussing that "other expenses" (not described) are deducted from the net. The overseas stuff as described in the contract is pure gibberish to me.

I suspect my contracts suck. I do make decent money off my books, but could probably could have made more if I knew what I was doing. For instance, I never thought to ask what the potential market of any of my books are, which directly affects if the sliding percentage per # sold makes sense. Oh well. Since I never had an agent or even consulted a lawyer, I can only blame myself.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Royalties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Royalties   Royalties EmptyMon May 25, 2009 9:56 pm

You are paying the advance back. You are paying it back through the royalties you get. Then when the royalties pay it all back you get cash in your pocket for the rest of the books that are sold. That is what he means by loan.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Royalties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Royalties   Royalties EmptyMon May 25, 2009 10:02 pm

I understand that, but it's still not a good descriptor. When I get a "loan" from a bank, it's not an advance against earnings. It's money that they expect back no matter what I do with it or how successfully or unsuccessfully I invest it. An advance is money given me, which I earn out. If I don't earn it out, I don't give it back. That's what makes it not a loan as conventionally understood.

If you want to see how the word "advance" is really misrepresented, visit Ryan Tate's (Tate Publishing) blog. He calls an advance a loan, too, and acts like it's a bad thing for the author (when what he wants is a reverse-advance from the author to him).
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Royalties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Royalties   Royalties EmptyTue May 26, 2009 7:32 am

I think the descriptor was used to get people to understand what she was saying. I'm not sure it was the best word to use but it worked for the picture she was describing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Royalties Empty
PostSubject: Re: Royalties   Royalties Empty

Back to top Go down

Royalties
Page 1 of 1