Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

How well do you understand the bible?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

How well do you understand the bible? Empty
PostSubject: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptySat May 16, 2009 3:55 pm

cc

Last edited by domenic Pappalardo on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptySat May 16, 2009 4:05 pm

John 3:16 comes to mind.
For God so loved the world that he gave his only son to die for us so that we might have everlasting life.

That's a paraphrase. I'm too lazy to go grab my bible or search the 'net for the exact wording. Very Happy

Then, there is the more simpler verse which I happen to take to heart: Love one another.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptySat May 16, 2009 4:33 pm

cc

Last edited by domenic Pappalardo on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptySat May 16, 2009 6:33 pm

If you already know the answer, please share! I thought you were asking a question.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptySat May 16, 2009 7:01 pm

The Bible is comprised of over 60 books written by about 40 different men. (Or written by God using 40 inspired men.)

Anyone who has read/studied the Bible knows that it is a compilation of history, prophecy, revelations, science, philosophy, etc.

I've read the Bible several time, including several translations/versions. I've studied it, verse by verse.

Personally, I believe there is just too much contained in this Book to be summarized by one verse. I think there are many good verses that say much about God and his messages to man. But not one of them says enough to convey what is contained from Genesis to Revelation.

I don't know which verse in Genesis you had in mind. I'd be interested to know what it is. It may summarize the Bible for some people ... but I don't think it will for all people.

But I think no matter what verse anyone choose it would be subjective.

Merri's choice was an excellent choice. And it may say it all for her and many others. Just as much as a different verse may say it all for someone else.

People who read/study the Bible gain different things from it. They may each be searching for something different.

There are many spiritual people, people interested in philosophy, people interested in history, and scholars who have read and studied the Bible thoroughly and each gain a different understanding.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptySat May 16, 2009 7:23 pm

cc

Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptySat May 16, 2009 8:25 pm

I agree, JoElle, that different people glean different things from the bible and to say that there is one verse that sums it all up for everyone doesn't seem logical.

I didn't recall what Genesis 3:15 said, so I went to www.biblepathway.com. This is the NIV version:

15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring [a] and hers;
he will crush [b] your head,
and you will strike his heel."

I can't say it shed any light on God's love for God's people or that Jesus died so we could live.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptySat May 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Genesis 3:15 is generally considered the first prophecy regarding the messiah.

I wouldn't say that sums up the Bible. It is the start of about 60 more prophecies found in the Hebrew text.

You may say it is the start of something, but I wouldn't say the sum of it.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptySun May 17, 2009 10:52 pm

Your question about summing up the bible in one scripture needs more definition. What bible are you talking about? The Hebrew bible, the Koran? Are you asking about the New or the Old Testament?
Without a scripture to quote, I would say "The End" would be the summary.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptyMon May 18, 2009 6:55 am

One thing about that particular scripture, it has more different and varied interpretations than any I can think of. How is one to say which are valid, or what the Elohist really meant by the obscure metaphor.

I wonder why it is that so many people who get upset by the idea that the Old and New Testaments of the Judeo-Christian Holy Book might be metaphorical get into such arguments over how to interpret certain passages. If the Book is truly to be taken literally, what is there to interpret?

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptyMon May 18, 2009 8:36 am

cc

Last edited by domenic Pappalardo on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptyMon May 18, 2009 8:56 am

Quote :
Daniel 8:3-8
3Then I lifted up mine eyes, and saw, and, behold, there stood before the river a ram which had two horns: and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher came up last.
4I saw the ram pushing westward, and northward, and southward; so that no beasts might stand before him, neither was there any that could deliver out of his hand; but he did according to his will, and became great.
And as I was considering, behold, an he goat came from the west on the face of the whole earth, and touched not the ground: and the goat had a notable horn between his eyes.
6And he came to the ram that had two horns, which I had seen standing before the river, and ran unto him in the fury of his power.
7And I saw him come close unto the ram, and he was moved with choler against him, and smote the ram, and brake his two horns: and there was no power in the ram to stand before him, but he cast him down to the ground, and stamped upon him: and there was none that could deliver the ram out of his hand.
8Therefore the he goat waxed very great: and when he was strong, the great horn was broken; and for it came up four notable ones toward the four winds of heaven.

Are you saying that this passage is not to be taken literally, then? That it is metaphorical, perhaps? How does one choose which passages to take literally?
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptyMon May 18, 2009 9:22 am

cc

Last edited by domenic Pappalardo on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptyMon May 18, 2009 9:25 am

Why don't you do the honors. I am curious to hear.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptyMon May 18, 2009 9:38 am

cc

Last edited by domenic Pappalardo on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptyMon May 18, 2009 9:43 am

I know who Alexander was.

So, the rams are not literally rams, but metaphors for kings, then? So the passage is not literal.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptyMon May 18, 2009 9:56 am

cc

Last edited by domenic Pappalardo on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptyMon May 18, 2009 11:44 am

Speaking of the message, has anyone read The Message? It's a paraphrase of the bible. I have found it incredibly poetic and moving.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? EmptyMon May 18, 2009 3:11 pm

domenic Pappalardo wrote:
Try Danial 8:20. This was written 1,000 or so years before Alexander was born. He was the first King of Media & Persia.
He died young. His four Generals divided up his empire, each taking a part.

More specifically, he was king of Macedonia and overthrew the Persian empire.
He was 33 when he died.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How well do you understand the bible?   How well do you understand the bible? Empty

Back to top Go down

How well do you understand the bible?
Page 1 of 1