Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

When is a story too personal?

Go down 
+2
Phil Whitley
Barpaio
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Barpaio

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-12

When is a story too personal? Empty
PostSubject: When is a story too personal?   When is a story too personal? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 7:32 pm

I have a couple stories I'm considering publishing though they are closely related to my family (I mark them as fiction to try and dissuade anyone from making any connections). I also have a really short story that involves a very personal time in my Father's life, when he was fighting in Vietnam? I'm not even sure if I can ask him to use it, I may just have to scrap it all together. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: When is a story too personal?   When is a story too personal? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 7:41 pm

There's nothing like a good slander or libel lawsuit to get you a LOT
of free publicity - almost as good as that old "Banned in Boston" tag.

If you go ahead with the project, be sure to use that disclaimer phrase
that goes something like "Any resemblance to any person, alive or dead,
is purely coincidendal and unintended."

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: When is a story too personal?   When is a story too personal? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 8:10 pm

If I was going to write anything based on a family member ... I would make sure they were okay with it.

Then again. I wouldn't write about my family. I love them and I respect their privacy.

However, I have used many of my family members names for my characters' names. Too many of them just have really good names and they love that I use their names in my novels.
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: When is a story too personal?   When is a story too personal? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 9:27 pm

deleted by merri

Last edited by merrihiatt on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: When is a story too personal?   When is a story too personal? EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 3:24 am

My historical novels are based on family. Most are no longer living. However, my cousin and my mother were both given my book to read before it was published. My cousin wanted me to change something and I did because it didn't change the story. My mother loved the books. She said I didn't get some things quite right but that was all right. They also seemed to help her resolve a few issues in her life.

One day a distant cousin called who I have only met once. He said he'd been up until 3:00 reading my book, that many of the stories he had heard while growing up in were in there. In one chapter there is apainting of a gray dog my great-great grandfather painted for his daughter. My distant cousin said, "I have that painting." I had completely made up that part. I often felt like there were ancestors looking over my shoulders putting ideas in my head for these historical novels.

What I could never write is a book about small town Wisconsin. I was a psychotherapist in our town for many years and know a great deal, and would be afraid I would put something in that someone would recognize. But a friend said I'd sell lots of books because people would want to see if they were in there.

I have a picture of my first three children as little kids on a possible cover for my Cuba book and a big poster I used for my husband's squadron reunion speech. They know it is there, and it doesn't bother them at all. They might act like it did but I'd still keep it there! I also have a picture of my husband getting into his jet, and he loves that of course.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: When is a story too personal?   When is a story too personal? EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 5:01 am

My first novel was "fiction," but when several members of my family read it, they commented that some of those fictional characters might sue me. So I've never tried to publish it, at least not as is, but it's a good story, so I still work on it, making some changes so that those characters aren't so recognizable.

My current work is much like Carol's, historical fiction about my ancestors. It, too is set well into the past, but there are one or two whose characterization might upset their descendants, one in particular whom I see as a villain.

I suppose publishing depends on how recognizable the characters are, and whether or not they are still living.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Barpaio

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: When is a story too personal?   When is a story too personal? EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 5:02 am

Y'all have offered some real clarification on the matter and I sincerely appreciate it. Thank you for your insight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When is a story too personal?   When is a story too personal? Empty

Back to top Go down

When is a story too personal?
Page 1 of 1