Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Signed Publishers Contract

Go down 
+3
Shelagh
Dick Stodghill
Sue
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Signed Publishers Contract Empty
PostSubject: Signed Publishers Contract   Signed Publishers Contract EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 am

Weaving Dreams Publishing (my company) signed its first author contract on December 1st. It is so exciting and scary at the same time. I am not actively soliciting manuscripts. They just seem to find their way to me.

This manuscript WOWWWWWWed me so much I couldn't put it down even to go to the bathroom! I explained to the author before she even submitted it that I was new to publishing and discussed my pros and cons as a new publisher. She said she knew because she had been following my book and myself. She has published other books and wanted me (can you believe it? Me?) to publish it. She has another book she is putting on hold. She was thinking about getting a New York agent and publish another book through a New York publishing house, but she is waiting to see how this one goes first. She said she is considering publishing that one with me too. It seems she likes my philosophy on life and on publishing. She loved the contract too. The only change she made was our commitment from 5 to 3 years: which I undersand as an author.

I don't believe an author should have to pay to have their book published by a publisher. Right now I can't give advances, but the royalties are comparable to other small publishing houses. She said it was all right because she got an advance from her last publisher and can't get any royalties until enough of her books sell to cover the advance.

I have turned down other manuscripts for different reasons. I do critique or tell the author why I am not taking their baby. I try to help them find an outlet or at least point them in a direction they may want to check out. I even had a woman ask me if she made the changes could she re-submit her manuscript. I said yes.

I am looking forward to this new journey that has been given to me.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Signed Publishers Contract   Signed Publishers Contract EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 5:53 am

You're a busy girl, Sue. Hope this new venture goes well for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Signed Publishers Contract   Signed Publishers Contract EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 7:25 am

I'll second that!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Gina
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Gina

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Signed Publishers Contract   Signed Publishers Contract EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 9:48 am

Good luck, Sue. It sounds so exciting. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.ginacolliasuzuki.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Signed Publishers Contract   Signed Publishers Contract EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 9:56 am

Sue,
you moved from being an author to becoming a publisher. That's quite an achievement.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Signed Publishers Contract   Signed Publishers Contract EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks Dick, Shelagh, and Gina. I appreciate it!

Abe, I am finding that being an author is what helps me be a publisher. I know what I wanted and needed when I was publishing. I feel that all authors have pretty much the same needs and desires and are looking for the same things. I would like to fill that need and make dreams come true as mine did. I have been so blessed!

The hat of editor is fitting better than author or writer right now. No time for the writing. Then I got to thinking, even though I have lots of books in me and have several WIP, if I might not be one of those people who are a one book published person? You know, like they use to say in the 50's and 60's about some singers. They were one song wonders. Something to definitely think about. I do know that I can achieve success in anything I put my hands to, so maybe being a publisher is just a break from the writing for a while. I know I can combine the two.

Just move out of the way!!!! Here I come!!!! ha ha ha
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Signed Publishers Contract   Signed Publishers Contract EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 10:37 pm

Congratulations, Sue. Go get'um!
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Signed Publishers Contract   Signed Publishers Contract EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 10:14 am

Congrats Sue. Sounds like a new door is opening in your life. Best of luck with this new venture.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Signed Publishers Contract   Signed Publishers Contract EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Thank you, Brenda and Peter. It is so exciting! Takes away from the writing though. I have just figured out how to use my time better and then this came along so now I have to revamp my time -- again. *sigh* *grin*

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Signed Publishers Contract   Signed Publishers Contract Empty

Back to top Go down

Signed Publishers Contract
Page 1 of 1