Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Newbie questions.... need advise on tax issues

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
roatan4us

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Newbie questions.... need advise on tax issues Empty
PostSubject: Newbie questions.... need advise on tax issues   Newbie questions.... need advise on tax issues EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi,
I am new here and in search of some information. My book will come out right around Christmas and I hope you can help me or point me in the right direction. I want to make sure I do things right from the beginning, so I don't have to go back to try to correct things I should have known.
Since there are several questions, I am just going to list them below:

• Do I need to get a business license? Or do I just report any income from the book on my regular 1040A tax return? How about tax write off's related to the book. I normally just go with the standard deduction.
  • When I sell books on my own, not through the publisher, I need to pay sales tax, right? Do I need a sales license to do that?

I know there are more questions, but I'll start here.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I am in the state of California.
Carl
Back to top Go down
http://www.theultimatepursuit.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Newbie questions.... need advise on tax issues   Newbie questions.... need advise on tax issues EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi Carl, and welcome to the forum.

Since tax laws differ from one area to another, I would strongly recommend that you consult an accountant. If money is a bit tight, you can often garner some advice through your local business development association, chamber of commerce or local library.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie questions.... need advise on tax issues   Newbie questions.... need advise on tax issues EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 5:56 am

You would be wise to follow Pam's advice if you plan to sell books yourself. That varies from state to state. Royalty payments are just reported as income, but it can get complicated when you sell books yourself. If you do that, be prepared for some serious bookkeeping or risk problems down the road.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie questions.... need advise on tax issues   Newbie questions.... need advise on tax issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie questions.... need advise on tax issues
Page 1 of 1