Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

100 years ago

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

100 years ago Empty
PostSubject: 100 years ago   100 years ago EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 4:23 am

One hundred years ago in Belgium, the Germany army faced the British.  The soldiers decided to call a truce unknown to the Generals.  On TV last night, they showed pictures of German and British soldiers presenting Christmas trees to one another and engaging in a game of Soccer.  After the truce, they were required to start shooting one another.  I can only imagine that many of the shots went over the heads of the declared enemy.  I can’t imagine shooting someone that a day before I had shook his hand and patted him on the back.  War is declared by politicians and top Generals while the troops are supposed to kill the other.  Just doesn’t make sense.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

100 years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: 100 years ago   100 years ago EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Star Trek, the series, made the absurdity of war very clear. Instead of killing anyone, they fought the war by computer.  Then the number killed by either side was collected from volunteers and murdered.  A very humane war.  The problem:  the war went on indefinitely because no one felt the pain of death but those who volunteered to die. 

War is barbaric, archaic and just plain wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

100 years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: 100 years ago   100 years ago EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 11:25 pm

Agree DK.  There are hawks within our government as well as the populace that think killing is the answer to solving problems, however we find that reaction to aggression tends to perpetuate the problems.  Fortunately we do have some "peacemakers" who try to find non-violent solutions.  They are in the minority and their voices are quieted by the opposition.  In our recent past in government, we had President Carter and now we have President Obama.  Both heavily criticized and yet with the courage to speak out and do what they can to improve relations with the so-called enemy.  A post on FB attributed to Carter where he talked about Christian values using examples. 
Strange how the religious right seem to be the most war-like.  Trying to understand this boggles the mind.
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

100 years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: 100 years ago   100 years ago EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 10:51 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Strange how the religious right seem to be the most war-like.  Trying to understand this boggles the mind.
 I said it before...come on, say it with me "Crusades"!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

100 years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: 100 years ago   100 years ago EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 10:54 am

Yep.  They have the Crusader mentality.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content