Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality

Go down 
+2
dkchristi
alj
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality Empty
PostSubject: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 8:47 am

Madisyn's on a roll this week:
Quote :
dailyom.com

Sight Versus Vision

June 26, 2014
Seeing Inside
Sight Versus Vision
by Madisyn Taylor

Vision comes from within and shows us how to navigate the realms of thought, feeling, and emotion.

Sight is the ability to see the physical world while vision is the gift of seeing beyond it. Sight enables us to take the physical world in so we can participate in it with knowledge. ......

As anyone who has lost their eyesight can tell you, though, there are things that are clearer when you cannot see the world through your eyes.......

As we age, even those of us with perfect eyesight will generally lose some of our acuity, but this loss is usually replaced with inner vision. This is the time of life when we are meant to turn inside and take what are sometimes the very first steps of a journey that cannot be traced on a map. We call upon intuition and feel our way along a path that ultimately carries us beyond the realm we can see with our eyes and into the land of spirit.

She can be a bit over the top New Age sometimes, but then, I lean in that direction myself.  I agree with her on the relationship between growing older and becoming more spiritual.  We may not see as sharply with our eyes, but we sense more about the way the world works, I think.

Spirituality becomes more than religion, which tends to limit our insight rather than enhancing it.  Eastern wisdom speaks of the 6th chakra, or the 3rd eye, which is a source of intuitive seeing.  In modern times it has become connected with the pineal gland, a tiny gland which is part of the limbic system in our brains.

Encourage you to read the whole article.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 9:48 am

I used to say that we are born into this world as a soul plopped into a being naked, nearly hairless, with a blank slate ready to experience the world.

We leave this world by passing through naked before clothes by loved ones or the undertaker, nearly hairless with a blank slate ready to experience the next world.

As departure nears, it appears that the soul makes itself known through wisdom, contemplation and inner sight, as though it's getting ready to reconnect with its beginning before traveling on.

Like any such story, it is just that.  It is a pleasant way to make death less threatening and more a birth into the soul's next realm.  If we are just organic and no soul exists then that last gasp of wisdom in the reward for life's journey just before the end.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 9:56 am

Interesting.  Would love to discuss these concepts in more detail, but realize it is not possible on a forum.  What we can glean through the inner sight of another does help.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 10:07 am

My theory falls apart though with untimely death.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 10:24 am

dkchristi wrote:

I don't know, DK. Lot's of studies on NDE's indicate one has the chance for life review, etc.

Too bad Ron Kruger doesn't post here anymore. His book, A Higher Good, has much to say about the circumstances.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 10:25 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Interesting.  Would love to discuss these concepts in more detail, but realize it is not possible on a forum.  What we can glean through the inner sight of another does help.

Why not?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 10:58 am

alj wrote:
dkchristi wrote:

I don't know, DK.  Lot's of studies on NDE's indicate one has the chance for life review, etc.

Too bad Ron Kruger doesn't post here anymore.  His book, A Higher Good, has much to say about the circumstances.

When did Ron Kruger post here?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 11:24 am

alice wrote:
alj wrote:
dkchristi wrote:

I don't know, DK.  Lot's of studies on NDE's indicate one has the chance for life review, etc.

Too bad Ron Kruger doesn't post here anymore.  His book, A Higher Good, has much to say about the circumstances.

When did Ron Kruger post here?

Did he not? This forum's early days run together with the old AS board. I still miss him. He would have much to say about NDE's.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 11:34 am

You'll find Ron here:

http://www.publishedauthors.org/Inspiration-h39.htm
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 11:38 am

I keep up with him n FB.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 3:04 pm

6/26/2014

Just read Ron's page SHelagh put up, very interesting. Now as for DK's
                   post, yes I do agree we are born with a blank slate and all through life
                   soak up knowledge, as for re-carnation I don't believe in it. Now I used
                   to read Mary Baker Eddy's Science and Health years ago, I was struck by
                   something she said: " When we die we go from one dream to the next, or
                   one room to the next, we don't remember what has happened before." I
                   do believe you go to another plane or dimension, I think if I remember it
                   correctly this is the fifth dimension, if this is so maybe that's why we
                   don't see our loved ones who have passed on ? I wonder if they see us
                   and watch over us ?

Cheers.....Joe... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 4:17 pm

Just noticed that I failed to include the link to the article. Maybe that's why the responses took an odd turn. The article was not so much about life after death as it was about the inner life we live while still alive, especially as we get older. It's about who we are as opposed to what we do. We can get in touch with this inner Self through meditation, journling, or just reflecting, and is more about recognizing intuition as opposed to observing with our senses, which tell us more about what is going on outside of us than inside.

Here is that link:

http://www.dailyom.com/articles/2014/43921.html
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 10:07 pm

Interesting and informative link, Ann. 
It touches on things that we previously discussed concerning insights and that gut feeling. 
It also involves wisdom, a word difficult to explain or define.  I think it is a culmination of our life experiences together with instincts – yet another mysterious factor.  I don't think one must fully understand something to accept and utilize it.  If my experiences tell me that by following my gut feeling helped me make the right decisions, that experience is good enough for me.  To accept something doesn't require complete understanding.  That is where I differ from many who require proof of everything before acceptance.  It is also clear from discussions on this forum that there are unknowns that are not easy to explain, yet they mean much to the individual.  Ann, when you said, “Why not?” to delving into some subjects, for me it is too much work to try and explain my feelings especially when the source is unknown.  To be continually challenged by comments is often troublesome or frustrating and just not worth the effort.

Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 6:13 am

The thing about discussing meta-physics, it seems to me, is that there are no right/wrong comments. We each share our perspectives; there is nothing to prove because we are talking about non-material perceptions. Analogy works better than logic in such discussions, and acceptance of one's own experience is a natural response. We might say, "I see," but that is an analogy as well, since our eyes have nothing to do with our understanding.

Spirituality is not quite the same thing as religion. There are no sides to take, unless one takes the stand that only the material/physical exists, but that just cuts off conversation.

That's the way I "see" it, anyway.

Thanks for the input, Abe.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 6:39 am

Here are the facts.  So long as a discussion is about facts and ideas, it is valuable.  However, some people get stuck on an idea and then label another person as ill-informed, ignorant, without God or a sinner or destined for eternal fire because they express a metaphysical thought that differs from theirs.

I am proud that I attend Unity Church of Bonita Springs.  It is a Christian church.  That said, most of the Christian churches consider it a cult because it sees the Bible and other religious texts as guides with metaphysical lessons and messages, not the literal truth.  The "truth" is unknown in our congregation so we seek understanding, serenity, peace, love and acceptance through reading, meditation, our own prayer understanding and communicating with each other. There's lots more, but the point is that it's a church that leads its members to explore other religions and spiritual ideas, not ignore nor negate them.  There is no comfort in its dogma as there isn't one.

One "truth" however, is the belief that most spiritual leaders from the beginning of recorded history had some version of "love they brother as thyself."  So we believe that is a good guide point and try to implement that idea in many ways.

It ties into wisdom and insight because its manner of finding a moral compass or a life path is through medication and hearing the voice within that some call Spirit or God or Creator or Christ or many other names for the inner voice many of us hear.  In fact, we seem to have a lot of members who are sure they are uniquely channeling God in the words they say and write and teach.  I believe we all channel the spirit within when we are wise, insightful and especially as those traits grow in older age and in many cases lead to inspiration.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 6:42 am

Was listening to Clarissa Pinkola Estes' Creative Fire audiobook again last night.  Near the end she talks about how creative people, especially writers and artists, often have a strong inner life.  It's the source for their creations, the home of the muse, and where the images and stories come from.  She is a Jungian, so she might have called it the "collective unconscious."  For me, it not only stirs my imagination, it reassures me that something beyond the material does exist.

DK, we seem to be cross-posting. Will read yours carefully before responding to it.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 6:49 am

I wish the Unity Church here in SA were not so far across town; I would attend it. I visit the Unity website fairly often, and find it inspirational. The Episcopal Church US, as well as several other denominations, is moving in that direction, but hasn't convinced many of the southern diocese as yet.

Good post.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 6:52 am

Sometimes, even with my purported "open mind" I am judgmental of what I call "God-talkers."  They pepper their language with "God told me to do this" and "Christ told me to do that" and "God be with you" and "Christ be with you" and it applies to other religions as well. I judge those people to be showing off their beliefs to make someone not using their "God-talk" look less spiritual.

With this discussion, however, I see that in my own way I do the same thing.  I don't say that God channels through me, but I readily say that truthfully, Ghost Orchid was an inspired book from the magic of the beauty and mystery in the ghost orchid blooming on my birthday.  So, where did the inspiration come from?  It came from within.  Using someone else's words, it came from God if that is the name I give my inner voice.

Have you ever had those shoulder tapping experiences where you swear God was there giving you a message?  Unlike the God-talkers, I don't have them every day - but the ones I had are memorable.  They did occur.  Just like the miracles that I "doubt" sometimes in the lives of speakers collecting donations for their telling of their own "miracles" and "tap-tap" experiences.  Theirs are as real to them as mine to me.  How dare I write them off as exploiters! Judgment is not mine to make.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 6:57 am

Yes, Unity is not the only one and their web site is great.  I have sent prayers to Unity Village where they pray 24 hours a day.  If I am desperate, my spiritual side becomes stronger.  Their little book The Daily Word is a work of inspiration too.

There are other congregations in specific denominations that are finding their way to a more open view of spiritual thought also.  Not to negate the themes from the past, but to use them in a modern sense with what knowledge we have available to us in a modern world.

Unity congregations vary as people vary.  Many members have their own metaphysical journeys that are not the same as mine, but we all believe we are on a journey and have that in common.

We are big on meditation and prayer to find our inner voice.  That is also an aspect of other eastern religions and I like that part a lot.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 7:00 am

For me, they are the instances of synchronicity - often in the form of books that I feel inexplicably drawn to. More than once I have been in a bookstore and felt drawn to a book, have bought it, and was disappointed when I first read it, but then, sometimes years later, I would have a problem remember that book, pull it from its place on the shelves, and find an answer to the current problem.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 7:01 am

"They" being the "shoulder tappings" from your previous post.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 10:04 am

DK.  I agree with you about the "God told me" thing.  I don't think that showing off is a God thing.  It seems to be to be a self-adulation thing.  It is interesting as well as comforting to know that we are not alone with those innter voices/thoughts.  The "God" thing is okay realizing that it is a word to define the intelligence that is around us. 
There is a bird that comes everyday and sits on the wires above the house and talks (bird talk).  I try to imitate the sounds but fall short.  I wonder if that bird is trying to communicate with me or just doing his/her bird thing.  In any event, the communication is well-received.
My grand daughter from Virginia is visitng with us.  Today we went to the Zoo and she had a great time.  The animals seemed to be talkative as well.  Looking them in the eye and talking back to them seems absurd, but I think that they can sense what is being communicated.  Their reaction says much. 
I could say that I took my wife to the Zoo and she refused to stay. Evil or Very Mad 
My wife used her Rollator and did very well.  Afterwards she was exhausted, as was I.  Grandparents trying to keep up with Grand kids is not an easy thing to do.  They remind us of the energy we once had.  Natalie is taking German in school and is getting some practice using it.  She loves to take the bike and go to the next village to purchase Bröchen.  We have a small bakery in our village, but prefers the bike ride.  I have much angst until she returns.  I worry about her having an accident and lying somewhere along the way.  If she doesn't return within a reasonble time frame, I feel the need to go looking for her.

Sorry for the diversion from the subject.  My awareness of my surroundings, especially nature, gives me special meaning.  It is a personal thing and not something to boast about or promote.  I sense that I am not alone in my thoughts. 
I am convinced that someday we will be able to communicate by thought.  Some may already have the ability to do that, however to do it consciously would be a great asset.  Sure would save lots of talking and typing.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 10:16 am

Personally, I kind of like talking and writing. Not sure I would want to share all my thoughts, or be aware of the thoughts of others. I pick up on too much of their stuff already.

Just an observation - not meant as a challenge.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 10:58 am

They made movies like that - a very funny one the name of which I can't remember.

I have a bird feeder just outside my office window on a plumeria (frangiopanji).  I have had armies of birds seeking seed from that one feeder from the painted buntings to doves and blackbirds.  I prefer the colorful birds like the bright orange and velvet read cardinals.  One of the cardinals brought their children to feed and took the seed to them as they teetered on the branch.

I note my parrot talks and whistles beautifully when I am chatting with friends - as though she wants to join in the conversation.

That was one thing I liked about the movie, Avatar, was the belief that all of nature was connected.  That makes lots of sense to me.  They have scientific evidence that talking to plants improves them (the extra carbon dioxide).
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 10:25 pm

We are told that we use only a fractional part of our brain.  Are the limitations self-inposed?
We are also told that “nothing is impossible”.  If that is true, why are we so apt to resist what has not been scientifically proven? 
We say that we want to hear the truth and yet fear it.  Our gut tells us right from wrong, true from false, and we reject it without some form of evidence.  Wouldn’t it be great to know when someone is lying by reading their thoughts?  That is especially true when listening to politicians.  We feel (in our gut) that they are lying, yet want to believe that they are sincere in what they say.  I believe that we know much more than we are willing to acknowledge.  Are the limitations we place on ourselves self-imposed? 
Words are powerful.  We read what someone says and yet may feel that there is a hidden message behind the words.   An analogy may be with the words in the Bible.  Do we take the words literally or try to understand a deeper meaning?  In everyday life, words can be used to inflame without being direct.  Can we rely on our senses to tell us the true meaning?  I believe we can.  I believe that very sensitive people have this capacity.  It is not always what we hear, but rather what we feel about a person or what a person says.  Are we being manipulated or being told the truth?  Going with your gut feeling may be the path to follow.
I believe that we are connected to the power of the universe.  Everything we want or need to know is available to us.  Accepting the insights we receive however, is a problem.  Our minds go into that “accept or reject” mode.  Without some evidence, those insights are placed in the rejection pile. 
We study human behavior and even go so far as to interpret body language.  Why not the meaning behind words?  If we evaluate the history of what a person has written, is it not possible to interpret the truth of what they are saying without relying on the words?
Sorry for the mind dump.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality   Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality Empty

Back to top Go down

Seeing beyond our eyes' ability to image reality
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next