Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Communication Process

Go down 
+3
E. Don Harpe
Charlie Moore
dkchristi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Communication Process Empty
PostSubject: Communication Process   Communication Process EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 4:20 pm

It would be good for everyone on a forum to have a little class in communicating fairly.  Same for Facebook and other social media.

First:  These are strangers.  Treat each person with respect and their ideas as opinions and not the total of who they are and feel about the world in its entirety.

Second:  Express opinions in "I statements" instead of "you statements."  None of us are in the mind, heart or soul of anyone else.  Therefore, it is the highest ego centrism to assume we know how anyone else thinks.

Third:  Refrain from labeling people by the ideas they present.  Labels are shortcuts for the mind to organize information.  Fight the shortcuts in favor of expressing opinions with facts and supporting information instead of running out of ideas and resorting to name-calling.  Name calling is a "you statement."  Stick with "I statements."

Fourth:  Remember that all statements are in a public forum.  Prepare them carefully as though standing on a stage in front of a million people - you are - in fact on Facebook they call it the "country of Facebook."

This is just a beginning - anyone else may be free to start with four.  They are not in priority order.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Charlie Moore
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Charlie Moore

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Communication Process   Communication Process EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 4:32 pm

All of your suggestions make good sense to me, Diane. I grew up being taught that I should treat others with the respect I wished them to treat me with.
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Communication Process   Communication Process EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 4:47 pm

But DK and Charlie, some people are just plain idiots and you can tell it from what they post. I've always thought one should tell the truth whenever you can.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
DMPierson
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
DMPierson

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Communication Process   Communication Process EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 8:01 pm

I try and write on any forum I go the same way I speak to people.  Even if I've never met or will ever meet the people I'm talking to, I do my utmost to treat people with respect.  But of course, respect is something so easily broken, and so hard to rebuild.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Communication Process   Communication Process EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Seems to me, the most important thing is that each of us has a different perspective - one that is influenced by our personal past experiences as much as our perceptions of present reality.  No one can see the total picture and everyone has something of value to add.  The more we broaden our perspectives by taking in the perceptions of others, the closer we can come to seeing true reality.  However, no matter how much we take in, there is always more to be seen, and that something more can change everything.

So, we should always keep an open mind and understand that all each of us can contribute is our own limited point of view.  As DK says, we should stick to the "I see" and avoid judging or labeling  the "you."

We are all in this together, folks.  We need each others perceptions and contributions to get a larger picture - one that comes closer to the Whole, even if that Whole is beyond even our collective grasp.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Communication Process   Communication Process EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 10:35 pm

Good idealistic views, DK & Ann.  As for Don’s remarks about speaking the truth, I prefer that, but it is rarely a good solution.  The expression that the truth hurts is very real.   I believe that there will come a time, not in my lifetime, when we will be able to read the thoughts of others.  If you think we have problems now, it will be devastating for many.  Politicians will suffer.  There will be claims of sexual-thought harassments, etc., etc.  For acceptance of our views, it is not what we say, but how we say it.  Labeling doesn’t get a positive response except from those of like minds.  Taking the time to express our thoughts/views in a clear manner can avoid much animosity. 
It is clear that we are on a public forum.  Now with the NSA openly snooping, complete privacy is gone.  The only thing we can currently keep private is our thoughts unless we choose to reveal them.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Communication Process   Communication Process EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 4:35 am

We'll never be able to read the thoughts of others, Abe. Our brains are too chaotic and our thoughts too fleeting to make sense even to ourselves unless we focus. We are bombarded with information that the brain filters out. A big enough task for the brain to perform for an individual without having to filter information from someone else's brain:

http://www.johnhorgan.org/the_myth_of_mind_control__will_anyone_ever_decode_the_human_brain__39696.htm

DK, I treat the 'net exactly the same as the high street. I would not do or say anything on the 'net that I would not do or say in a public place. If I came across a street party and found everyone laughing and having fun, I would join in. If invited to join a private party, I would try not to outstay my welcome. If I was on the street alone, surrounded by strangers, I would be careful about the things I said and bide my time until I knew the strangers better. The Internet is a very visible place.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Communication Process   Communication Process Empty

Back to top Go down

Communication Process
Page 1 of 1