Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

A question about author's credit

Go down 
+4
zadaconnaway
Sue
Don Stephens
Jediblues
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jediblues

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-08-12

A question about author's credit Empty
PostSubject: A question about author's credit   A question about author's credit EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 12:47 pm

I have a question I was hoping someone here could help me with. First I will give a little background information so that you understand my question.

I am currently writing a novel. I meet every week, sometimes twice a week, with a couple of friends of mine that are teachers. We go over the latest chapter, and they critique the chapter. Out of those sessions come some really good ideas, some get incorporated into the book, others do not. But I think it is fair to say some of underlying themes of the book have come from these sessions, and they certainly help me improve each chapter. I do all the actually writing, but they have come up with some really great ideas.

If at the end of this journey the books gets published, who gets the author credit? I know I do all the writing, but they too have contributed. I'm really interested in knowing the proper way of going about author's credit.

Thank you for your time.
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: A question about author's credit   A question about author's credit EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 4:20 pm

Personally, on the dedication page I would say something like:

Thanks to xxxx and yyyy for their help and contribution in making this novel a reality.

Just a thought, you wrote it...you're the AUTHOR!
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: A question about author's credit   A question about author's credit EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 4:47 pm

I agree with DJ. That is the way I would do it. That was my first thought before I even read his reply.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: A question about author's credit   A question about author's credit EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 10:36 pm

I agree, just an acknowledgement of their help is enough. Like Don said, you wrote it, and YOU are the author. You often see the like on the first page of a novel after the title page.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: A question about author's credit   A question about author's credit EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 5:30 pm

I agree--acknowledge their contribution nicely, and then you are set. A bunch of flowers or a gift card for endless cups of coffee goes a long way too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: A question about author's credit   A question about author's credit EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 6:42 pm

I'd read some acknowledgments found in books. It amazes me how many people are thanked. I have gotten ideas, information, and many other great help from others, some from authors right here on this messageboard.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: A question about author's credit   A question about author's credit EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 7:24 am

Credit is very important to writers

since we never have any cash.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: A question about author's credit   A question about author's credit EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Wow, lin, so that is what you look like!? This is the first I have seen a pic of you. I have been absent here. *grin*

Handsome fellow!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: A question about author's credit   A question about author's credit EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 1:07 am

Sue,
you have a good eye.

I find it difficult to respond to posts where there is no picture. To me it is like talking to a wall. I seldom get involved with threads where I don't know with whom I'm dealing.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: A question about author's credit   A question about author's credit EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 8:53 am

Hi, Abe,

Well, I prefer to see a photo of the person. However, on facebook as I am adding authors as friends I really like to see the bookcover because you usually can't see their info until you have invited them. Unfortunately I can't have it both ways. Shame they don't let us put up 2 photos side-by-side.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A question about author's credit   A question about author's credit Empty

Back to top Go down

A question about author's credit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Information-
Jump to: