Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack Empty
PostSubject: U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack   U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 4:14 am

Quote :
The U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other embassy staff were killed in a rocket attack on their car, a Libyan official said, as they were rushed from a consular building stormed by militants denouncing a U.S.-made film insulting the Prophet Mohammad.

Gunmen had attacked and burned the U.S. consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi, a center of last year's uprising against Muammar Gaddafi, late on Tuesday evening, killing one U.S. consular official. The building was evacuated.

The Libyan official said the ambassador, Christopher Stevens, was being driven from the consulate building to a safer location when gunmen opened fire.

"The American ambassador and three staff members were killed when gunmen fired rockets at them," the official in Benghazi told Reuters.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/12/us-libya-usa-attack-idUSBRE88B0EI20120912

Is the violence ever justified?

There is no "right" side. There are only victims. All violence is senseless. Retaliation solves nothing.

We are all part of one earth.

What can each of us do to help others recognize that fact?

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack   U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 6:04 am

For one thing, the people in these United States can work on how we communicate with each other and stop the hate mongering that has gone on unchecked since the election of President Obama. Hate mongering has always seemed an underlying current in this country that I cannot understand. Many people are ready to throw verbal stones at entire groups of people. Perhaps it started with the American Indian - by demeaning an entire race of people it makes it possible to salve the conscience when heinous actions are implemented. That is a tactic of military training - necessary to change boys into murdering military machines.

Yes, I know we are more socialized and integrated than the tribal systems of many countries where they actually kill each other for religious and political differences. However, we also have the capacity to use our experience and intelligence to not behave similarly in our intent and words. Those ranting and raving television and radio commentators who earn $millions arousing the hate gene in the American people contribute to the angst that allows the disrespectful words, graphics, films, etc. that are produced here.

Those who wear the "cloak of God" and speak from the pulpit also contribute. My understanding of Christ is that his business was peace and love and brotherly caring for the least of us. How preachers can turn that into the hell, fire and ranting against other religions, peoples and political thoughts is beyond comprehension.

Every prophet I have studied had a program similar to Christ. Their ascension into spiritual life represented their separation from the turmoil of this earth, finding a peaceful place of harmony to which humankind at its best will strive.

Take the money out of politics and perhaps it can be a contest of opinion, policies and goals where people have discussions instead of personal attacks, mud slinging and defamation of character. So long as the politicians do not legislate the specifics of their religious dogma, why would I care what church they do or do not attend? So long as they do not enter my intimate and personal life, why should I care about theirs? They should all be vetted equally for any qualities that would be a threat to the national safety - a public vetting against uniform standards that apply equally to all.

I'm going to stop my rant. I am tired of the stuff posted to my Facebook that is hateful and demeaning and contributes nothing but the stirring of hateful emotions to the political discussion.

If we can't clean up our own house, it's a little difficult to send a crew to someone else's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack   U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:20 am

Thanks DK. Your feelings are shared.

We view hate and retaliation in other parts of the world and condemn it when it suits, but fail to see any similarity with our own. DK, a good rant now and then is healthy. Sometimes we need that to place some focus on reality.

As for politics, yesterday I picked up a cousin of Hermann Frech from the Airport, visiting from Florida - a staunch Republican wearing a Romney button. We haven't discussed politics - yet, but this time around I don't intend to be too polite in my response if/when the subject comes up. I did say that I would be traveling to the States to cast my vote. She said, "Why bother making the trip? My vote will just cancel yours out."

I think that race has much to do with Obama haters. That feeling is based on political cartoons and that include signs posted on church bulletin boards. So sad that so-called Christians openly show bigotry and hate. Perhaps it is the most honest thing they do.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack   U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:38 am

I just listened to Governor Romney making hay from a heinous loss of life. It's all I can do to keep myself from saying "what a fraud!" It looks like another Bush to me; he had trouble reading the notes someone else wrote and reverted to a memorized statement to answer the open ended reporter questions. In my mind I keep hearing, "what a fraud, what a fraud" in spite of my desire to eliminate name-calling from the political arena.

I'm sure his handlers saw this as an opportune moment for politics; reality is that it is a moment for unity. not discord. for real patriots, not frauds. It is one more example of the business approach to government - the ends justifies the means.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack   U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:48 am

Romney is a fool. Let's not give credence to his attempt to manipulate a tragedy by contributing to the politicalization of a situation that needs to be faced with a cool objectivity.

What other circumstance could show us that the hatred that grows from polarization and extremism and invariably leads to senseless violence.

This should be a time of coming together, not exacerbating the issue.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack   U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:36 am

This BBC article gives a current picture of the circumstances and repercussions:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19588575

Quote :
Iran's official Arabic-language channel al-Alam says protests are spreading throughout the Arab region, from Cairo to Yemen, Tunisia and Morocco. Syrian state TV sees a rare chance to shift attention from troubles at home, and devotes much of its morning bulletin to the protests in the Middle East, highlighting the now discredited claim that the film was made by an Israeli and portraying it as part of a US-led "war against Arabs and Muslims".

Ann
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack   U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack Empty

Back to top Go down

U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Current Events-
Jump to: