Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

What makes a good character?

Go down 
+5
Abe F. March
Betty Fasig
alj
Shelagh
bwashington4
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bwashington4

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-01-14

What makes a good character? Empty
PostSubject: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 11:23 am

Hello. My name is Brittany Washington and I introduced myself in the welcome forum as an aspiring author, journalist and college student from Elon University. For my class blog, I have to reach out to authors and ask a question related to my topic, which is writing. So my question is what makes a good character? Is it his or her personality? How they react to situations? Their life stories? What makes people fall in love with characters? With your permission, I will be quoting you and putting you on my blog. Everyone feel free to respond, but I will contact you before I take any quote and put it in my blog. If you have any questions or want more information private message me. Thanks for your time.

I was going to add my blog address and email, but as a new member, I'm not allowed to for 7 days and of course the story is due in less than 7 days.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Well-written characters are believable and have recognisable traits. They do not behave "out-of-character"; flawed characters remain flawed and reliable characters do not let anyone down or run off with their best friend's wife. Good characterisations are based on the characters' actions, appearance and dialogue.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 4:15 pm

I agree with Shelagh, Brittany, but I might ask, how do you define "good"? If you mean "well-defined," then a character that you have shown to lack integrity, might actually,in a literal sense, and in the course of your story, "run away with his best friend's wife."

But only if you have prepared us (your readers) for the possibility.

"Good" characters remain true to themselves.

The best way, IMVHO, to create good characters, is to explore them as thoroughly as possible. Know, before you begin writing a scene, just how that individual would react, what tone of speech s/he would use, and what words s/he might say to put hi/r point across.

A good character is well known by the writer.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Dear Brittany,
I am by no means an expert, but I think that all characters come out of the the experiences of the writer. The character may be a small animal or any other grand personage, but for the character to be believed the author must step out of themselves and be that character while they are writing. In the beginning of the writing the words may come out in a gush that needs editing and fine tuning, but the essence of the story has to be blurted out.
My opinion.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 5:29 pm

What Betty said.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 2:05 am

The character(s) must be believeable. Credibility with characters give credibility to the story unless you're writing science fiction.
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:25 am

I agree with Abe, with the exception of, even if you're writing science fiction, the characters still have to lend credibility to the story.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:48 am

"My wife ran off with my best friend, and I miss him."
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:53 am

Well-written characters define themselves to readers more by their actions and what they say (and by other characters' reactions) and less by your description of them. Let the reader get to know them. Make each character behave differently from the others, and thus reveal the unique qualities that define characters.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:12 am

Al Stevens wrote:
"My wife ran off with my best friend, and I miss him."
He phoned to say that he was sorry that he'd run off with my wife.
I told him, "I would be sorry, too!"
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
bwashington4

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I will be getting in touch with some of you very soon. These are all great responses.
Back to top Go down
bwashington4

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks again for all the responses. Here's the story: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And if you would like to help me out another project, please take this short quiz.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 10:45 am

Hi Brittany!

I just read your blog. Well done. I very much enjoyed it.

I hope you have a great semester.

ps - took the survey too.
Back to top Go down
bwashington4

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Charlie Moore
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Charlie Moore

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 6:22 pm

For me a great character leaps off the page and becomes a part of me. When a reader becomes the character then the writer has done a very good job of characterization ... in my opinion. Louis L'Amour, who wrote mostly westerns, was very good with characterization.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good character?   What makes a good character? Empty

Back to top Go down

What makes a good character?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Information-
Jump to: