Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Miami City Ballet

Go down 
+2
joefrank
dkchristi
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Miami City Ballet - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miami City Ballet   Miami City Ballet - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 8:32 am

10/30/2011

LC...

I put up those paintings for DK to enjoy, I don't look
at ballet what race, nor do I look at actors that way,
I look at both to see who is the great performer....
Race shouldn't have anything to do with performers.

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Miami City Ballet   Miami City Ballet - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 8:38 am

Quote :
Race shouldn't have anything to do with performers.

So any idea why the Miami ballet is all white? Smile
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Miami City Ballet   Miami City Ballet - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 10:52 am

Miami ballet is all white because the very best black American dancers are in the UK:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2010/dec/04/black-ballet-cassa-pancho
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Miami City Ballet   Miami City Ballet - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 11:05 am

I'm sure the Alvin Ailey could give them a run for the money.

One of the comments on that article said something to the effect that cultural diversity means that different cultures gravitate to different things. If everyone does the same thing, what happens to diversity? Of course that would mean defining what diversity even means.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Miami City Ballet   Miami City Ballet - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 11:21 am

I must agree that labels really confuse the issue since so few things have finite boundaries.

It is my personal belief and experience that a lot of sameness creates more of the same. However, every trend has its exceptions.

I found Miami a very exciting city; those who live in New York City and love it (you either love a big city or hate it; seems there's no 'okay' to a description of life in a big city) consider New York exciting.

For me, part of the excitement was the cosmopolitan effect of so many different cultural influences. I feel challenged and excited when I have new experiences and I believe I am more creative by taking those experiences and blending them into something new and wonderful.

Therefore, for me, a city of diversity offers more experiences that are different and challenging that force me to think in new ways. The exercise of my mind makes it sharper. I believe I am not the only person who reacts to diversity in that way. Universities have often encouraged an international student body for similar reasons.

As regards the Miami Ballet, I did overlook the recruitment aspect. I was thinking "Miami" meant from Miami and more likely it means performing in Miami as mentioned by LC. Therefore, the city would not have as much influence on the company as I might have thought.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Miami City Ballet   Miami City Ballet - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 11:32 am

LC wrote:

One of the comments on that article said something to the effect that cultural diversity means that different cultures gravitate to different things. If everyone does the same thing, what happens to diversity? Of course that would mean defining what diversity even means.
It's a good point, actually. In an earlier post you mentioned the disparity in academic achievement among different racial groups. Scientists can measure limb lengths and widths, assess body fat percentages, monitor heart rate and lung capacity and make other physical measurements. Human intellectual ability has a great deal to do with upbringing and stimulation. It's difficult to measure people (irrespective of race) with different upbringings in different environments. Basically, we are diverse within and without our race. If we were all the same, how would you allocate all the diverse jobs? It's diversity that makes the world go round.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miami City Ballet   Miami City Ballet - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miami City Ballet
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2