Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX Empty
PostSubject: MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX   MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 3:14 pm

I had an "ah hah!" moment today regarding several of my friends. They'll get in the car and start a political conversation with general statements about the economy, the President, political agendas, etc. and I'll feel like "deja vu."

I know why. They are quoting exactly (in the exact same words and intonation) the words they heard their favorite commentator say on a television or radio show.

Some of the negative comments that are not true have been repeated so often that they seem true.

What was my "ah hah!" moment? I realized that the problem in this country is that no one in the trenches has the energy left to think for themselves. They let the commentators think for them and repeat what they hear, even if it's not true. They pick a television or radio station and let it become their own voice. They speak with conviction because they are quoting their choice commentator.

Democracy needs an educated, thinking population to survive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX   MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Exactly! Too many uninformed opinions. Democracy can't work under the present circumstances.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX   MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 12:29 am

What DK said.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX   MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 1:38 am

Nothing's changed, DK. Before electronic media, the general populus quoted from newspapers. Before that they were simply kept ignorant and before that they didn't have the right to vote so it didn't matter what they thought.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX   MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 3:02 am

However, newspapers had reporters that were journalists, not ratings whores. The "opinion" section of the newspaper was exactly that - the editorials and the opinions of specific people.

Newspapers had a slant, but they at least made an effort to report facts and had standards about how many sources it took to report a story accurately. I was trained as a journalist; at least there were ethical standards whether they were followed was another matter.

Today, there are few journalists. They are found in the blogs if you know where to find them. They are sometimes interviewed on less slanted television shows.

The power of money and ratings control the news media and pretty much control our thoughts. In the U.S., we are divided into two camps: those who believe that everything will get better with less regulation, less government and more money in the hands of those who already have the most - those who are entitled to live well by virtue of having gained wealth. That group believes the have-nots are suffering from their own lack of initiative and just dregs on society. The other camp believes that all people have value and that to tap into the talents of everyone is a goal that requires government assistance to insure all children have a good start in life, that people in need deserve help with food, shelter and health care, that working people deserve a decent wage and benefits for their services and that the costs of government should be greater for those who benefit most from the labor of others. Each group has their own set of commentators who feed them support for their positions.

I am at my computer a lot and have the news shows in the background as well as in my car. I try to listen to a variety. I cannot stomach the venom and hate that comes from many commentators so I generally switch to a more sane delivery of information. Most of the people I know (certainly not a statistical sample) listen to one or two commentators on only one media source. I realized that when I heard several make the same venomous statements using the exact same words I had heard but discounted for their source.

I have always had friends with differing political views. The last ten years or so is the first time when the venom interferes with friendships. People are angry in their political discussions and as unbending as the Congress. A country of such diversity as the U.S. will always have to find a balance that requires people to negotiate and find common ground and work from their for policies to benefit as many people as possible. Unfortunately, self-interest seems to be the rule of the day. the milk of human kindness needs to be re-discovered.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX   MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 5:57 am

It is an undeniable fact that has been demonstrated here many times.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX   MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 7:35 am

DK, if you ever decide to run for office, you will have my vote.

It is difficult to find unbiased news reporting. When I met with reporters while in the M.E., they complained about their stories being changed by their editors to suit their sponsors. Finding truth in the media is become more difficult as DK pointed out. Money talks and it is money in the hands of the privileged few that control the media and our government. Revolution may be the only way to change things. The Wall Street demonstrations is a beginning and I hope more people will get involved.
Recently, my bank was swallowed up by a much larger bank. When I return to the States I will find a smaller bank and then tell my bank why I'm withdrawing my money and closing my account. The biggest retail event will soon be upon us, Christmas. Giving our money to retailers who are involved in the local community will help. Since money talks, it is one way to make the large retailers take notice. They need to give their business to local factories and not have their goods produced in the Far East.
It will be diffcult. The large retailers can beat the smaller ones on pricing. Paying a little more for US produced goods is one way to help the economy and fight against Tyrannical business conglomerates.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX   MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 8:47 am

There are many people who are pushing for more simplicity in our lives that includes buying local. It's not possible to "buy American" no matter what the provincials would have us believe. However, there are many instances where we can support the growth of local businesses, even those who import from other countries. We buy excessively for Christmas; I remember when one Christmas gift was a joy. Today, it's multiple gifts and gift cards and the more the better. That excess buying keeps stores in the black for the rest of the year!!! It's almost "un-American" to not go on a buying frenzy.

I agree that a more sensible buying approach where a quality gift that supports local industry is a double gift. I think looking for just a few special presents would be more in the spirit of Christmas than the manic frenzy that grabs most people, fueled by Madison Avenue.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX   MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 9:29 am

Those who have the means should definitely go on a spree. Get some toys for the needy kids too.
By helping others, we help ourselves.

Make sure Santa comes to town.

Don't forget cash for the bell ringer and door opener either.

MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX 995518 MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX 995518 MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX 995518

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX   MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 10:14 am

Expectations are that spending will be higher this year than last year. Some people have more money to spend than ever before. Have no fear, their world is unchanged by unemployment and desperation by 14 to 15 million people. Their spending will help short-term, low-pay, non-benefit retail employment so I, too, am in favor of spending away.

It would be helpful if they also spent away at those businesses that are poised to hire real employees with just a boost in purchases.

Those of us with less, can also concentrate on local businesses since we won't have a major effect in the big picture but can affect our own communities.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX   MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX Empty

Back to top Go down

MSNBC, CNN, NPR & FOX
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Current Events-
Jump to: